well first ride on the RS ..hmmm

jackassdave

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
well first ride on the rs { and first ride ever on one} after coming off the shovel head and the triumph it was rather strange and to be honest not that good it felt rather heavy the bars felt really narrow and a bit alien to start with I didn't like it at all.a quick trip to Asda to fill up and oh well of again [ every said the bars were narrow to much weight on your wrists etc } and it felt like that to start with .
the longer I was out with it I started to relax a bit and settle in the more I relaxed the better it felt and after about half an hour I started to enjoy it , now im not a fast or a knee down rider in any way but I could see how easy it was to be able cover ground { not talking g about it in modern standards}.
by the time I got home I had really enjoyed it the bike ran like a dream felt good and even stable someone before me had spent a lot of money on it twin plugged new discs etc .
im still undecided about it as a keeper because id really like an older model {naked style} with drum brakes but I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of it

Ahh, The RS - the original gentlemans express. They do grow on you, but in the end I preferred the RT to the RS, pretty much for the initial reasons you mentioned. I think there is a fairly standard mod you can do on the bars (K bike bars, I think) which can help. Either way, they look great with that faired in headlight, my favourite BMW design ever.

Ahh, The RS - the original gentlemans express. They do grow on you, but in the end I preferred the RT to the RS, pretty much for the initial reasons you mentioned. I think there is a fairly standard mod you can do on the bars (K bike bars, I think) which can help. Either way, they look great with that faired in headlight, my favourite BMW design ever.

to be honest I didn't mind the bars at all intact quite liked them I also had an rt great bike

The first time I rode a BMW, I was not impressed, clunky gearchange, iffy brakes etc etc. (And I was coming off a GT500 Suzuki!). Took it for a week down to Albany (Western Australia) and we finally bonded, that was in 1976 and haven’t been long without an airhead ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The first time I rode a BMW, I was not impressed, clunky gearchange, iffy brakes etc etc. (And I was coming off a GT500 Suzuki!). Took it for a week down to Albany (Western Australia) and we finally bonded, that was in 1976 and haven’t been long without an airhead ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ive had about 12 airheads but never an RS to be honest everyone said " the handlebars are too narrow " " its this and that " which put me off getting before now but I really enjoyed it

The first BMW I rode was an R100CS. I was so impressed I bought one. Wish I hadn’t sold it.

The RS grows on you, can feel awkward when you smart off but improves with a bit of speed.

Recently changed the the front master cylinder on mine to get rid of the wooden feeling at the lever, much better now, strangely I find the RS box the smoothest of my 3 airheads.

The RS grows on you, can feel awkward when you smart off but improves with a bit of speed.

Recently changed the the front master cylinder on mine to get rid of the wooden feeling at the lever, much better now, strangely I find the RS box the smoothest of my 3 airheads.

actually I thought this was pretty smooth as well

Really glad you're bonding with it Dave.

I test rode one once and I know what you mean about the bars. Someone on here perfectly described it as like 'riding a bike with both hands in a washing up bowl'...

Anyway... one day I shall join you and buy one*

*Assuming they haven't all been hipsterised by then!!

Never found the bars narrow, but I do have a short reach/arm length. All ergonomics can be sorted with a few aftermarket accessories. Its a lot lighter than a rt and great for touring never understood why it don't sell better. Don't follow the crowed get one you wont regret it. :thumb2

I had the same problem with my RS, too much pressure on my ageing wrists. I got some second hand bars from Motorworks, slightly higher and wider and it’s made a huge difference to me. No need to change any cables etc. I also removed the faring and I prefer the naked look.

Rode all over Europe on my RS back in the 1980's. Away for 4-6 weeks, two pair of jeans (one pair for riding, one for "best") one pair of boots. :D

Only pain the arse was the restricted turning circle due to the bars inside the fairing when riding in towns.

Attachments

• RS.jpg
    RS.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 311
Nice in ‘Gendarme’ blue - those were the days. Never ridden an RS but really liked the RT, possibly because it was a bit like sailing a boat :D

Really glad you're bonding with it Dave.

I test rode one once and I know what you mean about the bars. Someone on here perfectly described it as like 'riding a bike with both hands in a washing up bowl'...

Anyway... one day I shall join you and buy one*

*Assuming they haven't all been hipsterised by then!!

Don’t wait too long, an RS requires a flexible back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rode all over Europe on my RS back in the 1980's. Away for 4-6 weeks, two pair of jeans (one pair for riding, one for "best") one pair of boots. :D

Only pain the arse was the restricted turning circle due to the bars inside the fairing when riding in towns.

I bet you e still got those jeans and can fit into them

Timeless looking bike. Still easy on the eye after more than forty years. Bought a '79 in '83 and only sold her in 2010. Big mistake. So easy to work on and service. Twin plugging worthwhile. Toured Europe every year with wife/kids on back. Narrow bars no problem after a while. Have to keep straight hollow back to keep weight off wrists. Don't expect the ATE's to stop you quickly.

Timeless bike . Fucking naff footwear, though steppers !

Mine took a few hard knocks while riding across europe.. :D and the boots and jeans survived and i didn't have a scratch. :D

Attachments

• iphone Pictures 1658.jpg
    iphone Pictures 1658.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 202

Back
Top Bottom