Transfering files / routes from an iPad to a GPS device

Flying GS

Duuuuude
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've a card reader for the ipad but it's just that, a reader - will not send files from ipad to card as far as I see. Don't think my Zumo will accept anything wirelessly but bluetooth clearly has potential (with a bit of firmware buggaration - waay beyond my ability tho'

A neat solution to that problem, is to use a RavPower FileHub Plus, Wireless Travel Router

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TI3WQJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6gaGCbSTA8MZ8

Here’s how:

The travel router connects wirelessly (via its built in WiFi) to your iPad

You connect your Garmin Nav 6 (or Zumo, I assume it works as well) to the FileHub via the USB cable

The Garmin SD card mounts in the FileHub

You can transfer files from Scenic (Great app, that’s what I use) through the FileHub app onto your Garmin card, ready for import.

Very portable, great when touring and you only want to carry an iPad (or similar tablet) or even a phone.

ade5c89608ea5385a99f62bd734d008b.jpg

I cut this useful post from another thread, where the possible solution to a common problem might get lost.

As above, the method should work using a phone running Scenic (or a similarly suitable app) just as well as using an iPad, though the iPad’s larger screen might make things easier. Similarly, I guess it should work with other Garmin and non-Garmin devices that use an SD card. Give it a go, you can’t break it.

Richard

PS I edited the post a little.

Very useful - The product description says it can only access Photos file on IOS

I think the Garmin mounts like a camera. When you connect a camera to a computer (or FileHub in this case), the SD card mounts, the camera merely acts as a card reader.

The product description says it can only access Photos file on IOS

I think that’s in reference only to the RavPower router being unable to stream / copy iTunes films, due to their DRM software / copywrite protection. It’s possible to strip the DRM protection off, so I guess it might then work.

For what it’s worth - and to back up the OP’s thoughts - the Scenic app (whether used in conjunction with the similarly excellent Kurviger app or not) is pretty good, working really well with an iPad / iPad Pro.

It’s a useful app, even if it is only used to give bods an idea of how to go from A to B (or A to E via B, C and D) and then use the suggested route copied onto a paper map or written out onto a piece of paper.

I’d suggest downloading and installing the maps if you think you might not have a good Wi-fi signal or use your phone as a hotspot.

With the zumo 346/396 being WiFi enabled for updates could you transfer routes directly to your gpsunit

A neat solution to that problem, is to use a RavPower FileHub Plus, Wireless Travel Router

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TI3WQJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6gaGCbSTA8MZ8

Here’s how:

The travel router connects wirelessly (via its built in WiFi) to your iPad

You connect your Garmin Nav 6 (or Zumo, I assume it works as well) to the FileHub via the USB cable

The Garmin SD card mounts in the FileHub

You can transfer files from Scenic (Great app, that’s what I use) through the FileHub app onto your Garmin card, ready for import.

Very portable, great when touring and you only want to carry an iPad (or similar tablet) or even a phone.

ade5c89608ea5385a99f62bd734d008b.jpg

Very useful info. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom