Thread: Brake fluid flush 1999 BMW R1100RT non servo

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Brake fluid flush 1999 BMW R1100RT non servo

Quick question please, about to flush brake fluid completely, when it comes to the abs unit itself will it flush just pumping brake levers or does it need a vacuum to drag the fluid out?? ..... Cheers
    View my flickr site here aviation and bikes, 1.5 million views (use arrows on left & right to view)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65081372@N04/

Just pump from the Master cylinders to the ABS Unit

On the ABS unit you will see VR and HR stamped beside a bleed nipple each

HR = Hinter Rad or Rear Wheel

VR = VorderRad or Front wheel

Flush the fluid out of the respective nipple until you have fresh fluid and then on down to the respective calliper (s)
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

Just bleed the brakes until the new clear brake fluid comes through. Doesn't need any vacuum or fancy gear. There are 2 bleed nipples on top of the abs unit, but conventional bleeding will do. Saves removing the tank and fairing too.

Quote Originally Posted by kirby morgan View Post
    Just bleed the brakes until the new clear brake fluid comes through. Doesn't need any vacuum or fancy gear. There are 2 bleed nipples on top of the abs unit, but conventional bleeding will do. Saves removing the tank and fairing too.
    If it hasn;t been changed in a long while it is advisable to flush at the unit to get "all" of the contaminated stuff out
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Thanks all, it has not been flushed since ss lines were fitted in 2012, then it was only master cyl to calipers, did not flush abs unit, now have an abs fault with lights flashing, its been doing this since last august when battery failed, I can clear it with a reset and it lasts a while but keeps coming back, hoping a full flush will sort it.
    View my flickr site here aviation and bikes, 1.5 million views (use arrows on left & right to view)

Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider5258 (Mark) View Post
    Thanks all, it has not been flushed since ss lines were fitted in 2012, then it was only master cyl to calipers, did not flush abs unit, now have an abs fault with lights flashing, its been doing this since last august when battery failed, I can clear it with a reset and it lasts a while but keeps coming back, hoping a full flush will sort it.
    You should check the fault codes

AND check your ABS rings are not very rusty and the Air gaps are correct

If it happens just after a start up its the Low voltage warning

If it happens when you go over a certain speed every time its likely the ABS rings need a clean or the air gap needs checked

Quote Originally Posted by DrFarkoff View Post
    You should check the fault codes

AND check your ABS rings are not very rusty and the Air gaps are correct

If it happens just after a start up its the Low voltage warning

If it happens when you go over a certain speed every time its likely the ABS rings need a clean or the air gap needs checked
    The fault started when the battery failed last August, it was fine up to then, a new battery was fitted, and ever since the lights have flashed, the new battery is not faulty and is fully charged, the abs rings are fine, everything was fine till the battery failed, I can do a reset and it cures it , till next time I ride, the battery is on a ctek charger when not using and shows the battery fully charged,

I'm half way through a brake fluid flush and the fluid out of the abs unit was quite dark (Dirty) particularly the rear brake part, yet to do calipers, the bikes having a big service and I'm waiting for parts and tyres so wont be testing for a week or so.

Somebody on another forum said not to touch the abs unit and just flush through from master cylinders to caliper? is this correct? if so whys the abs unit got bleed nipples? I've done it anyway

All Done! was pretty dirty, especially from the rear circuit ... all the dirt settled to bottom

Dirty brake fluid by Mark Handley, on Flickr

Meh!! Thats not Dirty

This is Dirty

On the left First Flush

On the right THIRD Flush

and it got a 4th one!!! It took a litre to clear out all

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider5258 (Mark) View Post
    Flushing/changing the brake fluid won’t change a thing (apart from the fluid) - the flashing lights on the pre-servo system are nothing to do with fluid, any fault warnings are purely electrical or pistons in the modulator decked.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by kirby morgan View Post
    Hi - does that mean I can flush the fluid through the whole system by just bleeding at the 3 callipers?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R1150GS Adventure View Post
    Hi - does that mean I can flush the fluid through the whole system by just bleeding at the 3 callipers?
    Probably not!

But there is no way of answering your question. You haven’t told us what bike you have.

They do not have all the same brake systems.
    2003 R1150GS Twinspark
    2012 R1200GS Adventure Twincam

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ian J Hartley View Post
    Probably not!

But there is no way of answering your question. You haven’t told us what bike you have.

They do not have all the same brake systems.
    2003 twin spark servo abs

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R1150GS Adventure View Post
    2003 twin spark servo abs
    Then definitely No.

Your bike has 4 seperate brake systems.

Front and rear control circuits which are bled conventionally from their reservoir to the servo unit (under fuel tank).

Front and rear power circuits which are power bled from their reservoirs located on the servo unit to their respective caliper.

Read this.http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/service_abs3.pdf

It ‘s long winded, but will help you understand what is needed to bleed you brakes, and the technique required. If you feel this service is not for you, then find someone who can.
    2003 R1150GS Twinspark
    2012 R1200GS Adventure Twincam

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ian J Hartley View Post
    Then definitely No.

Your bike has 4 seperate brake systems.

Front and rear control circuits which are bled conventionally from their reservoir to the servo unit (under fuel tank).

Front and rear power circuits which are power bled from their reservoirs located on the servo unit to their respective caliper.

Read this.http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/service_abs3.pdf

It ‘s long winded, but will help you understand what is needed to bleed you brakes, and the technique required. If you feel this service is not for you, then find someone who can.
    I'll be fine doing that - thanks for direction to that link

Closure on this abs flashing fault, it was a slack alternator belt, spinning alternator enough to keep gen light out but slipping, readusted belt, reset abs and done 500 miles nor with no lights flashing and abs arming normally