Hastings Direct insurance

jj65

Reaction score
:blast Just spent 42 minutes asking questions (actually 29 minutes was in the que waiting) concerning accessories, alarms, disc locks etc, etc and the advisor referring to the underwriters, Turns out disc locks are worthless, locks and chains make little or no difference, fitting panniers and a Satnav are ok but not covered even though you have to tell them how much they are worth, but a different screen or seat means they will definitely not offer insurance and believe or not, reflective stickers on the back of the panniers or Handguards extensions will most likely not be allowed either.

All modifications must be declared with a value, no matter how small or insignificant, but are not covered in the event of a claim and many oem accessories will result in no cover being offered.

And here’s another twist, for exactly the same cover, filling in the same info on confused site and Hastings own site, produced a premium from confused for a Hastings policy nearly £160 less than from Hastings direct :blast.

If you want to insure a bog standard brand new GSA TE Rallye with panniers and a Nav and value it at the market value (so say £16K for a bike ridden out the showroom and 10 miles on the clock, thats how i was told to value it) you’ll be ok, but if the screen is too high/low and the seats uncomfortable your F**k*d. All i want to do is possibly add a rallye seat, fit mudslingers, panniers, Givi Handguards extensions, Nav6, tank bag, sidestand big foot and some reflective red tape on the rear of the panniers.

My final tounge in cheek question was, if I choose to wear a high viz vest would that be OK, he replied yes, but if you put it on the bike, probably not. We both laughed and he wished me well in finding cover with someone else :blast:D.

Confused.

BeMoto next I think, hopefully their underwriter might be a little more accommodating.

Hastings Direct are a broker not an underwriter, so the problem must be with the companies they are using. Some brokers do put their own clauses on policies as well. Take IAM Surety, with their garbage restrictions and the 500 metre rule for not being able to claim for theft or malicious damage. I was insured through them with Ageas, when I phoned Ageas direct, they had no such clauses imposed, so it was Surety broker.

tenor.gif

BeMoto, New for Old, covers all accessories i want covering, including the red high viz tape on the panniers :blast ;) :D (except they wont cover Nav6 if its stolen, because its too easy to nick) also covers kit and helmet cover upto £1500 and legal cover upto £100k.
Guy was very helpful and for a Bike and accessories worth £19.5k new, with a rider with only one years NCB (got 2 years, but no one would accept it as the bike policies overlapped by 5 weeks :blast did have 9 years protected NCB upto 2009, but that lapsed :tears), I’m happy with their Titanium cover at just over £700.

Yep, Bemoto very friendly and helpful, happy to cover all my accessories as well (no performance enhancing, just every day touring, comfort accessories). Certainly not the cheapest, but very comprehensive cover and great customer service. :thumb2

Found Hastings very good to buy off with very competitive pricing 5 star
HOWEVER when I changed my bike 6 weeks into the policy what a complete bunch of TOSSERS policy when up from £280 to £500+ (old bike 2016 GSA new bike 2018 exclusive 1200 GS)
After quite a bit negotiating reluctantly agreed on price went through all details all seemed to be going well till I asked if I got usual 6 month new for old as bike was brand new only to be told no never heard of that no Insurance company
offers that on a bike (all others seem to ) then a last hurdle confirmed that bike would swap over insurance at 12.00pm following day only to be told no would change at midnight , when asked how I would ride my old bike on insurance
to the dealer to get my new one he tried to offer me cover insurance . asked dhow much to cancel policy given a quote of £48 .
Following day rode to the dealer after taking out new Insurance with different company to start at 12 noon when I arrived rang Hastings at 11.45am to cancel policy only to be told £187.00 fee was due , again after much arguing and asking then to review previous night call they dropped it to £87 . Will be very reluctant to use Hasings again

Changed my 2014 gsa te for a new 2017 gsa basic with some options fitted ,broker decides that it is a higher risk (however, had I changed it for a new more expensive te model the premium would not have gone up). Queried this with the actual insurance company who stated that the insurance should have been less.

At renewal time 6 months later same broker decides that a basic model even with factory fit options should be less to insure than a te model.

Go figure

Back
Top Bottom