Gavia Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldwobbler

Reaction score
In 2016 I stayed in Bormio and planned to ride the Gavia pass. When we got to the bottom of the pass the road was closed with a sign saying the pass was only open to traffic for 1 hour in the morning and one hour in the evening.

Did anyone ride it last year and was there still a time restriction on it? The only info I can get on the pass currently is that its closed due to the season (obviously).

Thanks.

Rode the Gavia pass on 21st August last and there were no time or traffic restrictions at all. We rode the pass from north to south and there were plenty of bikes cars and cyclists on both sides of the pass.

Could there have been some sort of event on when you went to ride over the pass?

Gavia Pass a few years ago.

Attachments

• 4EFEBB04-73D7-42EA-BDAD-23D9445BE5CC.jpeg
    4EFEBB04-73D7-42EA-BDAD-23D9445BE5CC.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 415
  • D10CEDF9-AFA1-4B97-AC34-35B60BDD3834.jpeg
    D10CEDF9-AFA1-4B97-AC34-35B60BDD3834.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 504
Rode over it in June a few years ago and it was snowing at the top and 1c.
Didnt see any restrictions.

We did it in 2017, no restrictions, I think you just got unlucky with a cycling event or similar mate. We went North > South to, cracking road.

0c12b63e3fdcb46666b41d1f2467e13d.jpg

I went through it a couple of years back going from the west side of Como up to Bormio

No restrictions but writing painted all over the road so obviously a cycle race had been there recently

We did the Gavia many, many years back before it was tarmaced. At the time it was the last pass in the Italian Alps to be surfaced which is why we chose to go over it.

Funny thing was that we were on VFRs and a German with us on a GS punched a hole in his sump on the way down.

Thanks all, that's a great help.
We are due in Bormio June this year so wanted to make sure we got to do this pass.
I suspect the restriction was due to road works - the road was properly blocked off with a permanent structure across the road - not just a few cones. It certainly sounds like its OK now - apart from the snow!

Thanks all, that's a great help.
We are due in Bormio June this year so wanted to make sure we got to do this pass.
I suspect the restriction was due to road works - the road was properly blocked off with a permanent structure across the road - not just a few cones. It certainly sounds like its OK now - apart from the snow!

If you are heading South from there, the Passo di Crocedomini is worth a punt to, about 80ish KM south of the Garvia. https://www.motocaching.net/en/cache/viewb/id6646

If you are heading South from there, the Passo di Crocedomini is worth a punt to, about 80ish KM south of the Garvia. https://www.motocaching.net/en/cache/viewb/id6646
Thanks Fluffmeister - I have been over that one. At the halfway point we met a flat back transit van coming the other way and the road was only just wide enough for him! We had to turn round and ride back to find a passing place. One of the narrowest roads I've been on!

We rode it in July 2017 with no restrictions, one of my favourites for scenery, not to be missed for anyone heading that way for the disappointment of the Stelvio.

Did it in 2017.
Fast descent as well due to thunder storm. No fancy to be hit by lightning!

Looks like it’ll be open as usual.

Rather than just get more “I rode it in 2018 * and it was great” the thread can be closed. If the OP finds it’s shut on the day he arrives, he’ll just have to find out why and maybe wait for another day or year.

* or even 1918

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom