ULEZ update

I had to cross central London by car the other night. And pay ULEZ while the protests were on, it was kinda ironic.

I did se-up auto-pay earlier, but nothing happened (I didn't see the charge coming through on my card).
Also, drove south at 8pm, came back north at half past midnight... wondering if I will get charged twice or if there is a set amount of hours you can use with each charge.

It's 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week so I suspect you will have to pay twice. Friday, Saturday or Sunday, you have until midnight on Monday (or Tuesday if Monday is a bank holiday) to pay
Monday through Thursday, you have until midnight on the following day to pay.

Got my second letter confirming that the bike meets the standards but still not on the register:nenau

It's 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week so I suspect you will have to pay twice.

I feared that.
I'll survive.

I'm abroad at the moment. Checking my autopay account and nothing shows up there.
Quite sure I'll find a couple of PCNs under my door when back at home.

Might be of interest to some with older bikes.......A guy on one of the Pan European forums took his 2001 ST1100 (i.e carburetor not injection) to Riverbank and it just scraped through. He has received confirmation of exemption from TFL. Worth the cost to him.

Got my second letter confirming that the bike meets the standards but still not on the register:nenau

Stop fecking panicking, what do you want them to do, send the mayor around to knock on your door to tell you personally that your bike is exempt.

:D

send the mayor around to knock on your door to tell you personally that your bike is exempt

And cake.
Always cake.

BTW, as stated above, I've driven by car in ULEZ and haven't been charged (autopay) or fined. Weird.

Sent my details in to BMW eccoc yesterday for my 'new' 2003 Rockster, hoping to receive news before the end of the week.
I'm quite glad I'm not sweating this yet as I haven't yet found a new job (in london or anywhere else), and I have an exempt vehicle to use if I do get lucky (a K1200R), but I'm not surprised it takes time (Still can't believe we're reliant on paper and the postal service in 2019 though).

I'm also utterly unsurprised at the ignorant (as in 'lacking in knowledge') approach to the whole thing that has been taken by TFL. I've had some professional level contact with them in the past and they are genuinely an organisation where each finger hasn't a clue what the one next to it is doing, let alone the hands. :(

also utterly unsurprised at the ignorant

I'm not surprised really.
Again, I'm happy we try to limit traffic and live in "cleaner" cities. But all of this has been orchestrated very badly by the Major.

Starting with the soppy advertising with the sick kids... and finishing with using registration year for the vehicle cut-off when... say.. there are EuroX standards car and bikes have to adhere. Why the fuck not use those. FFS.
But I guess he now has his "personal campaign".

I wish he had the balls to confront Uber as well, but not...

My R1150R (2003) was updated to Euro3 back in the day (it was sold as Euro 2 at the time, but "upgradeable" on paper to 3).
The process you are going through with your Rockster wouldn'y have been necessary if they planned this properly.

The BMW Ecco team said they could not help me and suggested I contact Germany - I did and got this back. I was going to send it and the communications to the Ecco team which has the VIN in. Is there a ULEZ email or is it a post jobby

Attachments

• 7FA8100A-5791-4B62-B69F-F384F26DB46F.jpg
    7FA8100A-5791-4B62-B69F-F384F26DB46F.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 359
Finally after 5 emails my bike is on the exemption register.

The irony is that a bike certificate qualifies the bike as it left the dealership...then bod converted, molested the cat converter, added a shorty, full through system etc and rode through London...protected from payment but less so from NOX emissions...oh how stupid this whole ULEZ crap is! ..

then bod converted, molested the cat converter, added a shorty, full through system etc and rode through London...

I'm from Rome. Down there, since the beginning of time, there's been this thing called "blue dot" that is essentially (blue) a sticker you have to put in the car windshield as a proof that your car passed exhaust tests for the city limits. Tests are actually done checking what comes out of the pipe, usually at MOT.

Same thing applies for bikes (minus having to show the sticker) and home boilers.

My old R1150R, Y-pipe, Laser chipped, Remus end can, passed every time with flying colours.
Friend's R1100S, similar set-up: same thing.

:D

That is good news and I was told the same,

I am currently just waiting for a reply myself ref the GS.. I will post up if I hear anything..

To anyone else is there a Data base that is being compiled that is showing models that have gained exemption or have been tested by Riverbank?. It could be a good idea to compile in one place?.

To anyone else is there a Data base that is being compiled that is showing models that have gained exemption or have been tested by Riverbank?. It could be a good idea to compile in one place?.

Best ask Riverside, can't see how a BMW GS owner would know what they've tested and passed.

That is good news and I was told the same,

I am currently just waiting for a reply myself ref the GS.. I will post up if I hear anything..

That's far too sensible for tfl.....

That's far too sensible for tfl.....

Oh indeed, I know enough about TFL to understand that logic and commonsense being used in a situation is as likely as a seeing a flying pig in front of a blue moon on a day not ending in Y, but I was thinking for the tech savvy biker folks it could be a nice little project..
My guess is in the coming months there is going to be a massive interest in this subject. After all if you go by the guidelines you are losing the option of owning numerous generations worth of machines.

I personally had to turn down a purchase of a K1100RS which is a bike I have wanted for ages even when it may well be under the Nox value required, someone somewhere may have this information??. Longer term I am getting out of London anyway but many people will not have that option and my guess is within 5 years ULEZ will be "coming to a city near you"..

Oh indeed, I know enough about TFL to understand that logic and commonsense being used in a situation is as likely as a seeing a flying pig in front of a blue moon on a day not ending in Y, but I was thinking for the tech savvy biker folks it could be a nice little project..
My guess is in the coming months there is going to be a massive interest in this subject. After all if you go by the guidelines you are losing the option of owning numerous generations worth of machines.

I personally had to turn down a purchase of a K1100RS which is a bike I have wanted for ages even when it may well be under the Nox value required, someone somewhere may have this information??. Longer term I am getting out of London anyway but many people will not have that option and my guess is within 5 years ULEZ will be "coming to a city near you"..

It's the sort of thing I would expect the BMW Owners Club to have started to be honest (if that august body still exists??)

Back
Top Bottom