1150gs v 1200gs

lesrollins

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting another GS I used to own a 1150gs. So wondering if it's worth looking at 1200gs adventures instead. What sort of price should I be looking to pay on a 1200gs year about 2012 about 35k on the clock. I do like the large ugliness of the 1150gs so it's hard to make a decision.

No it's not - ownership is much more than riding. If it was just about riding then I'd buy a 1200 but I choose to own an 1150:thumby:

I'm thinking of getting another GS I used to own a 1150gs. So wondering if it's worth looking at 1200gs adventures instead. What sort of price should I be looking to pay on a 1200gs year about 2012 about 35k on the clock. I do like the large ugliness of the 1150gs so it's hard to make a decision.

I’m in a very similar position had a 2003 1150 for 10 years sold it due to being a bit worried about the servo brakes (which failed as a took it to sell it :mad:) and high frequency vibes that has started to come through the bars at motorway speeds , was basically not sure about keeping it long term at the time.
Ended up being bikeless for a few years then got a couple of years old NC750 early last year the thinking being I can service it myself it was not much money relatively ....
But it’s pants compared to my old GS
Seat crap after 2hours
Putting it on the centre stand :nenau probably give you a hernia
Low speed balance not a patch on the bm
And it’s got a chain :nenau

So clearly I was spoiled for 10 years but I don’t really want the servo brakes and would probably like the few kgs of weight loss of the 1200 so which would be the best one to buy , I here there are some shaft drive issues anything else I should know about?

I’m in a very similar position had a 2003 1150 for 10 years sold it due to being a bit worried about the servo brakes (which failed as a took it to sell it :mad:) and high frequency vibes that has started to come through the bars at motorway speeds , was basically not sure about keeping it long term at the time.
Ended up being bikeless for a few years then got a couple of years old NC750 early last year the thinking being I can service it myself it was not much money relatively ....
But it’s pants compared to my old GS
Seat crap after 2hours
Putting it on the centre stand :nenau probably give you a hernia
Low speed balance not a patch on the bm
And it’s got a chain :nenau

So clearly I was spoiled for 10 years but I don’t really want the servo brakes and would probably like the few kgs of weight loss of the 1200 so which would be the best one to buy , I here there are some shaft drive issues anything else I should know about?

Servo Brakes are easily removed from a 1150

I had a r1100gs with 250k on it.
I used to have a long commute so test rode a NC700X.
Jumped back on the 1100 to ride home and decided to keep it. Mainly because I thought the NC suspension was crap.
Then bought a single cam R1200RT. Put 40k on that with no problems but never really bonded with it.
Found it functional but uninspiring.
Also missed the GS suspension as the UK roads deteriorated.
I then researched the Super Tenere and was fairly convinced I wanted one.
Found a 2014 ES version in a dealer and took it out for a couple of hours.
Came back and there was a twin cam GS just been prepped for sale.
Took that out over exactly the same route and loved it.
So bought that.
Have put 7k on it since September and absolutely no regrets.
So I would test ride your short list and maybe a Super Tenere as well.
Then make your mind up.
Hope this may help. Cheers

I was about to take the piss then saw you're from Market Drayton and 'may' know each other ..... so you may want to consider the unlikable large ugliness of the 1200 over the character and beauty of a good 1150 :beerjug:

never had a bmer before, bought a gsa 1200 new in `06, never test rode any thing either but I can honestly say best thing I`ve had for overall EVERYTHING, I think of selling it sometimes, then ride it and when I get home she(the wife) looks at me and I say "what?, nowt wrong with it,must have been having a moment of madness", but as it`s been said, you all make your own mind up.:rob

First bike after passing my test

R1200GS

Came from a varadero, so height, seating position, were the same. Bars were slight wider but not like the Stelvio :eek:

70 mile ride home from buying it - no test ride

Its not the best example around, and has needed some fettling ;)

ive tried a Tiger 1200 & 800 since and they dont come close in terms of comfort or handling (toys and speed are a different matter )

best thing to say is have a test ride, but dont go in expecting Jap 2 or 4 cylinder smothness and quietness ;)

I am making the assumption that it is the Adventure model you are looking for...not clear in your post. Having owned a series of both bikes, to answer your questions.

You would be looking to pay about £6.5-7.5k for a 2012 GSA, depending on spec and condition. They are pretty bullet proof other than the rear shock which will let go at some point soon. Cost of rebuild at £150. Other week point is the final drive which can give up BUT the post 2011 models seem a little more robust. Again, a very well reconditioned one from mikeyboy of this parish can be done for about £500 I am guessing. 2012 is deffo the year to go for as for the last couple of years of production BMW dumped the unreliable fuel strip and went back to floats...so the fuel gauge actually works.

A decent 1150 will cost about £5K. Similarly shock and FD will need looking at but it’s likely this has already been done. Engines bullet proof. Screens are crap, avoid servo ABS....if “your” bike has a servo get it removed, you will lose the ABS in the process....it can fail with no warning and you lose ALL braking...as I experienced!!! Fairly simple job for an independent. Earlier bikes with non servo ABS are rare.

My view on riding is that there is no comparison....I loved my 1150GSA but I would not swap it for my 2013 twin cam for my European tours with my wife as pillion It has far more punch, better seats, screen, less vibes, better suspension and finish. On the last point neither are brilliant but no doubt about it I watched my 2 1150s dissolve before my eyes...the later 1200s are better despite the rose tinted specs.

If you get a good TC go for condition rather than miles, they do respond well to being looked after. Get and MRA xcreen to attatch to the windscreen and have a serene bubble to cruise at 80. If budget allows, get a remap for either or AF XIED units which transform the fuelling of both bikes.....the 1150 especially. It’s OK in standard but significantly improves the ride ability. If you buy a 1200 from this parish chances are it has been remapped.

Now, all that is head...on to heart. My last 2004 1150 GSA is the only bike I would take with me IF I was forced to spend the rest of my days with just one....can’t tell you why....it just is!

I am making the assumption that it is the Adventure model you are looking for...not clear in your post. Having owned a series of both bikes, to answer your questions.

You would be looking to pay about £6.5-7.5k for a 2012 GSA, depending on spec and condition. They are pretty bullet proof other than the rear shock which will let go at some point soon. Cost of rebuild at £150. Other week point is the final drive which can give up BUT the post 2011 models seem a little more robust. Again, a very well reconditioned one from mikeyboy of this parish can be done for about £500 I am guessing. 2012 is deffo the year to go for as for the last couple of years of production BMW dumped the unreliable fuel strip and went back to floats...so the fuel gauge actually works.

A decent 1150 will cost about £5K. Similarly shock and FD will need looking at but it’s likely this has already been done. Engines bullet proof. Screens are crap, avoid servo ABS....if “your” bike has a servo get it removed, you will lose the ABS in the process....it can fail with no warning and you lose ALL braking...as I experienced!!! Fairly simple job for an independent. Earlier bikes with non servo ABS are rare.

My view on riding is that there is no comparison....I loved my 1150GSA but I would not swap it for my 2013 twin cam for my European tours with my wife as pillion It has far more punch, better seats, screen, less vibes, better suspension and finish. On the last point neither are brilliant but no doubt about it I watched my 2 1150s dissolve before my eyes...the later 1200s are better despite the rose tinted specs.

If you get a good TC go for condition rather than miles, they do respond well to being looked after. Get and MRA xcreen to attatch to the windscreen and have a serene bubble to cruise at 80. If budget allows, get a remap for either or AF XIED units which transform the fuelling of both bikes.....the 1150 especially. It’s OK in standard but significantly improves the ride ability. If you buy a 1200 from this parish chances are it has been remapped.

Now, all that is head...on to heart. My last 2004 1150 GSA is the only bike I would take with me IF I was forced to spend the rest of my days with just one....can’t tell you why....it just is!

That is one statement

Well, I am tired and a bit jet lagged....I can’t explain what happened, I just let my guard down. I was ready with the pithy reply ....just go ride both....saw someone else had already done this and panicked....

.....I answered his question on price and then got carried away trying to be helpful....

OMG what have I done��

Well, I am tired and a bit jet lagged....I can’t explain what happened, I just let my guard down. I was ready with the pithy reply ....just go ride both....saw someone else had already done this and panicked....

.....I answered his question on price and then got carried away trying to be helpful....

OMG what have I done

Great reply on both counts

Don't discount a Guzzi Stelvio. For want of a better word, it's got bags more 'character' than an 1150gs and much nicer to ride. It's not as refined as the later 1200gs, but it's a lot less expensive to buy and a piece of cake to maintain. Just make sure you get a later 'rollerised' model.

If you want build quality,performance, handling and comfort, go for a Triumph Explorer.

If you're set on a GS go for a twin cam 1200.

Great reply thinks :beerjug:
I’m not that bothered about it being a Adventurer my old 1150 wasn’t and you have made me realise I will be looking at 2012 on 1200 thanks again .

In which case defo the 1200 for me....the last of the triple blacks look great and I am sure will hold their price better....great bike. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom