Drift Ghost X

Big Nick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mine is a piece of crap!!

I bought this on the strength of reviews on the Web but mine has been crap from the outset!

First ride it worked ok

Second ride it froze and wouldn’t do anything even turn off!

Third ride it switched itself off after 10 minutes despite being fully charged

Sent it back for a replacement, except I didn’t get a replacement, I got the same unit allegedly ‘repaired’ back

Went out today with it and it worked fine for the journey there but on the way back it corrupted every file with each one showing just a picture of my fingers with a pink blob on the bottom of the frame.

I’ve emailed the supplier with the not fit for purpose line and will await their reply.

It’s actually a good concept I just need one that works properly!!

I searched for the Ghost S after having a Ghost HD purely to get the 60fps.

The Ghost S is a much better layout with battery access to change, mic plug in (waterproof) etc. Wouldn’t get a X purely for these points alone let alone all the negative reviews.

Dump it and get a S if you can still find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ghost X works flawlessly. But I had a problem with the long life battery. Support has been pretty good, although I think there only seems to be one bloke who does anything. Get on their facebook page, the customer service respond very well once ousted on there :)

I had a ghost X that completely failed on software upgrade. Drift support (which is good), authorised a replacement and the supplier gave me a deal on a new Ghost 4K. This has glitches, but I have learned its foibles and we get on well now. Although it did freeze when I was showing a mate my stupid fall on my push bike (needed a reset - again!). Anyway, they are very sensitive to power needs and come with an installed 1500mah battery and clip on 500 mah additional. You can buy a long life additional 1500mah clip on. My advice is to charge the unit without the clip on battery because - if the clip on is duff (even slightly), it stops the internal battery from charging and the unit will turn off. Buy the additional 1500mah from Drift (£25) that comes with an external charger and charge the clip on batteries separately. This works and can give very long battery life even for the 4k (which has Bluetooth running continuously talking to its remote controller and is why the 4k eats power more than the X)

Hope this helps.

I had a ghost X that completely failed on software upgrade. Drift support (which is good), authorised a replacement and the supplier gave me a deal on a new Ghost 4K. This has glitches, but I have learned its foibles and we get on well now. Although it did freeze when I was showing a mate my stupid fall on my push bike (needed a reset - again!). Anyway, they are very sensitive to power needs and come with an installed 1500mah battery and clip on 500 mah additional. You can buy a long life additional 1500mah clip on. My advice is to charge the unit without the clip on battery because - if the clip on is duff (even slightly), it stops the internal battery from charging and the unit will turn off. Buy the additional 1500mah from Drift (£25) that comes with an external charger and charge the clip on batteries separately. This works and can give very long battery life even for the 4k (which has Bluetooth running continuously talking to its remote controller and is why the 4k eats power more than the X)

Hope this helps.

That has confused me slightly, so does the 4k have an internal battery as well as the one that is on the side of the unit? The Ghost just has the battery that fits the side, it comes with the 5hr one and I have also bought the long life one, which is the one that is not fully charging. So both batteries are clip on to the unit, with no internal :)

That has confused me slightly, so does the 4k have an internal battery as well as the one that is on the side of the unit? The Ghost just has the battery that fits the side, it comes with the 5hr one and I have also bought the long life one, which is the one that is not fully charging. So both batteries are clip on to the unit, with no internal :)

Bob, The X has a 1500mah internal and the standard clip on is a 500mah one. From the Drift spec: Battery Design

Internal 1500mAh, External 500/1500mAh (total 2000mAh - 3000mAh)

Have a look on the Website. The X will start up without the clipon installed - try it.

BTW - The mate I was showing the Cycle mishap was Al Day :)

Cheers ... Steve

Bob, The X has a 1500mah internal and the standard clip on is a 500mah one. From the Drift spec: Battery Design

Internal 1500mAh, External 500/1500mAh (total 2000mAh - 3000mAh)

Have a look on the Website. The X will start up without the clipon installed - try it.

BTW - The mate I was showing the Cycle mishap was Al Day :)

Cheers ... Steve

Lol, just tried it and your correct, I should really read the specs :) As I'm dealing with Drift at the moment with my potentially faulty large battery.

Mine is a piece of crap!!

I bought this on the strength of reviews on the Web but mine has been crap from the outset!

First ride it worked ok

Second ride it froze and wouldn’t do anything even turn off!

Third ride it switched itself off after 10 minutes despite being fully charged

Sent it back for a replacement, except I didn’t get a replacement, I got the same unit allegedly ‘repaired’ back

Went out today with it and it worked fine for the journey there but on the way back it corrupted every file with each one showing just a picture of my fingers with a pink blob on the bottom of the frame.

I’ve emailed the supplier with the not fit for purpose line and will await their reply.

It’s actually a good concept I just need one that works properly!!

As I'm dealing with Drift at the moment with my potentially duff battery I showed them this thread. The support guys said you should raise a ticket on their web page and they will contact you. They don't repair anything, so they wouldn't have sent back a repaired item. They asked if you were dealing with a reseller? Their support has been pretty good so far

As I'm dealing with Drift at the moment with my potentially duff battery I showed them this thread. The support guys said you should raise a ticket on their web page and they will contact you. They don't repair anything, so they wouldn't have sent back a repaired item. They asked if you were dealing with a reseller? Their support has been pretty good so far

If you are asking why the LED lamps on the big clip-on don't go off, they don't! Fully charged shows four LEDs (not off as the instructions say). If you are charging the unit - do you get the charge screen when the X is switched off but on charge? If not, try a software update.

Software wise, they are not as well developed as the GoPro, but as a physical item to use including the very well designed mounting hardware and rotating lens, they are great. I was watching one of the Police Interceptor type TV shows last night and the Bobbies had the Ghost attached to their shoulders using the shoulder straps.

If you are asking why the LED lamps on the big clip-on don't go off, they don't! Fully charged shows four LEDs (not off as the instructions say). If you are charging the unit - do you get the charge screen when the X is switched off but on charge? If not, try a software update.

No my issue is when charging the external long life battery, the 4th light never stops flashing unless you take it off charge, leave it and then plug it back in, then after about 30 mins all lights go solid. I then tested the battery recording from fully charged to flat and that lasted 6hrs 15mins, so the support guy told me to send the battery back for testing as it might be faulty.

No my issue is when charging the external long life battery, the 4th light never stops flashing unless you take it off charge, leave it and then plug it back in, then after about 30 mins all lights go solid. I then tested the battery recording from fully charged to flat and that lasted 6hrs 15mins, so the support guy told me to send the battery back for testing as it might be faulty.

Ah. I see. Mine will charge to all four solid with no need to disconnect.

Well, a full refund has been agreed with the seller so that’s good

I’m now at a loss what to get though as I really liked the idea of the 5 hour battery life and the low profile design of the Drift.

Any ideas anyone?

I’m now at a loss what to get though as I really liked the idea of the 5 hour battery life and the low profile design of the Drift.

Any ideas anyone?

Good result, but as I've said I'm still pleased with mine. I bought mine through moto central and got the UKGSER discount.

Any ideas anyone?

i have had drift in the past and they are good (4)
This time i went for go pro hero 2018 and love it. (firmware hack on the web converted it into a hero 5 with 4k) Yes battery life is not as good but just purchased two extra batteries and charger for under £20. Once the hero 7 black comes down in price then i will buy one of them as well.

Also have the innovv 2 front and rear camera on the bike for day to day recording

Fussy SD Cards

I have a ghost X.

I thought mine had failed but it turns out that the camera is really fussy with SD Cards. Once removed and reset and a new recommended SD card in it works a treat. :chickendance

card

just got the camera of a mate,
what card/size do you think is best for it ,some one said 32gb ? why not the 164.

Hi, to all with ghost x. Looking for helmet mounted cam with good battery - this would appear to be about the best. Couple of questions for owners, if you could help
1. The unit is not waterproof - how do you manage when it's raining? The available waterproof cover looks pretty big, does it fit on the same mount on the helmet, or indeed, can it be used on the helmet.
2. If I am on a long run and getting towards end of battery (rather than having additional battery) can it simply be plugged into the power supply on the bike with the usual optimate USB adapter I already have?

Cheers Dean

Very proud owner of a brand spanking new 1250 gs te. After 40 years of various bikes (no bmws) I can truly say this bike is awesome - and the wife thinks it's the best pillion ride she's ever had too!

Hi, to all with ghost x. Looking for helmet mounted cam with good battery - this would appear to be about the best. Couple of questions for owners, if you could help
1. The unit is not waterproof - how do you manage when it's raining? The available waterproof cover looks pretty big, does it fit on the same mount on the helmet, or indeed, can it be used on the helmet.
2. If I am on a long run and getting towards end of battery (rather than having additional battery) can it simply be plugged into the power supply on the bike with the usual optimate USB adapter I already have?

Cheers Dean

Very proud owner of a brand spanking new 1250 gs te. After 40 years of various bikes (no bmws) I can truly say this bike is awesome - and the wife thinks it's the best pillion ride she's ever had too!

I have had the Drift X since Christmas, I ride in all weathers (Blood Biking)and have been out in some heavy rain with no adverse impact. I had a small issue with a long life battery so had contact with Drift support. The camera is water resistant, but their advice is, if travelling at high speed and in torrential rain to use the waterproof case. But after conversations, they are just covering their arses, so as I said, I am happy to ride in the rain. The camera itself has an internal battery and then the 5 hour one and a long life one you can also get. The battery life with the long life one is as near as damit 8 hours. You can charge and the camera records, so you could run it off a battery pack as well. The camera uses its internal battery and the 5 hour and long life one together this gives the life. So if it ran flat and you just swapped to a new battery, then you will only get the time of the battery you stuck on, so charging both together is ideally the best way to get the battery life quoted.

Back
Top Bottom