Vastly underrated motorcycle

Martyn H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In my opinion, & I say this as a big fan of the RT's over the years, but the RS's are under so many buyers radar.
You know the sort. "It has to be a GS, even if I can't reach the floor"..........
Anyway, my former colleagues like 'em.............

Attachments

• New SEG 01.jpg
    New SEG 01.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,067
  • New SEG 02.jpg
    New SEG 02.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,121
  • New SEG 03.jpg
    New SEG 03.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,146
When I first rode one last year, it reminded me of my old Boxer Cup 1100, but way way better.

I like the look of them, but the riding position isn’t for me. When the 1250 actually makes it into production, I’d like to try one with the R bars.

I like the look of them, but the riding position isn’t for me. When the 1250 actually makes it into production, I’d like to try one with the R bars.

My local dealer has a mint 1200 in, with that very mod. I am more than a little tempted.

I have Wunderlich bar riser and MV Motorrad peg lowering kits fitted to my RS. Makes a huge difference to comfort, as I found when Cotswold loaned me a standard RS when I had a service last September. It's not as exhilarating to ride as the XR but over a long distance the modified RS is more comfortable, has no chain to maintain and is a lot prettier.

agree happy that it is under peoples radar. I am 6ft 2 and with bar risers comfortable for me

Attachments

• fzcNN1jmTyCUbpWx3i1Q0Q.jpg
    fzcNN1jmTyCUbpWx3i1Q0Q.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 986

I’m surprised with your back.
I find bikes with such clip ons (my H2 SX SE included) are more comfortable on the back as you don’t get that lower back ache you get on an adventure bike,because you aren’t sitting so upright and some of the weight is taken off by the wrists,but not too much like a full-on sports bike .

Admittedly having a low screen on an adventure bike helps as some of the clear air/wind blast supports your lower back rather than have you sit in a bubble of still air.

Have you tried such bikes or are you assuming they are uncomfortable ? You need to actually ride them rather than just sit on them as they work much better at sensible speeds when the airflow adds to the comfort.

A couple of short rides this week to shake off the winter cobwebs reminded me how comfortable this bike is.

My mods include higher Sport seat, slightly lower pegs and a DIY cut down OEM screen on top of custom non-ESA suspension.

At M-way speeds the wind holds my body weight, so no weight on my ailing wrists, but not as upright as a GS where your arse/spine takes most of the weight.

All day comfy I say.

I’m surprised with your back.
I find bikes with such clip ons (my H2 SX SE included) are more comfortable on the back as you don’t get that lower back ache you get on an adventure bike,because you aren’t sitting so upright and some of the weight is taken off by the wrists,but not too much like a full-on sports bike .

Admittedly having a low screen on an adventure bike helps as some of the clear air/wind blast supports your lower back rather than have you sit in a bubble of still air.

Have you tried such bikes or are you assuming they are uncomfortable ? You need to actually ride them rather than just sit on them as they work much better at sensible speeds when the airflow adds to the comfort.

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Yes, I had one for half a day when my GS was being serviced. Did over 150 miles on it, much to the dismay of the dealer, and then had more back pain afterwards than I had before.

I have ridden more bikes than you think I have, and my current bike is the most comfortable on my back. If there was something more comfortable, that ticks all my boxes, I’d have bought it.

Saw two SEG riders on them in The Strand this afternoon. Look a lot more comfortable than the VFR1200s - not as cool though...

I don’t think the SEG rider who was filmed giving it the beans pulling away and got flipped off his bike on the Embankment looked that cool...

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Yes, I had one for half a day when my GS was being serviced. Did over 150 miles on it, much to the dismay of the dealer, and then had more back pain afterwards than I had before.

I have ridden more bikes than you think I have, and my current bike is the most comfortable on my back. If there was something more comfortable, that ticks all my boxes, I’d have bought it.

No need to get so defensive-was just saying that I find such bikes quite often better for my back.Obviously you don’t.

A lovely example of the faster/lighter and far more sexier Lupin version.

Bravo

you are so right and if I get the 1250 I hope the imperial blue can compete with the lupin blue but not hopeful as great colour scheme. May have to repaint it lupin blue to match my helmet!!!

Graham

Tried it while the RT was being serviced. Ended up in Galloway. I'd actually forgotten what a great bike it is ... hmmmmm!

r1200rs

For the life of me I don't understand. The bike should sell better. With a few mods ( bar raises / lower pegs) its one of the best

Back
Top Bottom