Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Ireland trip

Southern Ireland trip

Hi all, looking to go to Southern Ireland in July. Any tips, routes etc would be helpful.
    Never been there before so looking at 7 days possibly? Going from fishguard to rosslair.
    Also what’s the weather Like in July, hopefully dry and sunny!

Thanks in advance.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by lockdock View Post
    Hi all, looking to go to Southern Ireland in July. Any tips, routes etc would be helpful.
    Never been there before so looking at 7 days possibly? Going from fishguard to rosslair.
    Also what’s the weather Like in July, hopefully dry and sunny!

Thanks in advance.
    Possibly post this in the Ireland section so members of that parish could assist?
    Bounce

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    I'm away at the moment so can't upload gps files but I'll give you a list of places you can put into Google Maps to give you some food for thought and some of the other guys here will fill in more details for you.

Coming into the country through Rosslare lines you up perfectly for a great anti clockwise ride through the south west and west of the country which, by a happy coincidence has arguably the finest scenery we have to offer.

Go through Waterford then follow the Copper Coast through Bunmahon then through Dungarvan and Youghal before skirting Cork City and heading out to the west of the county.

Kinsale is said to be the gastronomic capital of the country after which you hit Clonakilty (home of great black and white pudding) then Skibberreen where you start into the peninsulas of West Cork. Each is different and all are beautiful but try to take in the Beara Peninsula and ride the Healy Pass on your way to Castletown Bere and Allihies.

Kenmare is next which starts you onto the Ring of Kerry through Sneem and Cahersiveen then through Killorglin and onto the Dingle peninsula. A walk on the beach at Inch is nice and after Dingle make sure that you ride the Connor Pass on the way to Tralee.

By now you may have used up four days so head for Tarbert and the Shannon Ferry to Killimer and follow the coast up through County Clare taking in Lahinch, Fr Ted's house and the Burren on your way to Kinvarra and into Galway where you can high tail it across country back to Rosslare and the ferry home. An overnight in Kilkenny on the way would be a good idea too.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what you can do in your week bearing in mind that journey times on the routes I have listed are most likely not what you are used to. Which is the perfect excuse to live life at a slower pace for a few days and enjoy your holiday and our beautiful country.
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Thanks for that, want to have a nice ride with time for stops etc rather than a 200 mile a day thrash. How man days would you suggest to go for considering this?

Chee s
    Dave

Day 1. Rosslare to Kinsale via Bunmahon and the Copper Coast. 140 miles .
    Depends on what time you get off a ferry though. You might not want to go so far on the first day.

Day 2. Kinsale to Glengarriff. 160 miles. Via Clonakilty, Skiberreen, Schull, Bantry, Castletown Bere , Allihies and the Healey Pass.

Day 3. Glengarriff to Dingle. 140 miles. Via Kenmare, Sneem, Ballinskelligs, Portmagee, the beautiful Inch Beach.

Day 4 Dingle to Lahinch. 100 miles. A short distance but you ride the Connor Pass then through Tralee to Tarbert where you take the ferry across the Shannon estuary to Killimer, on to Kilkee and then Lahinch. You could even visit Trumps Hotel near Doonbeg on the way.

Day 5. Lahinch to Galway. 80 miles. Another short day but you can visit the Cliffs of Mother (over 800ft high) Fr Ted's House, the Burren and Black Head before a night on the piss in Galway which has to be done.

Day 6. Galway to Rosslare 165 miles. Via Loughrea, Roscrea, and Kilkenny.

This is just a rough idea and will depend on how many days you want, ferry times etc. Have a wee look at it and search on the places listed to see what you might like to visit. Accommodation is plentiful at all price points and the whole "biker friendly" thing isn't a thing at all over here. We only want your money!!
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

I have moved this original thread across to this section and removed the one you started in here.

Brilliant, thanks for info.

le jeu des treize Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan1150 View Post
    I'm away at the moment so can't upload gps files but I'll give you a list of places you can put into Google Maps to give you some food for thought and some of the other guys here will fill in more details for you.

