K1100 Oil / Water pump weeping

<<Mark_C>>

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I want to use my fairly recently acquired K for a trip around the Highlands in a few weeks time. After each ride I'm getting some slight weeping from the oil / water pump hole. No water in the oil or oil in the water as far as I can see, and the leak is not bad enough to drip on the floor. Its been like this since I bought the bike last October but I've only done about 500 miles on it so far. For all I know its been like this for years.

Is this something that will just get gradually worse or is it something that might just let go and leave me stranded? Do they all do that Sir? Bike has done 65000.

46742630824_305c4ce41b_b.jpg
[/url]135 by Mark C, on Flickr[/IMG]

I had this on a K100. It will leave you stranded if it fails completely. Easily fixed. Drain the oil and water. Removed the pump and replaced the seal. Refill fluids.

Stripped it down now. Here's the shaft. Would you say its reusable? Or is it toast?

47453315272_e4d42fd510_c.jpg
[/url]005 by M, on Flickr[/IMG]

From the photo, it's reusable, clean up the shaft with 600 or 800 wet and dry before re-fitting.
The pitting is outside the seal area so not a problem.

Just to finish this thread, the shaft did indeed clean up pretty well. Fitted new seals and bike has now done 300 miles completely leak free. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom