Centre Stand Corrosion...

Phill Elston

Rum Bosun
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Last Adventure LC had massive amounts of corrosion on the centre stand within 18 months of buying it.

Obviously my dealer & BMW denied that it was a known issue (Though "oddly" they wouldn't comment on the thin-ness of any paint?) but, after a lot of insisting by me, they agreed to send the centenaries and side stands away to be powder coated. I then transferred the stands to my new 68 plate bike.

Now call me a cynic but the fact that BMW then factory fit a guard to the 1250 Adventure kinda gives the game away. But, with the frame on the 1250 being damn near identical to the 1200, I thought I'd order & fit one of the 1250 guards to my bike.

£35.10 = money well spent in my book - though it might be prudent to put a length of helicopter tape onto the exposed part of the centre stand cross-bar. I did.

Oh - Here's the BMW Part No too

Attachments

• IMG_4091.jpg
    IMG_4091.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 2,416
  • IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 2,686
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 2,511
  • IMG_4092.jpg
    IMG_4092.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 2,460
  • IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 2,417
Hi

I havent seen that cover before. Although you shouldnt have to buy things like this, it would be money well spent I think.

The photo is the stand of my 5 year old GSA, not the best advert fo quality control.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 2,347
I use an aluminium guard on mine (Rugged Roads I think is the company that makes them):

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/1108S

973310099886_ml.png

I also clean it regularly and will be plastering it in XCP Professional (the frame will get coated in this too).

As it’s the centre stand cross bar that gets pummelled, what good is the BMW OEM guard? It protects the exhaust and the bottom of the rear shock but a guard that doesn’t cover the cross bar is missing the point.

I took some advice from a member on this site. My centre stand crossbar is protected by bicycle chain frame protector. It is a neoprene cover secured by velcro although I have also secured with two cable ties.

Before fitting i hand painted the stand in smooth black hammerite.

Hammerite +1 or stone guard coating and save money/weight

:beerjug:

As it’s the centre stand cross bar that gets pummelled, what good is the BMW OEM guard? It protects the exhaust and the bottom of the rear shock but a guard that doesn’t cover the cross bar is missing the point.

I agree with this ...does the new BMW guard not fit the other way round so that the front of the stand is protected ? looking at the way Phil has it fitted its just an extra dirt diverter for the lower of the shock

is it on the right way?... you can still pepper the stand?

I like the look of that BMW part. Though I too can't help thinking it would be better fitted on the front of the stand.

That's what I'm thinking, that looks to be fitted the wrong way round.

I've got the rugged roads in black, top quality bit of kit.

From the photo the cut out looks biased to the RH side, allowing for the exhaust. Does seem strange the way round though.

That was my thoughts exactly :blast

It IS on "the right way round" as it won't go on the other way - there's a cut-out for the stand return springs etc. I've put thick helicopter tape onto the crossbar to protect

Yes, I agree the cross-bar could be better protected by the bar.

I did have a rugged roads bash plate on before I fitted the Akra TI headers, but with the headers fitted, for some reason it wouldn't clear the pipes. The neoprene chain stay protector does protect the crossbar well, but not the rest of the stand. I didn't fancy slapping hammerite onto a brand new bike and as I have mentioned, the stands have already been powder coated.

I just thought someone MIGHT be interested in the cover plate as a cheap, light method of affording SOME protection to their bikes...

It IS on "the right way round" as it won't go on the other way - there's a cut-out for the stand return springs etc. I've put thick helicopter tape onto the crossbar to protect

Yes, I agree the cross-bar could be better protected by the bar.

I did have a rugged roads bash plate on before I fitted the Akra TI headers, but with the headers fitted, for some reason it wouldn't clear the pipes. The neoprene chain stay protector does protect the crossbar well, but not the rest of the stand. I didn't fancy slapping hammerite onto a brand new bike and as I have mentioned, the stands have already been powder coated.

I just thought someone MIGHT be interested in the cover plate as a cheap, light method of affording SOME protection to their bikes...

One of these has been on my radar for a bit Phil. Is yours a standard height GSA? And what was the lead time from the dealer?

Std height. Ordered by email on the Saturday, picked up on the Tuesday. ��

Brill, just need to make an effort on Tue when Chester Motorrad opens. Hopefully it may even help to make a difference to the crap being flung around the back of the bike.

My Last Adventure LC had massive amounts of corrosion on the centre stand within 18 months of buying it.

Obviously my dealer & BMW denied that it was a known issue

It's a known issue, but it's not corrosion: it's gravel rash. I think they've swapped out a fair number of warranty (mine included) so have moved to address the issue. As for others here, I fitted a bicycle neoprene cover. As has been said elsewhere, the problem with the stand plate will be the amount of crap that it collects.

I saw this part last year on the 1250 in the showroom and ordered one for my 1200 after checking the parts fiche to check it fits.
I currently haven’t picked it up from the dealer and still have the helicopter tape on.
But I took some pictures of it on a 1250 and I reckon it gives a good bit of protection while hopefully cutting down on spray.

IMG_9707.jpg

IMG_9708.jpg

IMG_9709.jpg

IMG_9710.jpg

Back
Top Bottom