Coming into the country through Rosslare lines you up perfectly for a great anti clockwise ride through the south west and west of the country which, by a happy coincidence has arguably the finest scenery we have to offer.

Go through Waterford then follow the Copper Coast through Bunmahon then through Dungarvan and Youghal before skirting Cork City and heading out to the west of the county.

Kinsale is said to be the gastronomic capital of the country after which you hit Clonakilty (home of great black and white pudding) then Skibberreen where you start into the peninsulas of West Cork. Each is different and all are beautiful but try to take in the Beara Peninsula and ride the Healy Pass on your way to Castletown Bere and Allihies.

Kenmare is next which starts you onto the Ring of Kerry through Sneem and Cahersiveen then through Killorglin and onto the Dingle peninsula. A walk on the beach at Inch is nice and after Dingle make sure that you ride the Connor Pass on the way to Tralee.

By now you may have used up four days so head for Tarbert and the Shannon Ferry to Killimer and follow the coast up through County Clare taking in Lahinch, Fr Ted's house and the Burren on your way to Kinvarra and into Galway where you can high tail it across country back to Rosslare and the ferry home. An overnight in Kilkenny on the way would be a good idea too.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what you can do in your week bearing in mind that journey times on the routes I have listed are most likely not what you are used to. Which is the perfect excuse to live life at a slower pace for a few days and enjoy your holiday and our beautiful country.
    Was in Skibberreen last year for the first time and took a days ride to the Healy Pass on the Beara Peninsular with Fatal of this parish.
    Fabulous scenery and empty roads. Just ashame we was only there for a long weekend.
    When I get down there next time I'll ride the other routes you're suggesting.

Enjoy your trip Lockdock it's a great place to ride, eat and drink. I just thought I'd post this pic from last year's trip to wet your appetite.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time,
    but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

I'm over The Republic in May,meeting up with my old friend of this parish Hatcho. I'll try and leave it in one piece for you.

Looks really cool. Thanks for info.

Dont miss the flying boat museum on the Shannon at Foynes. Concorde? Pah!
    Start every day with a smile ... Get it over with!

Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
    Quote Originally Posted by brut33 View Post
    Was in Skibberreen last year for the first time and took a days ride to the Healy Pass on the Beara Peninsular with Fatal of this parish.
    Fabulous scenery and empty roads. Just ashame we was only there for a long weekend.
    When I get down there next time I'll ride the other routes you're suggesting.

Enjoy your trip Lockdock it's a great place to ride, eat and drink. I just thought I'd post this pic from last year's trip to wet your appetite.
    My first post in a very long time, this photo is the Healy Pass, it is a must do, south to North preferably. Allihies is a great place to spend a night. Actually don't make the mistake of staying in big tourist towns at the start of peninsulas, stay in the villages at the ends.
    Keep it Fluffy...
    Honda Varadero 2001..
    check out my way of life http://www.balooz.com
    check out my divesite http://www.cluin.com
    check out my motoguide site http://www.motomunster.com

you going on your own?
    Need Help in Hertfordshire? - See www.tekmotive.co.uk or call on 01707 265000.

Currently riding a '03 R1150RT and a heavily modified Suzuki TL1000S commonly known as an UNO! ....... plus one or two TLS's in bits in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    I'm over The Republic in May,meeting up with my old friend of this parish Hatcho. I'll try and leave it in one piece for you.
    One piece?? Fat chance of that happening! Even Brexit won't be as bad as the trail of destruction you are sure to leave in your wake!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    One piece?? Fat chance of that happening! Even Brexit won't be as bad as the trail of destruction you are sure to leave in your wake!
    Has it recovered from last time?

Check out the series Wildbadtouring (Richy Vida) put up on Youtube recently and you'll know what you are in for. Think they mostly followed the WAW (Wild Atlantic way) with some detours to scenic routes. I'm heading down that way myself with a bunch of mates in July.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast