Centre Stand Corrosion...

Some fair points Spoonz but I used my aprilias, ktms and triumphs year round and none suffered overly badly. I take care of my bikes and after every single solitary winter ride, the bikes got cleaned as I've seen what salt does if they're left even just over-night. Sure, a few nuts and bolts corroded badly here and there but in 12 years of aprilia ownership I can honestly say they stood up to it better. Mind you, they were covered in more plastic and the R series bikes do have frames which are more exposed. There's no getting away from the fact that the paint finish on these GS bikes is piss poor.

My neighbour works for the council roads dept and he mentioned during the snow that many councils now use regular road salt (sodium chloride) pre treated with magnesium chloride. It’s more effective but much more corrosive. That may account for some regions seeing more corrosion cases and why it’s worse than it might have been historically. Here in the sw we have generally very mild winters and they have salted maybe 5 or 6 times that I’ve seen. When I did the Scotland trip they salted all the time we were there, the roads were literally white with it when dry.

Yes; That's true. I was given a bag of the stuff they use here and it is exceptionally corrosive...so much so that it's eaten into the subframe of one of our cars which is only 4 years old. Caught it just in time...good rinse off, dry and thick coating of XCP professional. Reminds me....must re-apply the stuff.

Ive also heard they use cheese brine, which i can believe to be honest, when the gritters are out round here, it fookin stinks🤭

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike chain protector fitted, thanks for the idea £1 from eBay
0d522416d47daa2fd5cc39697248b1ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike chain protector fitted, thanks for the idea £1 from eBay
0d522416d47daa2fd5cc39697248b1ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that's the little fella! A quid was it? Cheaper than I remember - you can't even post it for that, can you? Slap some Acf50 or similar on before fitting it just to be sure all's well underneath.

Yep, that's the little fella! A quid was it? Cheaper than I remember - you can't even post it for that, can you? Slap some Acf50 or similar on before fitting it just to be sure all's well underneath.

Does that not stay wet longer holding the salty water on the stand?

I am just in the process of waiting for my replacement parts - BMW are replacing the following under warranty on a 2017 GSA TE

Centre stand
Side stand
Rear subframe
Rear drive unit
swinging arm

He also mentioned when I went in that none of this would be a problem as they are all regular items that BMW replace under warranty

The service manager called me and asked me if I'd like to have the centre stand powder coated before they fit them! I said yes and can you do the other steel items too whilst your at it? He's having that done for me although I will have to pay of course!

I think its mad that a premium bike needs the customer to fund a more durable finish on parts replaced under warranty. He also suggested that this issue is down to the water based pains that BMW now use.

Powder-coating will not stop it happening. The stand takes so much of a battering from stones and the like your powder coat will last a bit longer but not a lot longer. It still needs extra protection.

Does that not stay wet longer holding the salty water on the stand?

It's not been my experience Bob, though I shared your concern when I first saw the idea (on here). I cleaned the centre bar, applied Acf50 to counter any dampness and fitted the neoprene sleeve: it looks the same under there a year later. Its the gravel battering that does the damage - it'd probably be hard to make it worse! :D

It's not been my experience Bob, though I shared your concern when I first saw the idea (on here). I cleaned the centre bar, applied Acf50 to counter any dampness and fitted the neoprene sleeve: it looks the same under there a year later. Its the gravel battering that does the damage - it'd probably be hard to make it worse! :D
I second this, mine was the same when i had one fitted, i used to remove mine when washing the bike and give it a rinse out, i also covered the cross bar with clear vinyl so no matter how wet the neoprene got it wasnt sat directly against metal.

I second this, mine was the same when i had one fitted, i used to remove mine when washing the bike and give it a rinse out, i also covered the cross bar with clear vinyl so no matter how wet the neoprene got it wasnt sat directly against metal.

Ahh you double bagged it ;)

I’ve ordered this item for a 2018 GSA. I spoke at length with the stealer who told me BMW have put it on the new 1250 to try to eliminate the warranty calls for damaged stands ! I didn’t get into the wouldn’t it be better to use proper paint in the first place discussion, with them.

My crossbar looks appallingly bad so I decided to clean ir up and do a better job of putting on some heli tape ........... oh hang on, the heli tape is still on and if Inpeel it off the stand is nice and clean underneath :blast

I wouldn’t use a neoprene protector because they do retain moisture. This isn’t an issue on an mtb where the paint job is better or if indeed you’ve had your stand powder coated.

Heli tape isn’t the cheapest solution but as the Dutch say, “he who tries to get the last drop of cream from the pot will get the lid on his nose”.

My crossbar looks appallingly bad so I decided to clean ir up and do a better job of putting on some heli tape ........... oh hang on, the heli tape is still on and if Inpeel it off the stand is nice and clean underneath :blast

I wouldn’t use a neoprene protector because they do retain moisture. This isn’t an issue on an mtb where the paint job is better or if indeed you’ve had your stand powder coated.

Heli tape isn’t the cheapest solution but as the Dutch say, “he who tries to get the last drop of cream from the pot will get the lid on his nose”.
Heli tape can be bought of ebay, in what ever quantity and sizes, a piece for the cross bar will probably cost you about a fiver with a bit to spare.

It doesnt have to be heli tape tho if your putting the neoprene over the top, any cheap vinyl or "laminate" would do.

This isn't about the stand rotting, it's about gravel rash on the centre bar breaching the paint back to bare metal, this exposure resulting in rust which ends up making it look ugly. There's more than one acceptable solution. There isn't so far on mine, possibly because there's a coating of Acf50 under there, but even if there was any light corrosion going on under the neoprene cover it wouldn't affect the aesthetics and make little other difference in the grand scheme. As said, other solutions are available. :)

Having just bought a used 2016 GSA from a BMW dealer, i have noticed the centre stand has some gravel rash on the cross bar with rust showing. Is it worth me mentioning this to the dealership and asking for the centre stand to be powered coated or will they just say 3 year old bike?

Thanks

Having just bought a used 2016 GSA from a BMW dealer, i have noticed the centre stand has some gravel rash on the cross bar with rust showing. Is it worth me mentioning this to the dealership and asking for the centre stand to be powered coated or will they just say 3 year old bike?

Thanks
They quite probably will... though wether they would want to lose a sale for the sake of £50 worth of powder coating...?

Centre stands on all my BMW's have ended up with gravel rash and rust , the last 2 LC models being worse than previous ones , the problem with powder coating is that as soon as you start to use the stand the coating on the feet base will be breached and rust will begin and then eventually migrate below the coating.

When the stand (cross brace) on my current LC (which has already been repainted at 2500 miles) needs redoing I'm going to remove the stand , have it blasted and then galvanised before painting it properly .................. probably blag some decent truck chassis paint

Back
Top Bottom