New bike

busy builder

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just put down deposit with John Clarks Dundee for a brand new R1200RS Sport SE, in metallic black. Only downside is keyless, not sure about that.

Got good price for my R Nine T too.

Just put down deposit with John Clarks Dundee for a brand new R1200RS Sport SE, in metallic black. Only downside is keyless, not sure about that.

Got good price for my R Nine T too.

Keyless is fine, once you get used to it.

I just leave the fob in the same zipped trouser pocket and give it a confirmation pat when setting off. It saves on the “which pocket are my keys in?” panic.

Keyless is fine, once you get used to it.
Personally I don't really like it at all - think it's pretty pointless. My bike has topcase, panniers, satnav mount and seat lock, all with the same physical key, so it seems daft to have to use the physical key for all the above but not for the ignition and fuel (wouldn't be so pointless for someone without that stuff, I suppose). In fact that brings me on to the downside of keyless as far as I'm concerned - I try to remember the 'confirmatory pat' too, but I live in abject terror of setting off from home on a trip with my keys either hanging off the back of the topcase or sitting on the shelf next to where I park in the garage! (Think I'm going to buy a spare metal key so the fob doesn't have to leave my jacket pocket, but still)

I’ve all of the extras you mention but don’t access them every time I stop.

I don’t think it’s an advantage/ disadvantage in any way but don’t actually see the point.

I was going to buy a keyless GS from someone on here - when I got there to view it he mentioned that that the "Romanian" kids at the school he worked at had broken the steering lock (I subsequently found out that he'd posted on here that it had been stolen and recovered) and that it would be fixed the following week. The cost for a non-keyless repair was about £160 and keyless was £800 all in.

Congratulations on your soon to be new RS! I really like that it now has LED lights and the improvement made to the display. I'm with Freddy though keyless is a big negative to me, in fact if necessary I would pay extra to not have it. Unfortunately that's not an option and my RS has it. I don't know.... does the key continue trying to communicate when it's left in the bike? When in the garage I generally leave each bike's key in the bike. Regardless I just hope the system doesn't fail and I guess I better tape a spare battery to the fob for when it depletes.

Now that is a PITA!

Have you replaced your stolen bike yet btw?

:nenau

Yes, bought a '67 plate GS TE with 3k miles on it from Cotswold Motorrad during late November. Have put just shy of 2k on it since purchase and loving every minute.

The theft and losses associated with the last one still hurt, but life moves on...

Thanks for asking.

Yes, bought a '67 plate GS TE with 3k miles on it from Cotswold Motorrad during late November. Have put just shy of 2k on it since purchase and loving every minute.

The theft and losses associated with the last one still hurt, but life moves on...

Thanks for asking.

Excellent :beerjug:

I love the RS better sport bike than most sports bikes. The front end is amazing, the best i have tried.
I have keyless on my RT and love it due to the central locking, saves having to do the rounds checking if all the boxes are locked when I park.
The glovebox and filler is also locked by the keyless but not the satnav.
I hate it in my Mary's car. You have to hold the clutch down to start!!

I can't believe how much I like the keyless ignition. I didn't choose it, it came with the bike in SE spec, but it's turned into one of the best 'upgrades' I've had on a bike.

That's a hard-won positive attitude, a good attribute. :thumb2

There are a couple of unregistered R1200RS's about so got one of those. I'm not fussed about the very latest spec bikes, and we all know what BMW are like with new bikes and delays/recalls.

Good discount as well, nearly £2500 off list price plus the one I got has few extras thrown in, black metallic paint which I think looks the business.

There are a couple of unregistered R1200RS's about so got one of those. I'm not fussed about the very latest spec bikes, and we all know what BMW are like with new bikes and delays/recalls.

Good discount as well, nearly £2500 off list price plus the one I got has few extras thrown in, black metallic paint which I think looks the business.

It sounds very nice.
Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom