Barn find - 1994 Strada 1000 - recommissioning.......

Keeping it 4 now Dave..

100 yrs of Moto Guzzi next year & I rally should ride there.
Health & wealth permiting..

Loved ya blog (dunno if that’s the right word?) :nenau. and agree with you on the colour :thumb2
Tempted to take my 76 T3 Cali back for the 100th bit as ever will depend on time and money :blagblah:(

Fanks all for your kind comments.
Loved most of it, eventhough I wondered on occasions if I'd ever finish it..
Even with the distraction of buying the 700GS & selling my 650GS.

I also have to remember it takes me at least twice as long as an able bodied person to do most of it.
Thought it would take a year & so far it has, not that I'm a time frame.
No mains electricity in the garage also adds time, luckily my brothers house is 50 yards away for battery charging etc.
( it's his garage, that luckily I get to use FOC ).

Bit of a quandary now as 2 bikes in the garage is an idea number.
But I love a project & I'm sure it aids my busted body in terms of making me do things I overwise wouldn't especially with my hands / arms.
Fink I'll have to have a good clear out & make some room, for a new project.....
1100 / 1150 or another Guzzi is in my daft head...

:thumb

Fanks all for your kind comments.
Loved most of it, eventhough I wondered on occasions if I'd ever finish it..
Even with the distraction of buying the 700GS & selling my 650GS.

I also have to remember it takes me at least twice as long as an able bodied person to do most of it.
Thought it would take a year & so far it has, not that I'm a time frame.
No mains electricity in the garage also adds time, luckily my brothers house is 50 yards away for battery charging etc.
( it's his garage, that luckily I get to use FOC ).

Bit of a quandary now as 2 bikes in the garage is an idea number.
But I love a project & I'm sure it aids my busted body in terms of making me do things I overwise wouldn't especially with my hands / arms.
Fink I'll have to have a good clear out & make some room, for a new project.....
1100 / 1150 or another Guzzi is in my daft head...

:D Told ya!:blagblah:blagblah

Ahhhh, yes, of course :thumb2

Again, just out of interest, does that run off the crank or the distributer?

Andres

Distributer.
You take out the points, points plate & condensers & replace with Newtronic parts..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200229-011154.jpg
    Screenshot_20200229-011154.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 328
1100 / 1150 or another Guzzi is in my daft head

A Guzzi all day long over a (BMW?) The BM’s just a machine (a very good one admittedly), Guzzi’s have sole, they make u feel a passion for em. I never opened the garage door just to look at my GS when I had it. ;)

Distributer.
You take out the points, points plate & condensers & replace with Newtronic parts..

Ah cool, that's what I went with too (not optical but fitted to the distributor) :thumb2

Bike looks great Ash and it'd be fab to give her a blast down to Mandelo for the celebrations :)

Andres

1100 / 1150 or another Guzzi is in my daft head

A Guzzi all day long over a (BMW?) The BM’s just a machine (a very good one admittedly), Guzzi’s have sole, they make u feel a passion for em. I never opened the garage door just to look at my GS when I had it. ;)

The air heads & 11xx series have sole.
No were near as much mind...

But it will probably be another Guzzi..

The problem with Guzzis is it’s getting harder & harder to find them (Tonti) at sensible money........

Andres

Methinks I was extremely lucky to find such a rare Tonti framed Guzzi.
As most on the Guzzi club site have never seen one..

Must be all them Dafties stripping them to make ' cafe racers ' etc ( mikeyboy :pullface )
( I would of done that to the SP3 as well if it didn't have electronic gages & built in dash ) ;)

As it waz a dry / warm day. :Motomartin

I thought I would take the Strada over to my mates workshop for him to fit the Newtronic electronic ignition.
Make some cardboard exhaust bracket templates so his son can make them in metal 4 me..
And to look at the front master cylinder ( won't bleed ).

No I've only ridden it for 3 miles & it wasn't running great then, bearing in mind it had been sat since 2008, how & where good only knows. :nenau

So today I took the long way round 20 odd miles..
She runs lovely with a wallop of of power when you wind her up, now my 700GS is superb at most things, but has no soul & certainly nowhere near the power of the Strada.
You definitely have to hang on when she takes off, I waz aware I had very little right front brake but the linked system ' front left & rear are working fine.

She's quite smooth compared with my Convert & my 2 SP3's .
More than enough power, she easily accelerates to over legal speeds.

The white dialled speedo is all but useless as the outer number are in KPH & smaller inner in MPH & near impossible to read, I'll have to get some stickers so I know what speed I'm doing.

Plenty of wind blast without a screen, so one will definitely be going back on..

False neutrals a plenty :blast typical Guzzi..

I used my Airhawk cushion on to get a couple more inches to the foot pegs which helped my busted limbs..

All in all thoroughly enjoyed my first proper ride.. :)

When I got to the workshop my mate got his vacuum bleed kit out & the front master cylinder still wouldn't let much fluid through.
Now all the brake lines were blocked & the front master cylinder was full of sludge.
So I'm not surprised it wouldn't bleed. ( I couldn't get it to bleed ) :(

Now I could get a used one £30 - £66 + p&p but as I'm sadly aware of the consequences when the mucky stuff hits the fan.

A new Brembo PS 13 handlebar mounted front master cylinder will be ordered as I'm not messing about with the brake system have replaced all lines with braided hoses & new pads all round.. ;)

I think the Strada & I will get along fine, definitely keeping her..
( feck off laughing :pullface )

Once I get it back & MOT'd, I will fit the GIVI pannier rails, panniers & rear rack I bought via the Guzzi club for a £100, although there from a SP3 the rear end is the same..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200303-211221.jpg
    Screenshot_20200303-211221.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 564
  • 20200303_234003.jpg
    20200303_234003.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 568
You've done a grand job there Ash. :thumb

Lovely looking bike in a great colour.

Are the new exhaust brackets going to raise the silencers and maybe give a slight upsweep?
I ask because they just don't look right in your photos.
Forgive me if I missed you mentioning that.

After all the hours you put into that bike, how fantastic was it to get her out onto the road and feel her pulling so strongly?

Just brilliant.

respect

well done Ashley fantastic stuff I hope it brings you much more joy, particularly now that you are officially ancient!

You've done a grand job there Ash. :thumb

Lovely looking bike in a great colour.

Are the new exhaust brackets going to raise the silencers and maybe give a slight upsweep?
I ask because they just don't look right in your photos.
Forgive me if I missed you mentioning that.

Well spotted grass hopper... :D

These are replacement silencers, coming off a T4 which don't have upswept pipes..
So i don't think they can be, maybe a touch but certainly not much.

I'm not bothered as it's going to have the GIVI rack & panniers put on.
As I need to carry my sticks, medication, water etc with me.
If I keep it I will at sometime replace them with slightly upswept stainless silencers.

I have to work in a cost effective manner, no point spending more on it than its resale value & at this stage there fine. ;)
Plus once the panniers are on you hardly see the silencers.

With you mate, especially the cost aspect.
Like you said, with panniers on , it won't be an issue at all.

Damn fine looking bike. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom