Biting the Bullet

Have you considered the motoscan ap? Its really good and cheaper than the 911. It may not be as comprehensive but does have a lot of good functionality. It works really well in my opinion.

See https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.motoscan.de/&prev=search

Ian

I have - the bike has been scanned by Motoscan via an OBD adaptor and that allowed us to read the ECU when BMW said it was toast...however it just gives you the error code - not the meaning, and it won't do certain things like reset the suspension or live values. Motoscan is good and is exceptionally cheap, but I think I'll go with GS911.
On a separate issue...received a BMW survey ref my time with BMW Inverness and would I comment...was very complimentary about the staff and how they bent over backwards for me but I went full bore on BMW on the rest of it...amazingly heard nothing back...
Going to formulate my snot-o-gram to BMW Head off (cc UK Office) to express my utter utter disappointment in the build quality (specifically the paint quality) of the 2014 Panzer...as much use as a chocolate fireguard...

I have - the bike has been scanned by Motoscan via an OBD adaptor and that allowed us to read the ECU when BMW said it was toast...however it just gives you the error code - not the meaning, and it won't do certain things like reset the suspension or live values. Motoscan is good and is exceptionally cheap, but I think I'll go with GS911.
On a separate issue...received a BMW survey ref my time with BMW Inverness and would I comment...was very complimentary about the staff and how they bent over backwards for me but I went full bore on BMW on the rest of it...amazingly heard nothing back...
Going to formulate my snot-o-gram to BMW Head off (cc UK Office) to express my utter utter disappointment in the build quality (specifically the paint quality) of the 2014 Panzer...as much use as a chocolate fireguard...

Find a way to contact me...I have a MUCH better solution for diagnostics that is cheaper than a GS911

Bad earth somewhere, or caps not fully home on plugs I would say.. Id be thinking earth... Good luck with it anyway...

Please keep us updated on what you find. Hopefully it'll be a relatively easy fix.

Looks like it was an errant earthing issue. If you remove both black covers on each cylinder (exposing the injectors (?) and the ignition coils you will see a wire connected to the cylinder head (screws into the top hole of the image). This is the secondary earth - the primary being in the coil. I had a look at each when I started working on the bike this evening and each was only finger tight...when tightened the bike started with no error codes. If I wiggled any one of the wires when the bike was running the ignition died. So, cleaned up the area around each screw, refitted the secondary earth leads and hey presto...bike runs with no codes present.
Still need to take it out again just to make sure that the issue doesn't raise its head when the engine is under load but i'm too tired tonight even though its a glorious evening up here.

Oj7k2Bo.jpg
[/IMG]

worth knowing that for when these bikes get a bit older.. earths can be tricky things.. glad you've found it.. I'm sure that will be the cure :)

Great thread. Couldn't stop reading after I started. Fantastic work, fair play to you.
The colour scheme you chose was excellent in my opinion.
Ride safe and enjoy it :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom