Venice recommendations

smirky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As part of our euro trip we will be staying in venice, just wondered if anyone has hotel or airbb advice?

bike parking i'll play it by ear and see how that goes :beerjug:

We stayed at B and B Fortuny (www.bbfortuny.com), right in the heart of Venice, with good access to everything there. If we were going back to Venice, we would stay there again. Andrea, the owner, is a mine of information and makes you feel valued as a guest. It's a bit pricey, but so are all central Venice hotels.

You will need to park outside the city centre and get a vaporetto, or water taxi. They are readily available.

I stayed at B&B Sandra with my missus, it is just outside the really busy section around 5 minute walk from the Rialto Bridge.

It is a lot nicer than the name suggests and they provide a great breakfast, I also liked the idea where all guests ate breakfast around a large round table, so chatted every morning with other guests very friendly, it is in the Cannaregio District where there are some very nice and really cheap Ostaria and restaurants. I was expecting to spend a fortune in Venice but eating just off the main areas made it very reasonable.

I would also recommend the La Biennale for a couple of days of looking at modern art. We also did a city walk starting at the Campo de Geremia which was an alternative to the usual St Marks stuff.

Camping Fusina. They have nice air conditioned cabins, a great bar and water bus to the centre of Venice.
Stayed there a few times. Highly recommended.

Camping Fusina. They have nice air conditioned cabins, a great bar and water bus to the centre of Venice.
Stayed there a few times. Highly recommended.

I was just about to recommend this :thumb2.
If you want more luxury and absolutely amazing food then about 1km down from the campsite there's a lovely little family run guesthouse but attached to that there's this place https://www.facebook.com/alcacciatorefusina/?

The food is amazing and at a fraction of Venice prices..and without the pomposity :D
The chef has worked in some of the most exclusive restaurants in the world and he's currently home working in the family restaurant and trying to get the name on the map...did I say that the food was amazing.

I understand there are some nice places to eat in St Mark's Square, good value pizza, cheap wine and beer, just go for it.

Err - when are you planning to arrive in Venezia precisely?

According to an old Italian friend, she reckons the best time is mid/late October, well outside any festivals/school hols/events. Otherwise, spring & summertime, the whole place is absolutely infested with tourists these days. Cruise ships have added to the load, where they can spill thousands into the place, at once virtually. The place endured major flooding early this year & the authorities are looking at ways of bringing matters under control, rather as some ski-resorts do, in an attempt to limit numbers. Parking - easy to check out the garaging options near the road/rail causeway; just google it up.

Personally - we used Camping Fusina many times in the past. It's an easy boat ride into the old City but the Mozzis can get unbearable. Latterly, since the tourist boom, we have stayed out in Padova, using the Hotel Galileo, which has excellent underground parking. It's a short bus ride to the station (tickets from hotel reception), then a 30 min trip into Venezia on the train. Padova is well worth exploring itself though; a beautiful old City. Their is/was a great little restaurant not far from the HG, called El Funghi IIRC. Brilliant food & grog at sensible money, they cater for the Uni personnel.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the trip.

I know its personal preference, but if I want to visit a city I don't use the bike. Much better to fly in and use public transport. Vennic is the same only more so. If you get into Venice I will recommend the following.

Hotel
Restaurant

not cheap though. :)

We stayed in Hotel Antica Fenice, about 15 minutes with bus to Venice bus station. And the bus leaves almost in front of the hotel.
Very friendly place, good food and reasonable priced. There are no nightclubs whatsoever nearby, which is good, imho.
There is no garage for bike, only the parking place but I think it is CCTV monitored.

Just got back from here:

https://www.anticodoge.com/

Not cheap, but beautiful rooms and adequate breakfast..several minutes easy walk from the vaporetto stops at Rialto. Lots of decent places to eat in the area. I saw coffee for 11 euros in St Marks square...5.50 for two elsewhere! Some-ones got to pay for the 4 piece bands!

20190328_155626-L.jpg

Outside looking in....

20190325_095533-L.jpg

Inside looking out.....

20190326_101716-L.jpg

Rialto

A great thing was the 72 hr vaporetto pass....got us round and about, as well as trips out to Burano(well worth a visit) and Murano.

Absolutely no vehicles....even peddly bikes....in Venice itself.

Bad enough in March....must be hell in the summer.

A great place for a wee break, direct flights from Embra, not so quick for our luggage, which took a day longer than we did to arrive! Water bus from airport to centre.

We've been 3 times, always stayed pretty central. Never paid more than 130 euro for the both of us per night for b&b. Can't remember the name of the Hotel, I'll ask Jo and post it up.
For us Venice is about getting off the beaten track, it's not difficult to spend seven hours walking around taking in the sights and sounds. If you see a restaurant you fancy, mark it on your map for the evening. loads of fantastic back street eateries that are no more expensive than home.

It's much quieter on a night as a lot of day visitors have gone. Avoid St Marks square, OK for a quick look around, but the real Venice is beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom