Rider Modes And Implications For Testing Criteria?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Past IBT client went for his Category A test recently on his own Varadero 1000. Tester refused to test him as Log Book didn't state kw output.

In some twisted logic, the reasoning was that despite the candidate going for test in Category A (50kw+) on a bike known to output 69-odd kw unrestricted (in other words he's not claiming his bike to be restricted) he couldn't prove to the tester that the bike had not been restricted.

Don't lots of modern bikes have rider modes that can reduce or increase the kw output? What do the log books for these bikes state as the kw output? Does this ability to change the kw output have any bearing in the UK on the suitability of bikes for tests?

TIA. :thumb2

My (UK) log books show "Max. net power (kW)". Irish logs books may be different but, if not, any power differential between modes would not be relevant or displayed in the log book.

I guess each bike is different, but my understanding was that the various modes are more about modifying the throttle response, ABS and traction control than about varying the power output.

Do you have to produce the vehicle log book in Ireland for the test then? I always advise my students to always use the school bike for test as there is no point in taking chances that the bike may be refused - after all why take a chance on your test.

Indeed,

I used the shed that the MC instructors provided.

It had the benefit of demonstrating how fecking awfull a 600 Bandit is when left to be a daily hack

only rode the fecker twice and that was enough.

To be fair it was an easy bike to ride and made the cones and figure of 8 a piece of piss lol

When I took my “part 1” test they spaced the cones out further if you were on a scooter, in my case a Vespa 100

Apparently the story was that when they devised the test, the ministry guy had never ridden a scooter, so they just kept moving the cones out until he could do the figure 8

As many of you know, in reality a scooter will turn tighter than a bike when you’re used to it :thumb

Past IBT client went for his Category A test recently on his own Varadero 1000. Tester refused to test him as Log Book didn't state kw output.

In some twisted logic, the reasoning was that despite the candidate going for test in Category A (50kw+) on a bike known to output 69-odd kw unrestricted (in other words he's not claiming his bike to be restricted) he couldn't prove to the tester that the bike had not been restricted.

Don't lots of modern bikes have rider modes that can reduce or increase the kw output? What do the log books for these bikes state as the kw output? Does this ability to change the kw output have any bearing in the UK on the suitability of bikes for tests?

TIA. :thumb2

If the tax book said 69 kw. That would still not prove that the bike wasn’t restricted later. Seems like a jobsworth. I know from experience that a tester can allow a test in a certain vechicle and the next day it can be refused by another tester and then allowd by another tester despite the said vechicle having been passed and approved by the RSA. the vechicle is a purpose built yolk. Testers seem to have a lot of discression. JJH

Some of the "older 125's" don't exist according to dvsa, think rg125, rd125lc and the like and cannot be used for test.

I recall having to reset cones for an rg125 as it was unable to do pt1 figure of 8; pupil kept saying the couldn't do it, bollocks says I, tried and was proved totally wrong. They did it on course cg no problem.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Our school bikes:

2 x 2016 GSX650F (A)
1 x 2013 GSX650F (A)
1 x 2017 Z650 (A)
1 x 2008 ER-6 (A)
1 x 2019 Versys 650 (A2)
1 x 2019 Z650 (A2)
1 x 1998 ER-5 (A2)
1 x 2004 SilverWing 600 (A2)
1 x 2015 GN125 (A1)
1 x 2004 GN125 (A1)
1 x 2013 WK GO 50 (AM)

The two 2019 A2 bikes are replacing two 2011 G650GSs.

All bikes have kw stated on log book. The ER-5 is weathered but mechanically sound.

But I often get lads who want to do test on their own bike, specially if it's their daily commute ride - they're used to it, and they avoid the cost of hiring a bike for test.

JJH makes a good point - even if candidate presents with an A bike and his log book states A kw, how does tester know that the bike hasn't been restricted?

That renders null the no-test argument in the case of no kw on log book, no?

And that's essentially what's happened with my Varadero 1000 guy, albeit without the kw being included on his log book. The Varadero 1000 is listed in RSA's own web site as "A, A2 if restricted".

Our school bikes:

2 x 2016 GSX650F (A)
1 x 2013 GSX650F (A)
1 x 2017 Z650 (A)
1 x 2008 ER-6 (A)
1 x 2019 Versys 650 (A2)
1 x 2019 Z650 (A2)
1 x 1998 ER-5 (A2)
1 x 2004 SilverWing 600 (A2)
1 x 2015 GN125 (A1)
1 x 2004 GN125 (A1)
1 x 2013 WK GO 50 (AM)

The two 2019 A2 bikes are replacing two 2011 G650GSs.

All bikes have kw stated on log book. The ER-5 is weathered but mechanically sound.

But I often get lads who want to do test on their own bike, specially if it's their daily commute ride - they're used to it, and they avoid the cost of hiring a bike for test.

JJH makes a good point - even if candidate presents with an A bike and his log book states A kw, how does tester know that the bike hasn't been restricted?

That renders null the no-test argument in the case of no kw on log book, no?

And that's essentially what's happened with my Varadero 1000 guy, albeit without the kw being included on his log book. The Varadero 1000 is listed in RSA's own web site as "A, A2 if restricted".
There is an examiner close to me, who refuses to test, if pupil isn't wearing motorcycle boots.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom