Southern Ireland trip

lockdock

Reaction score
Hi all, looking to go to Southern Ireland in July. Any tips, routes etc would be helpful.
Never been there before so looking at 7 days possibly? Going from fishguard to rosslair.
Also what’s the weather Like in July, hopefully dry and sunny!

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, looking to go to Southern Ireland in July. Any tips, routes etc would be helpful.
Never been there before so looking at 7 days possibly? Going from fishguard to rosslair.

Thanks in advance.

Possibly post this in the Ireland section so members of that parish could assist? :D

I'm away at the moment so can't upload gps files but I'll give you a list of places you can put into Google Maps to give you some food for thought and some of the other guys here will fill in more details for you.

Coming into the country through Rosslare lines you up perfectly for a great anti clockwise ride through the south west and west of the country which, by a happy coincidence has arguably the finest scenery we have to offer.

Go through Waterford then follow the Copper Coast through Bunmahon then through Dungarvan and Youghal before skirting Cork City and heading out to the west of the county.

Kinsale is said to be the gastronomic capital of the country after which you hit Clonakilty (home of great black and white pudding) then Skibberreen where you start into the peninsulas of West Cork. Each is different and all are beautiful but try to take in the Beara Peninsula and ride the Healy Pass on your way to Castletown Bere and Allihies.

Kenmare is next which starts you onto the Ring of Kerry through Sneem and Cahersiveen then through Killorglin and onto the Dingle peninsula. A walk on the beach at Inch is nice and after Dingle make sure that you ride the Connor Pass on the way to Tralee.

By now you may have used up four days so head for Tarbert and the Shannon Ferry to Killimer and follow the coast up through County Clare taking in Lahinch, Fr Ted's house and the Burren on your way to Kinvarra and into Galway where you can high tail it across country back to Rosslare and the ferry home. An overnight in Kilkenny on the way would be a good idea too.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what you can do in your week bearing in mind that journey times on the routes I have listed are most likely not what you are used to. Which is the perfect excuse to live life at a slower pace for a few days and enjoy your holiday and our beautiful country.

Thanks for that, want to have a nice ride with time for stops etc rather than a 200 mile a day thrash. How man days would you suggest to go for considering this?

Chee s
Dave

Day 1. Rosslare to Kinsale via Bunmahon and the Copper Coast. 140 miles .
Depends on what time you get off a ferry though. You might not want to go so far on the first day.

Day 2. Kinsale to Glengarriff. 160 miles. Via Clonakilty, Skiberreen, Schull, Bantry, Castletown Bere , Allihies and the Healey Pass.

Day 3. Glengarriff to Dingle. 140 miles. Via Kenmare, Sneem, Ballinskelligs, Portmagee, the beautiful Inch Beach.

Day 4 Dingle to Lahinch. 100 miles. A short distance but you ride the Connor Pass then through Tralee to Tarbert where you take the ferry across the Shannon estuary to Killimer, on to Kilkee and then Lahinch. You could even visit Trumps Hotel near Doonbeg on the way.

Day 5. Lahinch to Galway. 80 miles. Another short day but you can visit the Cliffs of Mother (over 800ft high) Fr Ted's House, the Burren and Black Head before a night on the piss in Galway which has to be done.

Day 6. Galway to Rosslare 165 miles. Via Loughrea, Roscrea, and Kilkenny.

This is just a rough idea and will depend on how many days you want, ferry times etc. Have a wee look at it and search on the places listed to see what you might like to visit. Accommodation is plentiful at all price points and the whole "biker friendly" thing isn't a thing at all over here. We only want your money!!

I have moved this original thread across to this section and removed the one you started in here. :thumb2

I'm away at the moment so can't upload gps files but I'll give you a list of places you can put into Google Maps to give you some food for thought and some of the other guys here will fill in more details for you.

Coming into the country through Rosslare lines you up perfectly for a great anti clockwise ride through the south west and west of the country which, by a happy coincidence has arguably the finest scenery we have to offer.

Go through Waterford then follow the Copper Coast through Bunmahon then through Dungarvan and Youghal before skirting Cork City and heading out to the west of the county.

