The Great Escape (and added attractions)

Thanks NRG.

Plan now is to continue to Germany and the sites of the bike chase and various other bits you'll recognise from the movie.

Tonight will be in Wrocklaw which I've heard good things about. I'm anticipating something like Prague.

I've booked into a hostel for about 10 quid a night.

The write ups are ok and its bike orientated, we shall see.

The roads on route are great. Quiet and well surfaced in the main.

An interesting river crossing and a Berlin wall memorial crop up on way.

General plan. I'm feeling ok so I recon Czech Republic tomorrow then Germany all being well..........

Cant remember where this was.........

But it was a shit hole
5f3f0d99a6ed927c187bcae122e82152.jpg
74e33dbd58e06239d0cf7fe48ac65e58.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I got diverted by polish police.

My polish is zero and his English was also minimal.

After gesturing that there had been a crash (thumps own hand), and giving me directions, (just points left and has a look of "good luck basterd ingleze"), I head off without clue or being arsed to look at GPS.

One if the things I love about these trips are the impromptu diversions, finding a road by accident, sticking the gps on shortest route and blundering down minor roads.

This was the case here, on the gps it showed a ferry sign about 15 miles ahead. I hope it's running.........

214d68354329f8f821d8edaf870297af.jpg
84ef15605c0bdcd3c9904a6a97835cf3.jpg

I have no Zloty because I'm a clown and the ferry captain speaks no English.

I lob him a Bel Vita breakfast bar and a 2 euro coin and the deal is done.

Hostel here we come.....

Make it to Wrocklaw and settle into the digs.

Its basic but its clean, warm and the beds have wrap round curtains so you get a degree of privacy.

Discreet bike parking round the back, so all in all it's a success.

The lady owner recommends Shit , Shower, Shave, Bus to town.

Someone complained later about my shitting in the shower. Clearly they were given different instructions.

Bus stop nearby so off to the bright lights of Wrocklaw....
06e9582ac774cb260e53a7f49537e637.jpg

So I bimble to bus stop and discover that its a cash only machine prior to boarding. The ferry lesson hasnt been learnt yet.........

Dynamic Risk Assessment carried out, and it suggests that if I play the "Terry Fuckwit Tourist" card I should be OK should I get challenged......

Get on bus going in vaguely correct direction.

Duty soviet bloc like, shot putter esque ticket lady comes ominously along the aisle like Mongo riding into town.

Sadly Mongo not like candy or Bel Vita bars so I'm un ceremoniously booted off :(

Happily a 10 min stroll has me in Wrocklaw centre and indeed its lovely.

The Wrocklaw 10k run is on tomorrow so there are loads of quality sights to see in lycra. Those guys must put some miles in.

Bit of food, bit of reading up about Hitlers Lair and the Von Stauffenberg plot and then chill in outdoor coffee bar taking in the atmosphere.

Lovely place, recommended.

Remember folks, with lycra comes great responsibility.....

Plan tomorrow is to head through Czech Republic on route to Berchesgarten area, see how far I get....

So up and at it by 0800 to avoid the road race in Wrocklaw.

The hostel was fab, breakfast too for I think 12 quid or so. Definately a good move if you dont mind that sort of thing.

There are numerous road closures being set up so I dodge and weave a few barriers on empty roads and stumble out on the compass heading SW.

Stop for coffee in village and put it a random town name in SW Czech Republic. Nav 6 set to windy roads mode, I disengage mental nav mode and just follow it all day.

The route weaves to the S of Prague and N of Brno. Great roads and lunch stop in the Bohemian Forest town of Humpolec.

Another pretty place.

The Teutonic Knights founded the town at the beginning of the 13th century. The first mention is from 1233. One hundred years later it was already mentioned as a town. At the turn of the 15th century Humpolec became a centre of the large domain around the Orlík castle. During the 13th - 15th centuries gold and silver were mined here and the drapery developed from the 15th century. In 1807 Humpolec was promoted to the free town.

The steep square of the town is divided into two parts with the block of houses and with the St. Nicholas' Church. Both of the parts were reconstructed under the design of Josef Gočár between 1939 - 1941.

The town hall from 1912, which is in the Art Nouveau style, and the museum of Aleš Hrdlička can be seen in the upper square. The former town hall from 1873 and the gallery of Gustav Mahler are situated in the lower part.

Thankfully as well as all the cultural stuff noted in previous post I'm happy to report that it's also teeming with fit women.

A lot were after some GSAC but I'm on a mission so sorry ladies.......
56fd28b44e2a0d69ca96f7d8fffc6bec.jpg

Post lunch and I'm a bit fatigued so pull over and start looking for somewhere to book up for the night.

Hotels.com pull it out of the bag and find me a huge room in a lodge near a lake in the fantastically named Horni Plana.

I cant remember but it was certainly less that 20 quid B and B.

The route there is fantastic and I'm might impressed with the accommodation. Its out of season so v quiet. My room is enormous and the setting is right next to the lake.

They are not doing food so I cook up some rice on my mini stove outside, grab a rare beer and chill out.

Its a great setting and just what I need as Im fucked and need an early night.

Back
Top Bottom