LED light on fairing

busy builder

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Why have some RS's got this strip light and others haven't ?

I'm looking at getting one, anything I should know or look for ?

What striplight? Do you mean the bright LED daytime running light, or are you talking about some form of downlighting.

There is a dedicated R1200RS section to help you under 'The Bikes' or alternatively a specific forum, probably a bit mid-Atlantic, if you just use Google.

Looking forward, we were all expecting the new 2019 R1250RS to be in showrooms by now but, after teasing vids, the Mothership has delayed the new model until Septemeber 2019 (at present, don't hold your breath).

Thought I was on the RS page, this light in the middle of the headlights.

Attachments

• bdbbe9bfb19e46d9b8ff44cfbe88c661.jpg
    bdbbe9bfb19e46d9b8ff44cfbe88c661.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 280
It's a DRL, compulsory in the EU now, as I understand it.

Not very imginative on the RS though - most manufacturers now realise it is an opportunity for a signature light shape/style to project their chosen 'image'.

Thanks, I'm not asking what it is, just why some have it and others don't?

and anything I should know about before buying ?

Thanks, I'm not asking what it is, just why some have it and others don't?

and anything I should know about before buying ?

It’s because the DRL is an option that can be spec’ed as part of a pack or individually if you build a “basic” bike. It’s quite rare to see one without it in the U.K. as it comes with both the Sport (model I’ve got) and Sport SE. It’s also available for the S1000XR. It’s integrated into the headlight on the 1250RS. It makes no difference as far as I can see, but I’d rather have it as it looks odd without on the few bikes I’ve seen.

Thanks all, I'm looking at an R1200RS Sport SE 2015, low miles to replace my R Nine T, which isn't doing it for me.

The only thing I’d say is that I found the ESA on the RS horrible - suspension felt hard and under-damped and I was getting bounced out of the seat on small bumps in the road. It only comes with road and dynamic suspension modes (no comfort setting like with the GS). I tried 3 different test bikes and found each one borderline unrideable. I bought one with manual suspension having had one as a loan bike, which was far better - but then again I’m quite light, so if you’re a bigger chap it may feel might better - YMMV etc. Other than a set of bar risers to take a little weight off the wrists it’s been great, and mine’s a keeper - much more my sort of bike than a GS!

The only thing I’d say is that I found the ESA on the RS horrible - suspension felt hard and under-damped and I was getting bounced out of the seat on small bumps in the road. It only comes with road and dynamic suspension modes (no comfort setting like with the GS). I tried 3 different test bikes and found each one borderline unrideable. I bought one with manual suspension having had one as a loan bike, which was far better - but then again I’m quite light, so if you’re a bigger chap it may feel might better - YMMV etc. Other than a set of bar risers to take a little weight off the wrists it’s been great, and mine’s a keeper - much more my sort of bike than a GS!

Ditto.

I also shunned the ESA option and have replaced the standard shocks with a custom Maxton set up.

I’m also lighter than the average fat-bastid Beemer rider and never carry a pillion, so standard or ESA was unlikely to be “right” for me.

I find my ESA is best left on "dynamic". Handles beautifully but a little firm. "Road" setting is too choppy.

The GS only has Road and Dynamic now, the comfort setting which was great on motorways was binned when they "updated" the GS to the Gen 2 ESA (2017?) with auto levelling suspension. I've had both and preferred the Gen 1 both because I could chose the ride height and the Comfort/Road/Dynamic settings suited me better

Back
Top Bottom