Kinsale is said to be the gastronomic capital of the country after which you hit Clonakilty (home of great black and white pudding) then Skibberreen where you start into the peninsulas of West Cork. Each is different and all are beautiful but try to take in the Beara Peninsula and ride the Healy Pass on your way to Castletown Bere and Allihies.

Kenmare is next which starts you onto the Ring of Kerry through Sneem and Cahersiveen then through Killorglin and onto the Dingle peninsula. A walk on the beach at Inch is nice and after Dingle make sure that you ride the Connor Pass on the way to Tralee.

By now you may have used up four days so head for Tarbert and the Shannon Ferry to Killimer and follow the coast up through County Clare taking in Lahinch, Fr Ted's house and the Burren on your way to Kinvarra and into Galway where you can high tail it across country back to Rosslare and the ferry home. An overnight in Kilkenny on the way would be a good idea too.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what you can do in your week bearing in mind that journey times on the routes I have listed are most likely not what you are used to. Which is the perfect excuse to live life at a slower pace for a few days and enjoy your holiday and our beautiful country.

Was in Skibberreen last year for the first time and took a days ride to the Healy Pass on the Beara Peninsular with Fatal of this parish.
Fabulous scenery and empty roads. Just ashame we was only there for a long weekend.
When I get down there next time I'll ride the other routes you're suggesting.:thumb2

Enjoy your trip Lockdock it's a great place to ride, eat and drink. I just thought I'd post this pic from last year's trip to wet your appetite.:thumb2

Attachments

• IMG_20180407_133527346.jpg
    IMG_20180407_133527346.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 389
I'm over The Republic in May,meeting up with my old friend of this parish Hatcho. I'll try and leave it in one piece for you.:aidan

Was in Skibberreen last year for the first time and took a days ride to the Healy Pass on the Beara Peninsular with Fatal of this parish.
Fabulous scenery and empty roads. Just ashame we was only there for a long weekend.
When I get down there next time I'll ride the other routes you're suggesting.:thumb2

Enjoy your trip Lockdock it's a great place to ride, eat and drink. I just thought I'd post this pic from last year's trip to wet your appetite.:thumb2

My first post in a very long time, this photo is the Healy Pass, it is a must do, south to North preferably. Allihies is a great place to spend a night. Actually don't make the mistake of staying in big tourist towns at the start of peninsulas, stay in the villages at the ends.

I'm over The Republic in May,meeting up with my old friend of this parish Hatcho. I'll try and leave it in one piece for you.:aidan

One piece?? Fat chance of that happening! Even Brexit won't be as bad as the trail of destruction you are sure to leave in your wake! :p

Check out the series Wildbadtouring (Richy Vida) put up on Youtube recently and you'll know what you are in for. Think they mostly followed the WAW (Wild Atlantic way) with some detours to scenic routes. I'm heading down that way myself with a bunch of mates in July.

Thanks in advance.

Aidan1150's advice is solid and you'll not go too far wrong with his suggestions. As regards the weather, it will be a lottery. Even during our finest recent summers, July can be an odd month. Having said that, I hope the weather is amazing for you and hope you really enjoy the trip. You can't go wrong heading for the south-west and west really. And soak up the Guinness (or Murphy's when in Cork) !

some great suggestions. Just think ahead re gear, ireland isnt always under water, but decent rain gear and spare gloves help. Always lock the bike too when parked up.

Ireland isnt cheap either, and the places already mentioned like west cork etc are picture pretty but can be v pricey. Plus theyll be full of tourists...very busy. go the b&b route if you want to be frugal.

if you get to a town called " Sneem ", check out their local "pudding" in the butchers, maybe local eateries serve it. Very good and much better than the alleged "pudding" "from" cork - which is nothing special trust me. Baltimore, Glengariff, Baltimore, Skull etc in Cork are worth it along with Crookhaven, Mizen head - avoid kinsale imo.

Kerry has some good roads, but again watch out for tourist drivers in cars. Dingle again can be very busy so you can gauge it. Up along the west coast is great, but galway city itself can be also v busy, Id avoid myself, so depends what you are into.

the suggestion re Lahinch by way of the ferry route is a good idea, through Co Clare.

Back
Top Bottom