Wireless External Security Cameras

Mr Bean

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for others experience and advice please.

I'm wanting to put up a couple of wireless security cameras with a recording device and LED lights.

As the front garden is only a couple of meters deep, range isn't an issue. I was thinking one mounted on the upstairs window cill looking down and one through the lower window.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Here's a link to the house and front garden that I wish to film.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...70828ffff3ac63a!8m2!3d51.6494076!4d-0.0719709

This is interesting question, been thinking about this myself due to recent spate of breakins in area, also looking at upograde to garage security with roller shutter door and maybe some wrought iron bars over windows, plus more security on house also to keep the scrotes at bay

I had a Yale Home Camera bought for Christmas.

Cheap and cheerful and works ... pings my 'phone if motion or sound detected. Fitted to look through an upstairs window looking down on my enclosed back yard and two motorbikes.

Sat here on the campsite at Dent, 4G phone connection, I can look at my 'bikes :thumby:

Takes video on detection of motion ... it works.

:beerjug:

If you use one with IR leds to achieve vision at night, do not put it behind a window, or else all you'll see is the illuminated leds reflected in the glass during the hours of darkness.

If you use one with IR leds to achieve vision at night, do not put it behind a window, or else all you'll see is the illuminated leds reflected in the glass during the hours of darkness.

Mine does ... true you can't see anything out of the window as such, but a person can be clearly seen and photographed videoed :thumb2

If I want to actually look in my yard at night I just turn the IR off and there's enough light from the street light to check it out, but it wouldn't be enough light to identify a villain. With the IR on, through the window, there would be.

Pal of mine has a Netamo , and a Ring. Both look like passive spotlights and both send images to your phone.
The Netamo has more false alarms.

The Ring allows him to speak to an intruder/ visitor, turn the siren on or off and also turn the spot light on all from his phone.

The ring uses cloud storage and is £30 per annum for space .

The Netamo is only an SD plus the feeds it sends to your phone.

Just to revive this from the dead.....

As Black Friday is coming this week, I've been toying with the idea of adding security cameras.

Been looking at the Arlo Pro 3 and Arlo Ultra kits.

Anyone got these?

No explanation of the 3 but had problems with mine. One keeps dropping out, gave up trying fix it in the end and just use the one. It also flattened the batteries very quickly.

Wouldn't buy Arlo again.

No explanation of the 3 but had problems with mine. One keeps dropping out, gave up trying fix it in the end and just use the one. It also flattened the batteries very quickly.

Wouldn't buy Arlo again.

Which model did you have?

- Arlo
- Arlo Pro 2
- Arlo Pro 3
- Arlo Ultra

Auto-correct on the 'explanation' word - should have read experience...

Pro 2

Ok cheers.

I've read a lot of changes from Pro 2 to the new Pro 3

In the end I decided to buy TP-Link KC200 camera's

Managed to get a Black Friday deal from Curry's... RRP £69.99 each

Less 10% discount as Black Friday discount
Less Quidco tracked cashback
Less 20% VAT (as I'll put it through my company)

Plus 3 year guarantee, free delivery and 6 months free Spotify.....

So they'll end up costing around £ 50 each :thumb

Back
Top Bottom