Another 525 rebuild Thread

rocky burns

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mid wales Where roads were built for bikes
Bought the bike last Tuesday from a chap down south. 8 hour round trip to pick it up and home in the van.
Its a factory edition with low hours but had been stood since 2008 and left in a barn untouched until now.

Wednesday morning I got in the garage and in 45 it was looking like this. Done a few of these now so know my way around them pretty well.

Sent the frame off to a local chap who blasted the bottom half for me.

While the frame was away been blasted I decided to pull the engine to pieces to check the top end. It's a bike I would like to keep as they are getting pretty desirable now.

Unluckily the bike seemed to have been washed before putting away with a small amount of water getting into the barrel probably through the air box.
Its caused a score mark on the side of the piston. Barrel is ok but I'm going to rebuild the top end with new piston, rings, cam bearings, chain and water pump seals.

Got to do a job properly or there is no point in doing it at all.

Pulled the carb to bits and fully rebuilt it. You can tell it had been stood with the amount of slush in the carb bowl that had dried into a black paste.
Everything soaked in carb cleaner it came up pretty well.
I dont think it will ned to be ultrasonicly cleaned as it was running quite nicely before strip down.

Set the float height to correct spec also.

Managed to get the frame primed and painted today. Looks quite shiny, but it is satin and should dry duller than the pictures.
Could of had it powder coated but I went for the paint option as sometimes powder coat is too thick and fills all the bolt holes. When you start retapping the threads it cracks the powder.

Looking good that and no messing around :thumb2.

Swing arm and shock bearings going in this morning. They were pretty good anyway but like to make sure everything is new going back together.
Also got the 3 new chain sliders.

Hopefully get the forks re built this after noon .

Nice job.

I would have thought a re-ring would be enough, if the bore isn't scored.

BTW, am I seeing straight - has 'orangeness' even infected the con-rod?

Nice job.

I would have thought a re-ring would be enough, if the bore isn't scored.

BTW, am I seeing straight - has 'orangeness' even infected the con-rod?

The rod has been copperised so that carbon is only absorbed into the steel where case hardening is required. I.E. big end bore and faces.

I think 🤔

Oh how I feel inadequate reading threads like this.

But enjoy them very much.

New headstock bearings this morning. Same again really, they would have been ok with some new grease but for the sake of £14 it's not worth the hassle at a later date.

Cleaned up all the wiring ready to go back on. A good little tip for cleaning things like this (cooker cleaning foam)
Came up really nice and a good dose of electrical spray in all the connectors just to make sure.

I had a little spare time and couldn't resist fitting my steering damper. I think you need one on these bikes :green gri

Also got a little bit of the wiring redone, it's not in the way of putting the engine back in and a bit closer to the end product..

On to the forks today as j didn't get a chance on Sunday.

It's only a ten minute job to pull these apart.

Bushes were actually in really good condition. You lose the coating when there is wear in them and can see a gold colour coming through.

The rebound adjusters on these are prone to seizure as they dont run in the oil and get all clogged up. People dont seem to go to to the full extent of stripping this side when changing the oil.
It was stuck in the one leg:rolleyes:

It's this brass valve that gets stuck as it has a seal on the end that binds.

Good clean up and wash out, carb cleaner through all the shim stacks and ready for rebuild.

Nice new set of genuine fork seals and dust covers.

All in order on the stancion the way that they go back in.

Bought myself a fork seal hammer the other day, so time to put it to the test :D

This Snapon wrench is a God send on a job like this. Especially for the bottom nut.

All sorted for today. Will get some 5 weight oil tomorrow as my shop had ran out. the air gap on these is 130mm so wilm get that correct and they can go back on the bike :thumb

Had enough for today so took my little girl out on her bike for an hour while the sun was out :)

Nice work Craig :thumb
Must admit, I get the jitters any further than taking the inner cartridges out.
Mark

Nice work Craig :thumb
Must admit, I get the jitters any further than taking the inner cartridges out.
Mark

Don't worry Mark, they're simple enough ;)

Attachments

• 20181018_142122-01.jpg
    20181018_142122-01.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 317

Back
Top Bottom