ULEZ update

Jiffy176

Reaction score
For those interested as the other thread has now been locked. BMW sent me a letter yesterday that followed on from an email from them. My 2001 GS didn't require the NOX etc to be recorded on the CoC at the time of production. They have therefore written to me stating that the bike complies with Euro one requirements but that the NOX output is as mentioned elsewhere 0.03 so well below the ULEZ limit.
When I emailed BMW I included a copy of the V5 so they have added my VIN in the letter.
I submitted both letter and V5 scan to TfL last night and will wait and see what comes back.
I will update with the reply from TfL.

Thanks for this. Please keep us posted.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

They have therefore written to me stating that the bike complies with Euro one requirements but that the NOX output is as mentioned elsewhere 0.03 so well below the ULEZ limit.

Will this apply to other bikes as well?
A mate at work just sold his 2005 R6 as it wasn't compliant...

For those interested as the other thread has now been locked

I really don't understand why it was locked.

Will this apply to other bikes as well?
A mate at work just sold his 2005 R6 as it wasn't compliant...

Ask Yamaha... I know Honda and Suzuki are issuing letters (£30 pop has been quoted) for certain models of bike. But your mate should have contacted them, and not expect them to come knocking on his door.

Email back from TfL this morning confirming in a letter that the GS is indeed exempt and that my VRM will be added to the database. To confirm my GS is a 2001 single spark.
Good luck all.

Email back from TfL this morning confirming in a letter that the GS is indeed exempt and that my VRM will be added to the database. To confirm my GS is a 2001 single spark.
Good luck all.
Great news!

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Er, as Steptoe says it all depends on the NOX output. Any vehicle that is petrol will qualify if it is under 0.15 NOX.
If it doesn't say it on the log book then speak to the importer or manufacturer.
Cheers.

Are transport london expecting every owner of every vehicle to register? Or will one individual example from each model register on their scheme? As in, if a bike has already had a manufacturer's letter/statement to say the bike conforms, surely that should apply to all such bikes (cars, whatever) of the same model.

According to the checker, 2 of my bikes don't exist, despite having been MOTd recently and the other one is wrong make and model, despite coming from a main dealer...... why am I not filled with confidence over the ULEZ system?

But your mate should have contacted them, and not expect them to come knocking on his door.

Of course. I think he did.
I am surprised by older bikes being compliant.
I remember BMW adding the second spark plug to comply with Euro3 regulations. It would be interesting to see roughly how many bikes "before 2007" are within the limits.

Said that, in Rome, cars, motorbikes and gas boilers are subjected by exhaust tests (tested during MOT) and will receive a sticker if within certain limit, to allow them to be used.
My old R1150R with Y pipes and remus exhaust was actually within the limits. The R1100S too. :D
I'm not sure if those two were classed as motorbikes or boilers though.

ULEZ says my 2001 R1150GS doesn't meet their standards.

Looks like arses and elbows down in that London. I shall visit by Unicorn instead. :Outtomunch

The problem being is that the online tool and the TfL database looks like is has been compiled based on year of manufacture / known compliance to euro 3 for bikes, 4 for cars.
King rat to answer your first question I think TfL are expecting individual requests but I have asked them to clarify this position and once a bike / year are confirmed as complying then why does the system update for all models?

The problem being is that the online tool and the TfL database looks like is has been compiled based on year of manufacture / known compliance to euro 3 for bikes, 4 for cars.
King rat to answer your first question I think TfL are expecting individual requests but I have asked them to clarify this position and once a bike / year are confirmed as complying then why does the system update for all models?

Thak you Jiffy - I only go inside the 'Ring of Doom', maybe twice a year if I am unlucky. I don't know if Steptoe's pad is within or not - I go there but I have no idea where it is!

Thak you Jiffy - I only go inside the 'Ring of Doom', maybe twice a year if I am unlucky. I don't know if Steptoe's pad is within or not - I go there but I have no idea where it is!

No you'll be ok now and when it covers the inside of the Circular. Tbh I only use mine occasionally to go to work but at least I can use at will and am of the opinion that if the bike meets emissions then it should be permitted free. I can see some very large legal action king TfLs way if the start charging vehicles when they should be exempted just because the database is wrong. I don't see why is should be down to the motorists to prove they comply.

Just checked using their tool thingy, and it seems my 2005 GS will be subject to the ULEZ charge.

It's ok though, I can use my 4.2l v8 Jag for which the charge does not apply...

WTF. Who makes these rules up!

Hi, I wonder if someone could maybe post a copy of the email they sent to Bmw and tfl.

It might be good if we can do it in a standard format, if it works for one it should work for others.

I know some of you have done the groundwork and not trying to take the glory,

I live about 50 yards inside the south circular and will be hit in 2021 for ever vehicle apart from an old BSA, would be good if the GS is free as well.

Thanks in advance

There's no magic to it.

Dear BMW please can I have a CoC for my rxxxxgs, please find scanned copy of V5 attached.
When you get either the CoC or letter I did scan it in.

Message TfL using the query function further down the results of the ULEZ reg number check page, select ULEZ as the type of enquiry.
Dear TfL please can my motorcycle reg number blah blah blah be exempted from the ULEZ as the Nox output is below the standard, please find attached letter from BMW Homologation dept confirming this and my V5 to align the VIN number with the VRM.

That's about it.
If your bike does have a CoC then see the earlier post about how people have dealt with that.
Hope that helps.

I contacted BMW regarding my late model R1100GS with CAT and I got this response.

"Thanks for your email.

I have tried checking our systems for your levels, however due to the age of the bike, we do not have these.

Your best course of action from here, is to take your vehicle to your local center, where they will be able to carry out an emissions test, and provide you with the numbers.

I do hope this helps, and if there is anything further I can help with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Ieuan Willey

BMW Motorrad

United Kingdom

Ieuan Willey

Customer Support Executive

Summit ONE

Summit Avenue, Farnborough

Hampshire, GU14 0FB

Tel: +44 (0) 800 3256 000

Mail to: Customer.Information@bmw.co.uk

URL: http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk"

My understanding is the Nox test is to be done under lab conditions?, not something that a private individual can source??..

Can anyone enlighten me?, if the 1150 single sparks are coming in well under the limit then I guess so would the 1100?..

Back
Top Bottom