ESA software update

Firebird1

Reaction score
I have a 17 plate K1600GT SPORT, this is the second BMW I have owned the first was a R1200RS SE sport which had the dynamic esa and riding modes.

Now from what I remember when you selected riding mode dynamic/road/rain it didn’t change suspension setting, so for instance I liked dynamic engine mode with the suspension set to road and when I bought the K1600 the set up was exactly the same until this week when it had a service where it had an esa software update. Now when I change the engine mode say to road the esa setting changes on the dash to road also, the same if I select engine mode dynamic the esa changes to dynamic, however you can change the esa setting without affecting the engine mode.

I have pointed out my findings to the dealer but they would neither confirm or deny my findings. Has anyone had experienced my findings or have I just got it wrong.

I have a 2016 K1600GT and changing either the suspension or engine modes doesn't affect the other mode. It hasn't had a software update since its last service (June 2018).

(If you can change the suspension separately, does it really matter if changing the engine mode affects it?)

I sort of agree with you however during a ride I do vary the engine mode and the more time we spend looking at our instruments the more of a risk we are taking not looking where we are going and knowing how safety conscious those Germans are this seems a backward step. I will return to the dealer and ask him to re-install the update just to make sure it installed correctly, the update can’t be un-installed apparently.

dash warning lights.

had all my warning lights come on the other day and stayed on,went back to my dealer who said it was the software,
any how it was updated and i was on my way home
all was good until i was a few miles away and just tries my cruise control,then hey presto no worky.

so back down tomorrow to bmw wasting my morning again.
any one else have this problem,the bike is a 2019 gt.

had all my warning lights come on the other day and stayed on,went back to my dealer who said it was the software,
any how it was updated and i was on my way home
all was good until i was a few miles away and just tries my cruise control,then hey presto no worky.

so back down tomorrow to bmw wasting my morning again.
any one else have this problem,the bike is a 2019 gt.

you telling me i am the only one ???

Not had this problem, but the issue with software and electronics is that there could be any number of symptoms. I'd give them another go at sorting it and if it happens again I think I;d be asking for a much more radical solution - like a replacement bike (at their expense).

Not had this problem, but the issue with software and electronics is that there could be any number of symptoms. I'd give them another go at sorting it and if it happens again I think I;d be asking for a much more radical solution - like a replacement bike (at their expense).

no probs,they have till the end of the day Monday.
thanks.

.....however during a ride I do vary the engine mode and the more time we spend looking at our instruments the more of a risk we are taking not looking where we are going and.....

Fiddle with your modes less and you’ll look at your instruments less. Job done.

Have you tried changing the suspension setting to your desired requirement ,selecting another ride mode and then going back to see if it was saved as before. It could be the "default" option until another replaces it after the update?

firebirds post

sorry to have jumped your post firebird,
have a bump on me.:bow

If you have Dynamic ESA it will put the suspension in Dynamic if you put the engine in Dynamic. If you then change the engine back to Rain or Road it will put the suspension back to Road.

If you put the engine into Dynamic it will change the suspension to Dynamic, but you can manually change the suspension back to Road, and visa versa.

It’s worked like this on my XR, GSA and two K16GTs? :nenau

Back
Top Bottom