Centre Stand

OldSteve

Reaction score
Is it just me or do others have a problem getting this bike on to the centre stand? I have the F750GS and getting it to the vertical position seems easy enough but I just cannot get it to go that bit further to balance on the stand; I have to really lean right back to get more weight to the rear of the bike and even that takes a couple of attempts sometimes. Rolling it off the stand is almost as difficult for the same reason. It seems the bike is not well balanced on the centre stand which is very un-BMW in my experience as I have had no such problems previously with bigger and heavier BMWs such as the RT or 1200GS. I wonder if a lifting handle might help?

1: Get a wife or partner to pull the rack.
2: press down really hard with your foot on the stand tang.
3: Watch your back if you are straining.

Thanks ... but:

1: I am single
2: I cannot do more than put all my weight on it
3: Definitely.

As I say, I have never had quite so much trouble with any other bike, some have been heavy to lift but have swung over easily once moving but this seems the opposite.

I have to say, I find mine extremely easy to get it on to the centre stand - and certainly easier than other bikes I've tried. I push the stand down with my right foot and with the bars on full left lock, just pull backwards on the bar with my left hand, balancing the rear of the bike with my right hand - but basically pulling it with one hand.

Maybe yours needs adjusting somehow?

Same, easy to place on the stand which I have to say the best stand I have seen on a bike for keeping it stable - wide and three ground points not the normal two.

Managed it once, I need more practice but I too think it was far too much effort, so i'm doing something wrong or perhaps it needs looking at?

Hi Steve,

I'm glad you highlighted this centre stand issue on F850GSA as I experienced recently. I did try both GS and GSA of the F850 but found GSA too awkward to park on its centre stand. I thought it was just me being very lightweight but my burly friend also struggled with it. I tried R1200GSA's centre stand but she was beautifully easy to park. I really like F850GSA but its centre stand really disappointed me so much I might instead buy a R1200GSA or GS unless a solution could be found for F850GSA's centre stand. I thought about a lever handle once employed on BMW K100RS. BMW needs to pay attention to this issue please!

Glad it is not just me. I am only just over 60Kg so I suspect lack of weight has an impact but as I said originally I have managed bigger, heavier bikes without problem before.

I have to say, I find mine extremely easy to get it on to the centre stand - and certainly easier than other bikes I've tried. I push the stand down with my right foot and with the bars on full left lock, just pull backwards on the bar with my left hand, balancing the rear of the bike with my right hand - but basically pulling it with one hand.

Maybe yours needs adjusting somehow?

Richard, almost certainly the repeated pulling on the L grip will bollix your Heated Grip.

Richard, almost certainly the repeated pulling on the L grip will bollix your Heated Grip.

Yes, I think my description is not very clever. In real life, I am not pulling so much as just easing it back while pushing down on the leg of the centre stand. The weight on the stand is doing all the work - acting as a fulcrum, if I remember my schoolboy physics (which was a bloody long time ago).

the trick is to push down on the bit that sticks on and it goes on the centre stand the easiest of any bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Richard, how heavy are you if I may ask you? I weigh only 70kg!

Well... if you were half as big again, we’d be about the same....

Funnily enough I used my centre stand yesterday. There is barely any effort needed from the arms at all - other than balancing the bike.

Haven’t tried pulling the bars, will give it a try, but I use my left foot on the stand, and pull back on the rack, and it pops up easy, with my 750

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since writing that I pull the bars, I've been taking more notice of how I do this...

In fact, I reckon I only use my arms (left on bars, right on rear rack thing) to steady the bike, and the reality is that my foot/weight does all the work.

That's how I do it - but without enough weight (only 65kg) to get good momentum to bring the bike over-centre and on to the stand. I think it is a combination of the forward-biased balance on the stand and the shape/length of the foot tang that makes it difficult when I have lifted bikes weighing over 270kg without problem before. Never mind, I can get it onto the stand sometimes!!

Managed it once, I need more practice but I too think it was far too much effort, so i'm doing something wrong or perhaps it needs looking at?

Hi, I see you're in Aberdeen. Want to try my stand? And I can try yours? just to see if there's an issue with yours? Cheers

Problem now solved for me by changing to an R1250GS that is soooo much easier to lift on and off the stand! Of course, with no chain to worry about it is actually a bit less of an issue :)

Back
Top Bottom