Drift Ghost X

Thanks Casbar - that's a pretty good recommendation. The X seems a but like marmite - some folks love it and some hate it, weird how the 2 camps are so much at either end of the spectrum. Just seen Baron von grumbles vlog (for hero 7) and he despises the drift offerings when he mentions it in the review - poor bike mount and corrupted files. Might look at innov c5 but I get the idea that other road users behave themselves more as soon as they see a camera on your lid - which if course they won't see if it's very small and mounted to the bike.

Thanks Casbar - that's a pretty good recommendation. The X seems a but like marmite - some folks love it and some hate it, weird how the 2 camps are so much at either end of the spectrum. Just seen Baron von grumbles vlog (for hero 7) and he despises the drift offerings when he mentions it in the review - poor bike mount and corrupted files. Might look at innov c5 but I get the idea that other road users behave themselves more as soon as they see a camera on your lid - which if course they won't see if it's very small and mounted to the bike.

All I can say is I have no issues with mine at all. You need to get a pukka sd card and not a knock off one as most issues with corrupted files seem to be around the SD card. I have no issues with the helmet mounts, have one on each of my helmets. I have my camera set to 10min segments and overwrite when the card is full. i am not using it for vlog just safety. I have a mount in my car as well, so swap it into the car if going on a trip. The support from Drift is pretty good, the issue I had with the battery was resolved with a new one, although there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the one I sent back.

There are so many of these cameras on the market, it's not easy to make a choice !
I want a front facing camera, powered from the bike ignition live (can't be messing about with batteries) that will mount on a flat horizontal bracket on the front of my GS - actually this is an aux light mounting bracket. Needs to be waterproof.
Budget - say £120 max ?

What would you guys recommend ?
Thanks

I’ve just ordered a Ghost XL, claims 9 hours battery life and will record on a loop.

Good luck with that, I have the Ghost X with the long life battery, which is the same as the XL. I reckon 7 hours is about it. I sent my battery back and got a new one, but they said it was ok. The other thing to note is, you need to charge the battery on the camera, as there is an internal battery as well as the one stuck on the side, so you need both charged to get max recording time. But apart from that, have had no issues with the X since I've had it. Also make sure you buy a decent SD card, most who have issues with corruption and formatting cards is down to knock off cards.

Good luck with that, I have the Ghost X with the long life battery, which is the same as the XL. I reckon 7 hours is about it. I sent my battery back and got a new one, but they said it was ok. The other thing to note is, you need to charge the battery on the camera, as there is an internal battery as well as the one stuck on the side, so you need both charged to get max recording time. But apart from that, have had no issues with the X since I've had it. Also make sure you buy a decent SD card, most who have issues with corruption and formatting cards is down to knock off cards.

I’ve ordered a Sandisk Extreme 64gb.

As I’ve already got a remote control for it, I reckon 7 hours battery life will do but I’ve also got a Sena power bank that I hope will be ok as backup

I’ve ordered a Sandisk Extreme 64gb.

As I’ve already got a remote control for it, I reckon 7 hours battery life will do but I’ve also got a Sena power bank that I hope will be ok as backup

I think they are a good bit of kit, really happy with mine, I only use it for safety, don't put videos online or anything. Hope you bought from moto central and got your 10% discount :)

Anyone had any problems pairing remote controls?

Drift XL and BT remote control, initially paired but no longer. Go into settings and switch on BT (Bluetooth) which then gives the next option of BT Pairing, when this is selected the camera prompts you to press a button on the remote control. All to no avail, changed remote’s battery and even tried pairing another remote, still no joy.

Any ideas?

All good so far

Replacement camera arrived today, all tickety boo.
Had my XL for around 10 days now. Transfer it between cycling helmet and motorbike helmet. All working well so far. Excellent battery life - first charge lasted around 8 hrs and still had some juice left. Forget the app for viewing - on android at least it is too slow and stuttering. I put the sd card in the PC and view that way. Not encountered rain yet so cannot vouch for its waterproof properties. Recommend it and Drift were nice folks to deal with.

Have just used mine, almost continuously, for a 3 day trip around the Highlands.

Set it to video on continuous loop while tagging (using the BT remote) the parts I wanted to keep. Switched to photo’s when desired and I’m pleased with the results.

Battery life, remote control and ease of use make this camera ideal for me.

I just got my Drift camera out ready for the next ride and the case has gone sticky and deteriorated, disappointed. I’m sure it will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom