Recommendations for aluminium panniers?

DCoplin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of putting some ally panniers on my GSPD - any recommendations?

I was thinking of Touratech but would be interested what others have already done on theirs?

Thanks!

Dave

I have a Hepco & Becker top box and it with the mounting plate it is over 8 kg , so it is about 5 kg overweight for the G/S rack, empty.

It isnt a large box so the panniers wont be much different in weight, so for a full set you are looking at over 50 lbs, empty!

Bought the box for $20-, secondhand on Ebay, so I didn't find out the weight until it arrived.

Your wallet will be considerably lighter, of course, but it probably wont offset all of the extra.

I have a budget priced Giant Loop style bag which fits over the rear seat and keeps the weight well forward and close in, and an Ortlieb roll bag for the light / long stuff, which goes behind that.

Less than $180 for both, they weigh less than a couple of kilos, and , bungeed on, are unmarked after a couple of , err , unplanned detours

If I need any more space I take the car.

Got a pair of black 31L , the 8” wide ones, Touratech ZEGA pro panniers FS on eBay at the moment if your interested

I've got some Hepco and Becker ones on my g/s Motobins are the reseller in the UK and have a dedicated website, via their website.

Mine are the Alu Exclusive which I've had for about 8 years. Mainly stay on my g/s but used them on my 1200 when I had it. Great panniers. Just a quick tip, I wished I'd bought the same size for both sides of the bike, rather than a smaller on for the exhaust side. If I was buying again, I'd buy two of the 40 litre ones, although, it depends what you want.

I'll second H&B they are good I have had mine 10 Years Alu-standards they have had a fair bit of use heavy rain etc never leaked I got them when I gone my 1200 ADV 2008 when BM supplied sieves for luggage.

Barny

Mine are Tesch. Google Bernd Tesch and his clumsy website will come up. Lids are folded on one edge to create a hinge, tough as old boots. They come with aluminium legs inside so you can make a table with the lids but it's not something ive ever used as only practical if you have same size pannier on each side. They use a cam lock on the top

Touratec

Pretty sure there are some TT frames on ebay at the moment

Attachments

• 50206384-CBD3-4FF8-BDDA-DE88FE6579E9_1_201_a.jpg
    50206384-CBD3-4FF8-BDDA-DE88FE6579E9_1_201_a.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 202
I have a pair of the Tesch panniers that came off an 1100 a mate of mine bought off Glynn. Going to use them on my paralever GS, just need to figure out how im going to attach them. Tesch frame for the 1100 will probably just go up for sale. After the nuclear holocaust there will be cockroaches, and tesch frames and panniers.

I have a pair of the Tesch panniers that came off an 1100 a mate of mine bought off Glynn. Going to use them on my paralever GS, just need to figure out how im going to attach them. Tesch frame for the 1100 will probably just go up for sale. After the nuclear holocaust there will be cockroaches, and tesch frames and panniers.

You can use those touratech pucks, just decide the brand of rack so you can line them up when drilling the fixing holes. I have mine set up for a touratech rack for the 100GS which means I have to swop racks over if I want to swop from the old BMW panniers. My previous R100GS had hepco becker juniors and the tesch set up for hepco becker rails so I just needed to swop the bags and leave rails alone. I wouldn't use the original airhead racks for the tesch as I think they'll fall apart.

Back
Top Bottom