Centre Stand Corrosion...

Centre stands on all my BMW's have ended up with gravel rash and rust , the last 2 LC models being worse than previous ones , the problem with powder coating is that as soon as you start to use the stand the coating on the feet base will be breached and rust will begin and then eventually migrate below the coating.

When the stand (cross brace) on my current LC (which has already been repainted at 2500 miles) needs redoing I'm going to remove the stand , have it blasted and then galvanised before painting it properly .................. probably blag some decent truck chassis paint
If its powdercoated properly to start with, itll never be an issue, then heli tape over the rest of the stand, and then for good measure, fit the plastic cover that bmw have fitted to the new 1250, jobs a goodun

Not the best pics., but you get the jist
487f7f158fb060b9db89d3176b59e73c.jpg
028f3a61def5e9bd05fab0ab71872a5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If its powdercoated properly to start with, itll never be an issue, then heli tape over the rest of the stand, and then for good measure, fit the plastic cover that bmw have fitted to the new 1250, jobs a goodun

Not the best pics., but you get the jist
487f7f158fb060b9db89d3176b59e73c.jpg
028f3a61def5e9bd05fab0ab71872a5a.jpg

Looks good very impressive.

Jefferies are replacing the stand on my 1250 and having it powdercoated at an extra £30 and i've ordered a lizardskin for it , and hopefully that will sort it.

Should we really have to do this, especially for a premium product ?

Should we really have to do this, especially for a premium product ?

Probably not but look where it sits and all the crap that is thrown at it. Hardly one of the greatest issues to get it powdercoated and to fit a guard.

I remember having this argument with a former member when the 1200's came out and he wanted to take his bike back "being not fit for purpose" as his centre stand was getting chipped. :rolleyes:

Sometimes, you just have to address the issue yourself and move on.

Probably not but look where it sits and all the crap that is thrown at it. Hardly one of the greatest issues to get it powdercoated and to fit a guard.

I remember having this argument with a former member when the 1200's came out and he wanted to take his bike back "being not fit for purpose" as his centre stand was getting chipped. :rolleyes:

Sometimes, you just have to address the issue yourself and move on.
My thoughts exactly

Jefferies are replacing the stand on my 1250 and having it powdercoated at an extra £30 and i've ordered a lizardskin for it , and hopefully that will sort it.
The lizard skin is a good idea, i had one of them, but being as youve already got a 1250, the bmw plastic guard is a much better way of protection, you find that yes the neoprene stops the stone chips etc., but it still holds the dirt and wetness etc., the bmw guard is easy to clean, and when the stand is in the up position its actually shaped around the stand and back wheel in such away that the stand is fully protected.

The thing I don’t get is that all the other guards I have seen (Rugged Roads, SW Motech, etc) work the other way around! They protect the cross bar from the bottom upwards.

The BMW one looks as if it is on back-to-front!:augie

Is it just me ............

The thing I don’t get is that all the other guards I have seen (Rugged Roads, SW Motech, etc) work the other way around! They protect the cross bar from the bottom upwards.

The BMW one looks as if it is on back-to-front!:augie

Is it just me ............
It is in a funny sort of way, but the bit you cant see is how its shaped at the bottom, when the stand is up, it actually curves around the tyre and down like a deflector, giving complete coverage of the crossbar area

Is that right? It still looks to me as if the side of the bar that is effectively facing downwards when the stand is up is exposed. In the past, when I have repainted or powder-coated mine there is more damage on that downward facing side and I have always assumed the bulk of the damage is coming off the front wheel rather than the back.

Is that right? It still looks to me as if the side of the bar that is effectively facing downwards when the stand is up is exposed. In the past, when I have repainted or powder-coated mine there is more damage on that downward facing side and I have always assumed the bulk of the damage is coming off the front wheel rather than the back.
Is that right?? no im making it up go and have a look at one for yourself, you are right the bit thats exposed is facing downwards at the road, but the plastic cover sits proud of it hiding it from the front wheel, so when in the up position, the crossbar is up inside the guard as opposed to sitting flush or exposed, like i said the pictures dont do it justice, the most you get now is there are two drain holes in the guard for when its in the up position, you get water run thru obviously, but thats it, my stands helitaped aswell, and after 700 mile is still perfect,

Lot of faffing around when the neoprene sleve and some Hammerite paint does the job.

And is easy to clean and lightweight.

Black electrical tape has worked for me. Amazing how many scuffs and chips you see on it!

I’m sure I read somewhere using cycle inner tube works, could be glued or tie wrapped.

Self amalgamating tape - available in black, the Screwfix stuff seems best but toolstation offer a slightly more textured version.
Instructions seem to be to anchor the end and pull to stretch till its about 2/3rds original width then wrap with 50% overlap. Good to seal hose pipe leaks so should prevent water ingress and just in case you ride over a live wire, safe to something like 30KvA as well IIRC.

Or i might just take the whole stand off as too much hassle.......

Brill, just need to make an effort on Tue when Chester Motorrad opens. Hopefully it may even help to make a difference to the crap being flung around the back of the bike.
Got one of those here no longer in use as the Rallye doesn’t have a centre stand.

Back
Top Bottom