New member, old bike. Seeking advice on cat B write off

mathewjf

Reaction score
Hi all, new member seeking some wisdom, sorry if this is the wrong place to post.
I've got a 2008 f800 that I've owned since early 2017. Late 2017 I was hit by a van while riding and the bike suffered a bit of damage.

Long story short it's cosmetic damage EXCEPT the L pillion footpeg holder has a very minor (~5-10°) bend in it and is such a unrepairable write off due to frame damage.

After 14 months with the solicitors I've received compensation for the bike minus an insignificant amount for salvage value and am engineers report stating the cat B write off. However during those 14 months I'd had it MOTd and was riding it after my own damage was repaired.

Is it possible to return this bike to the road legally? As it seems to me a waste to sell it for scrap or parts. Please forgive my ignorance as I've only lived in the UK for a short while.

Thanks in advance.

"Cat B explained

Category B write-offs are also too dangerous to be put back on the road. The frame must be crushed but other parts may be salvaged." Safe to use parts such as the engine may be re-used.

If your insurance company has agreed to insure you now that the machine has been declared a Cat B write-off, then you should be good to go. You may need that it writing from the insurance company.

Adrian Flux is one broker that will deal with Cat B cars.

Scrapping the frame for a bent footrest is daft. I heard on Saturday that an almost new £20,000 car was written off because a wiring loom for the headlights was not available as a spare part.

Thanks for the response and advice beemerboy9,

I agree it's daft as the rear subframe could've simply be replaced, there's a used one to suit for £129 on ebay for instance.

I'm going to go ahead and sell it for scrap as it's too much hassle for me in my current situation and put the money towards a newer bike.

I had a cat B change to a C and was able to buy the salvage for peanuts.

The 3rd parties engineer classed it as cat B however I was not happy with some of his remarks so I asked my own insurance to step in, there engineer reclassed it as a C.

It was proper fooked and really was a B but I really think it's whom you get on the day to inspect.

I suppose the reasoning might be that if the frame has sustained sufficient impact to bend the footrest hanger, then the force may have weakened the frame elsewhere, maybe invisibly.

Ask yourself this question: if your daughter said her new boyfriend was taking her out for a ride on his bike, which was a Cat B write off but he reckons it's ok, would you be happily wave her off into the sunset? Would you get on a roller coaster that an engineer had defined as being dangerous but the owner said "It'll be ok, it's only an insignificant bit that's damaged."

Good response. We run accident repair centres (car, not bike) in London. £4.0m t/o providing jobs for about 50 people.

Categorised write offs are real hobby horse. It's obviously up to the OP, but for soooooo many, many, many reasons don't do it.
Chris.

Back
Top Bottom