Husaberg FX450

Bungy

Reaction score
I’ve put a deposit down on a 2010 model to be used for green laning, the TET and Salisbury plain, anyone got any experience of these and the pros and cons?

FE is Enduro

FX is a cross country model which I recall is a hybrid MX/Enduro bike for hare and hounds events. I think some have been made road legal as the FX still has the Enduro wiring loom so lights can be added.

I had the FE390. Great trail bike. Engine was very tractable. 450 is more snappy.

I need to check the paperwork as it has been advertised as an FX but could well be an FE as it has lights fitted, MOT etc.

Paperwork confirms it is an FX but has had a headlamp fitted. Rear shock has been removed and dropped off to be rebuilt today.

pros and cons?
I've a FE450.
Cons -
-hot starting can take a few tries but only noticable in really hot weather (Heatwave in Portugal)
-The exhaust routing will burn holes in your right leg unless you get a shield (cheap carbon fibre one in ebay)
-I'm fairly amateur offroad so i find the front very light and vague

Pros
-I've racked up a few long trips. 2 weeks in Romania, 3 trips to Portugal and some of the TET coming up this May
-Fuel injection is fantastic. They got this perfect.
-Light front end has it's benefits. Very easy to lift the front wheel on command.
-Most parts are readily available and 90% are common with KTM's.
-It's not orange.

Good info on http://husaberg.org/

I run an FE390 which is essentially the same bike. If you’re on Facebook join Husaberg 70 degree riders, some very knowledgable people on there

Thanks for the replies, and as you know these are high maintenance bikes. My rear shock is in for a re-build/service which turns out pretty reasonable in cost considering.

52624dbcce8608f90bd21179858e67c8.jpg

I have stripped out the swing arm bearings and lower Heim (I think that is the correct name) with replacements on order.

290170da6f4aeb1033b2b23cf266178b.jpg

It all needed a good clean after the shock spat out its oil.

Which parts of the TET are you planning on Padge? I have the Southern section running close to my home and I’m happy to guide if you fancy meeting up.

65fd8f7a5bd19e834030a8cb216d4752.jpg

g00ner, I’ve joined the Facebook group and received help/guidance already.

My first ride out and it was super wet at the weekend. Once out on the mud it was immediately apparent that it was over geared with a rear sprocket that was too small. 42 teeth fitted compared to the 44 or 46 in the manual. A little bit of light forum reading and I’ve opted for 14 front and 52 rear. Time will tell if that works better.

4fdd6788ca0253acb406d33d8ac3284c.jpg

690935768e48e443eb71155a9b7bb2fd.jpg

Came across a couple of LandRovers that had got to the end of their capability and had to reverse back down the hill. As I made my run up the hill there was lots of various broken Land Rover parts littering the trail. The least they could do was take their crap home with them.

36fcecb3bc099d4a6b3eab3b28fba890.jpg

After all the rain there was a lot of standing water, some of the holes further back were deceptively deep.

cd3e41692d9452f255c855c4f72bfa81.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed my day out and revisited some lanes that I haven't been too for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've continued with checking all of the standard maintenance items and predictably I've found a few issues along the way.

1. Rear shock was serviced and rebuilt after a failed oil seal.
2. Swing arm bearings have been replaced.
3. Front and rear wheel bearings checked and greased.
4. Changed the gearing and reverted to a 14 front, 52 rear with a new DID chain.
5. Checked both screens whilst carrying out an oil and filter change.

And this is where I encountered some problems. The oil sump plug and lower screen plug had the corners rounded off previously and coupled with being over tightened were a bitch to get off.
The sump plug came out with a 1/2" fitted but the screen plug needed a 12mm hammered on. Both are supposed to be 13mm.
Luckily theses share a lot of components with KTM and my local dealer has a good stock of spares. I collected 2 of each so in the future if there are any signs of rounding, I can swap them out before it gets too bad (these items are very soft steel).
And I think for peace of mind i'll do a clutch inspection and see what thickness there is on the fibre plates and check the steels.

I think I have checked everything to keep things ticking over for a while but valve shims will soon need a look.
15 hour service intervals make these pretty needy but I think that is mainly down to the small oil filter and low oil capacity. The oil that I dropped on this change looked and smelt pretty good but not worth leaving too long.

A full day on the TET today with amazing weather and good ground conditions. Made some good progress and the Berg is almost dialled in but may need a few more tweaks. Changing the gearing made a big difference. Front end still feels a little choppy.

370d87a6a34f816265b7df02ee74c496.jpg

There was very little standing water and spring has definitely sprung.

97fe93c6fd788850eaec10d93bca4785.jpg

I stopped to watch a paraglider for a bit and couldn’t understand what another fella was doing stood still staring across the valley. It turns out he was flying a remote glider to find the thermals, or something like that.

948d595d74beca177cb1bbbf858c0d77.jpg

Last edited:
The Wayfarers Walk

1st photo is the byway leading down to the A34 from Ashmansworth/Three Legged Cross and the 2nd photo is Combe Gibbet

You rode past my house :augie

Kettle is always on :thumb

The Wayfarers Walk

1st photo is the byway leading down to the A34 from Ashmansworth/Three Legged Cross and the 2nd photo is Combe Gibbet

You rode past my house :augie

Kettle is always on :thumb

Maybe meet up some time? Always nice to have the local knowledge and some company along the way.

I'm trail bike less at present and my GS wouldn't get up all the best local lanes :blast

Hopefully, the trail bike less situation may change in the near future ;)

Strip down for some maintenance, inspections and valve clearances.

09b88560529e7db9f4b5eafc068288e5.jpg

I had a FE570 and a FE390 - surprisingly different in character.

When you reassemble, don't over tighten the Torx bolts that hold the frame that goes around the tank. I found that the inserts would turn when you next tried to disassemble.

On starting, a Lithium Ion battery worked wonders!

I had a FE570 and a FE390 - surprisingly different in character.

When you reassemble, don't over tighten the Torx bolts that hold the frame that goes around the tank. I found that the inserts would turn when you next tried to disassemble.

On starting, a Lithium Ion battery worked wonders!

Thanks for the tip. There are a lot of fixings that can be destroyed by over enthusiastic tightening on these.

51eda882478830b0196e33cd07ebc9d3.jpg

Spent the day out on Salisbury Plain which felt like cheating with the other big bikes. Still feels a little choppy on the front suspension so I am going to soften it a little more. The ground was very hard with little standing water.

3643a2faa2c1ffb6551b0a216189be12.jpg

My new trailer was very easy to use and was bought from another member on the forum.

Back
Top Bottom