ULEZ update

I'm actually not sure how many non beemers do though

True that.
My mate's R6 (mentioned earlier in this thread), from 2005, was above the Nox limits when he checked with Yamaha.

Sent an email last night with scan of V5 to BMW, not expecting a quick reply as their auto reply said they were experiencing high numbers of emails.

Just in case it’s helpful to someone my R1150GSA 2004 twin sparks has been approved!
From TFL:
Based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your vehicle, registration ..04..., meets the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) emissions standards. This means you will not need to pay an ULEZ charge to travel in the zone, from 8 April 2019.
Hallelujah!

Just in case it’s helpful to someone my R1150GSA 2004 twin sparks has been approved!
From TFL:
Based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your vehicle, registration..04..., meets the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) emissions standards. This means you will not need to pay an ULEZ charge to travel in the zone, from 8 April 2019.
Hallelujah!
And all free of charge by the way!

From TFL:
Based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your vehicle, registration AJ04UON, meets the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) emissions standards. This means you will not need to pay an ULEZ charge to travel in the zone, from 8 April 2019.
Hallelujah!

BMW have no emission data for my 1998 R1100GS, I was asked to contact a service center which I did and they also said they cannot help.....

Oh well, looks like it will be relocation to Scotland for me which certainly will not be a bad thing as I have a young son and luckily myself and misses have desirable skills of trade.

Happy days. I got my letter from bmw UK too and free of charge. I guess they stopped charging to riders anymore.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I just got my letter ('03 R1150GSA) confirming the 0.03 g/km NOx level. Went to the TfL site and put in the bike's registration number to check before I sent a copy of the doc in. Lo and behold, it's now exempt so I guess they have revised their data for this model accross the board...

I just got my letter ('03 R1150GSA) confirming the 0.03 g/km NOx level. Went to the TfL site and put in the bike's registration number to check before I sent a copy of the doc in. Lo and behold, it's now exempt so I guess they have revised their data for this model accross the board...
Result! That's good news. And I agree, either someone has got into the system and adjusted it to include the 1150.

Or, sometime had woken up and realised bikes aren't the problem... But that might be asking too much?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just GSA models then? Mine is still listed as eligible for the ULEZ (03 1150GS). Sent off the documents so that won't be the case for long anyway, not particularly surprised they're trying to milk as much money as possible though.

Maybe it's just GSA models then? Mine is still listed as eligible for the ULEZ (03 1150GS). Sent off the documents so that won't be the case for long anyway, not particularly surprised they're trying to milk as much money as possible though.

I don't think so, if you look at post #29 for a 2001 GS, it's the same NOx value. As others have pointed out, BMW included these numbers in the Type Approval process even when not required by the Eurocrats. This was the email I got from BMW UK:

"At the time your vehicle was produced, the emissions calculation was not required for the EC Certificate of Conformity, therefore these values are missing from this document.

However, the result of NOx emission measurement of your motorbike is available in the European Type Approval documentation and we were able to include it in a letter along with other required information which you can use to approach TfL directly for the daily charge waiver.

We can confirm that the letter was sent out today to the address detailed within the registration document and we would welcome any feedback that you can provide if this is successful or not with TfL."

Alles in ordnung, etc

Just checked... my GSA is still showing as being subject to the charge so no, they’ve not updated their database for the model as a whole.

I don't think so, if you look at post #29 for a 2001 GS, it's the same NOx value. As others have pointed out, BMW included these numbers in the Type Approval process even when not required by the Eurocrats. This was the email I got from BMW UK:

"At the time your vehicle was produced, the emissions calculation was not required for the EC Certificate of Conformity, therefore these values are missing from this document.

However, the result of NOx emission measurement of your motorbike is available in the European Type Approval documentation and we were able to include it in a letter along with other required information which you can use to approach TfL directly for the daily charge waiver.

We can confirm that the letter was sent out today to the address detailed within the registration document and we would welcome any feedback that you can provide if this is successful or not with TfL."

Alles in ordnung, etc
Yep I realise this as I've gone through the same process and had the same letter from BMW, I meant in regards to TFL declaring the entire model/year exempt, which wasn't the case with my reg when I looked yesterday.

The way I read it, if a bike is first registered before the euro 3 mandatory start date (mid 2007 I think) the charge will apply unless each individual bike owner sends in their evidence of compliance with euro 3.
In other words, TfL are charging by default, even if they well know a specific model bike is euro 3 compliant, the R1150 for example.
It even appears that new models sold for the first time in 2006 (for example the Honda CBF1000f) which were all required to be euro 3 compliant to be sold in EU markets, are not showing as compliant on the ULEZ checker.

It'd be interesting to see that challenged in court, because a rider would simply have to show that TfL's records were incorrect leading to TfL making an incorrect charge & probably TfL would likely end up paying costs & possibly compensation too.
I'd have hoped a court would put the responsibility for having correct records onto TfL, rather than on the individual rider.

Back
Top Bottom