Nav V Slow to Calculate Route

That smells to me like you are looking at just the base map. Quite why the detailed maps would suddenly spring into life by crossing the Channel I have no idea.

As a really wild guess. I wonder if your device has just the base maps installed and active? As it's all but impossible not to have the base maps active, we can assume that they are there.

Did you perhaps create your route to Chimay on your home computer? If so, did it ask you if you'd to bring the detailed maps of the route with it when you imported the route? If so, it is possible (I have never tried) that the detailed maps are linked to the imported route and to nothing else. In other words, if you want to see the detail, you need to run the route.

That is a real stab in the dark on my part as I am struggling to see why you cannot see properly installed detailed maps of south and north Europe on your Nav VI.

Ok, so I put a test route into MyRouteApp to Chimay, zoomed in on the screen to look at the detail. I then exported the route to the Nav VI and then let the route calculate. I then zoomed in on the Nav and yes, you are correct its the same :) But for some reason, when I just put Chimay in as a destination and then looked at the route, I can't seem to zoom to the same detail. Which is odd as they must be both using the same map in the device. So I need to play a bit more, but this doesn't make sense :)

Ok, so I put a test route into MyRouteApp to Chimay, zoomed in on the screen to look at the detail. I then exported the route to the Nav VI and then let the route calculate. I then zoomed in on the Nav and yes, you are correct its the same :) But for some reason, when I just put Chimay in as a destination and then looked at the route, I can't seem to zoom to the same detail. Which is odd as they must be both using the same map in the device. So I need to play a bit more, but this doesn't make sense :)

OK.

I am sitting in London, just using a Nav VI, running the latest set of maps, fully installed. I am not using a home computer, nor any third party route plotting software, like MyRouteApp.

I have turned the device’s GPS antenna off.

I can zoom in to see Chimay, in full detail, all the streets, names etc etc etc

I asked the device to create a route from its last known location (it happened to be near enough home) to Chimay. This it did very quickly, giving me Tower Bridge Approach to Chimay in four and a quarter hours and a distance of 255 miles. I can zoom in all along the route and see all the minute detail. The device asked me if I’d like to simulate driving the route, so it definitely knows the way A to B.

Thinking this might be luck, I then asked it for Salisbury (A303) to Chimay. Again, bingo. Full detail, 333 miles in 5 hours 10 minutes.

I am therefore stuck with the only conclusion that your device (and the OP’s) is for some reason or another not picking up the detailed maps or they are simply not installed fully or not active.

Just as a final check and to make sure that distance alone did not scupper the device’s ability, I asked it for London to Athens, via Chimay, picking a random small street in the Greek capital as a target destination. Again, bingo! But wait.... it stuck at 99%, unable to display the full distance but.... it gave me a message:

The route is too long. Navigation instructions are added as you approach the destination
* so I clicked OK

It’s a bloody long way from London to Chimay to Athens**, so I’m not surprised or disappointed that it fell over, not being able to give me the full route in detail. It could though draw the magenta line, which I could zoom in on all the way along, in full detail. In other words, I could ride it. Somewhere along the very long magenta line, the device will complete its detailed, turn by turn calculations and instructions, taking me all the way to Athens and to a spot that is Komvos 10-Leoforos Kymis, 141 21 Athens, Greece. In short, it all works, just as I believe it should. Had a created the route in BaseCamp, I am reasonably confident the device could display it and give me full routing instructions, straight off the bat, my Mac having done all the hard calculation work.

Sorry, I can’t do much more to help you, other than suggest you check your map installations again.

Richard

* That is not a million mles from what Garmin maybe said to you, except yours was a map problem, not a routing problem.

** It won’t stop someone in the Travel section asking for roads to ride, things to see and safe places to sleep for him and his 17 mates, going tomorrow.

It may be worth checking which route setting you are using,
Using curvy roads on your chosen route can slow calculation significantly,
Using faster on routes you have mapped may help,

Just a shot in the dark, but what Class is your SD card? Could it be that the Nav is asking for data and having to wait for the card? Have you tried another card?

Back
Top Bottom