Waterproof Glove recommendations. for use with heated grips?

Good point you've raised here, it's something 99% of people just won't know but as some people have already said, heated grips and any waterproof gloves don't mix. Even Gore-Tex. The problem is I believe called osmosis (sorry if I'm wrong) and it's where the water can transfer through waterproof membranes and in essence, reform as water again on the inside of your hands, the heated grips almost force the water to come through your gloves and make your hands wet.

There is a pair of gloves which Revit have made that stop this from happening (providing you're not in the worst of worst conditions), see link below:

https://www.motocentral.co.uk/revit-gloves-fusion-gore-tex-black.html

Good point you've raised here, it's something 99% of people just won't know but as some people have already said, heated grips and any waterproof gloves don't mix. Even Gore-Tex. The problem is I believe called osmosis (sorry if I'm wrong) and it's where the water can transfer through waterproof membranes and in essence, reform as water again on the inside of your hands, the heated grips almost force the water to come through your gloves and make your hands wet.

There is a pair of gloves which Revit have made that stop this from happening (providing you're not in the worst of worst conditions), see link below:

https://www.motocentral.co.uk/revit-gloves-fusion-gore-tex-black.html

Osmosis only applies to liquids so is not the process at work here.

With heated grips, it's the reverse temperature gradient that makes water vapour pass from the outer side of the membrane to the inner side. This vapour then condenses inside the membrane which can make your hand feel damp. In normal use without heated grips on, your hand is usually warmer than the ambient temperature so water vapour from sweat passes through the membrane from inside to the outer layer. This evaporation has a cooling effect. Liquid water won't go through Goretex with or without the aid of heated grips.

As has already been said, use some sort of fabric or leather treatment to so that most water beads off the gloves but the best solution is to not get wet hands at all by using muffs.

I mean I was pretty close with the answer right? Close enough to be understood anyways :) I know an awful lot about an awful lot, just maybe not 100% accurate with the info, but close enough to be able to give you the answer you need haha.

I recall reading a couple of years ago that Gortex and heat are not good bedfellows, the heat from heated grips increases the size of the pores allowing not only vapour egress which Goretex is famous for but also allowing water ingress.

Unless there have been some technical developments since?

Was about to say same thing...

Did read in one of the papers (I think On2Wheels or something like that) that wearing Goretex gloves in the wet and heated grips on, does actually reverse the functionality of Goretex membrane, thus letting the warm air in through the membrane rather than locking it out by means of not having heated grips on.

My best option would be perhaps leather goretex gloves treated with Renapur wax/cleaner/conditioner. It will allow water to bead up and run off the surface before getting throug to the Goretex or similar type of membrane. A regular treatment will make gloves more impenetrable by water and therefor no soggy and cold hands.

Back
Top Bottom