Obvious and simple £12 headlight upgrade

markkfletcher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know this is really obvious, but I've been riding my 1150 for years with its sketchy headlights and never thought to do this. I've just upgraded the OEM bulbs in the dipped and high beam to Xenon ones, for the princely sum of £12 for the pair. And they do exactly what they say on the tin - they are twice as bright. Not fixed the problem completely, but a definite improvement and a 5 minute no tools job.

Osram nightbreakers are well known for there light output.

I think the last set i bought were £15

I know this is really obvious, but I've been riding my 1150 for years with its sketchy headlights and never thought to do this. I've just upgraded the OEM bulbs in the dipped and high beam to Xenon ones, for the princely sum of £12 for the pair. And they do exactly what they say on the tin - they are twice as bright. Not fixed the problem completely, but a definite improvement and a 5 minute no tools job.
Can you please give more instructions for the work you carried out. Which xenons you picked and Some photos would be great if possible also.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I believe Xenon lamps in headlights not designed for them is now an MOT failure. Its due to non projector lights causing "scatter" affecting other road users.

Depends on if he's talking Xenon type halogen bulbs which is ok, or HID bulbs which is a no-no but are often referred to as 'Xenons.'

The bulbs are Ring Xenon Gas Ultima H1 sold by motorworks, and cheaper on amazon here
Very simple job to change bulbs over. Youtube video if you need help here.

Right, so they are xenon coloured halogen bulbs. Not HID, so not a problem.
I asked for the link as there are lots of h1 bulbs around, don't think it was unreasonable to ask for the one that was being talked about.

Thanks for taking the time to post and comment on questions too. When you say it hasn't fixed the problem completely, what's still the problem?

I also wondered, the link you gave later on to amazon. Is one a dipped beam bulb and the second main beam?

Thanks for taking the time to post and comment on questions too. When you say it hasn't fixed the problem completely, what's still the problem? I also wondered, the link you gave later on to amazon. Is one a dipped beam bulb and the second main beam?

Both dipped and high beam use the same H1 Bulb - they just have different lens configurations to direct the light. And it does make a big difference, but I'd still like more light when riding country roads in the dark - which I think is why people spend big money on spotlights.

Is this bulb better then osram and Philips? All Similar priced.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Both dipped and high beam use the same H1 Bulb - they just have different lens configurations to direct the light. And it does make a big difference, but I'd still like more light when riding country roads in the dark - which I think is why people spend big money on spotlights.

Thank you for that. Yes, I can see that. My original lights are okay but certainly not fantastic by todays' standard.

£12 for a PAIR, is a steal. Keep the ones you replace in the tool kit as spares for emergency use.

Changed my bulbs yesterday and a big difference for my 2002 GSA. Thanks Mark for the thread and comments. The video certainly helped too and very easy to do!

Back
Top Bottom