Hello from Lincolnshire- Advise Please

kiwanja

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm from lincolnshire and own a 1200 GAS 2015 for a year now, I have had lots of bikes over the years but this is my first adventure type bike. I have had my bike back to the dealer as the handle bars wobble slightly at around 60-70mph. I Have had new tyres and been balanced twice and the dealer says the balance is good with the suspension etc and i have a "natural weave" , never had a bike with one before and just wanted to know if this is a known issue with these bikes. Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike..

Eh? ............ NO, assuming we are talking about the bike & not your barnet. Is this a BMW dealer? - name & shame if so. This kind of BS is disgraceful.

What mileage is the bike? It could be many things, such as front ball joints on higher mileage machines, the front shock, or the wheel may be out of true.

BTW, You don't say whether all was good before the tyre change - if it only came about afterwards, then I would warrant that the beads have failed to seat correctly, leaving a slight run-out at the tyre contact point - easily checked by any competent tyre depot.

Eh? ............ NO, assuming we are talking about the bike & not your barnet. Is this a BMW dealer? - name & shame if so. This kind of BS is disgraceful.

What mileage is the bike? It could be many things, such as front ball joints on higher mileage machines, the front shock, or the wheel may be out of true.

BTW, You don't say whether all was good before the tyre change - if it only came about afterwards, then I would warrant that the beads have failed to seat correctly, leaving a slight run-out at the tyre contact point - easily checked by any competent tyre depot.

Hi , The mileage is 11k miles. The tyres were changed as i thought it may be the problem. I think it will need to go back to the dealer, I thought they were fobbing me off so just asked the question to see if anyone else had this issue.

Come on ......... who is this 'dealer' giving you all the bullshit? We like to name these characters on here so others GSers are forewarned..........no more than they deserve.

If said dealer is distant, any respectable local bike tyre fitter will opine on the tyre bead issue. However, if the beads show a run-out, it will need a re-balance afterwards.

Assuming you would have checked to see if the wheel is true, just a couple of final thoughts
- when the old tyre came off was there evidence of any gloop - say sealant from a previous puncture repair or foam that wasn't cleaned off the rim thoroughly?
- Has your bike got TPMS? - the sensor can break loose after a careless fit.

What's the make of tyre?

I had your symptoms on my 800 with Metzeler Tourance ... everything was balanced up, was the same with a couple of sets :eek:

Now changed to Continental Trail Attack 2's ... no problem :thumb

Oh, and by the way, welcome to UKGSer Mike :thumby:

:beerjug:

Come on ......... who is this 'dealer' giving you all the bullshit? We like to name these characters on here so others GSers are forewarned..........no more than they deserve.

If said dealer is distant, any respectable local bike tyre fitter will opine on the tyre bead issue. However, if the beads show a run-out, it will need a re-balance afterwards.

Assuming you would have checked to see if the wheel is true, just a couple of final thoughts
- when the old tyre came off was there evidence of any gloop - say sealant from a previous puncture repair or foam that wasn't cleaned off the rim thoroughly?
- Has your bike got TPMS? - the sensor can break loose after a careless fit.

Looks like it will be going back to the dealer in Peterborough and they can do more investigating....

What's the make of tyre?

I had your symptoms on my 800 with Metzeler Tourance ... everything was balanced up, was the same with a couple of sets

Now changed to Continental Trail Attack 2's ... no problem

Oh, and by the way, welcome to UKGSer Mike

I have just put a set of Continental Trail Attack 2 on.

Thanks for the advise all..

With or without panniers?
Also - screen type (original or larger?) and position?

I noticed on my last bike, with panniers on and screen raised, I could get a gentle weave at ~80mph on long sweepers. Only happened one-up (passenger fixed it), and unladen (altho I am 14 stone).

I know the dealer you bought it off in Peterborough and the after sales service you get from them is second to everyone else. I would never spend another penny of my hard earned with those c.u.n.t.s.

On all my bikes that have had luggage on I always get a wobble, but usually at 40mph without my hands on the bars. I did have a weave one that I couldn't cure, had the wheel balanced, put new brake discs on and all sorts of things done. Then I got a front wheel puncture (unrelated) and had to put a new tyre on. Cured it instantly. Seems the tyre was the problem, it seems it had a fault on it that couldn't bee seen like a slight egg.

Are you saying, in all seriousness, that Balderston sent you away with BS like that? Please clarify. Then go talk to the Dealer Principal & damn well complain properly - this sort of crap shouldn't ever be allowed to pass unchallenged. It's potentially dangerous practice. In the biking community we all owe it to one another.

https://www.balderston.net/

Thanks for the replies everyone, The bike is booked in at the dealer and they are keeping it until something is found and hopefully resolved. I will update when fixed... Hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom