Cannot unlock Satnav

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3nny

Reaction score
I have a nav 5, last time I used it I was in a ruch and not sure how but managed to snap it into the mount while it was still locked.

Now I cannot remove the satnav from the mount at all.

Any ideas?

It would help if we knew which type of mount are you using. Just a pic or link if possible.

I'm sure someone will come up with a solution - in the meantime, whatever you do, just bear in mind that mounts come way cheaper than Nav Vs.

It would help if we knew which type of mount are you using. Just a pic or link if possible.

Sorry, it's the standard mount that came on my 2015 GSA

Navigator-V.jpg

Is there a dealer near you who could sort it with minimal damage and cost?

I know that's probably a daft question but that's what I'd do...

Thanks - sorry I can't offer a solution personally but maybe a fellow sufferer will chime in & help. You just can't be the first, but it must have needed a forceful approach..

This vid shows how the mount is assembled as well as the action of the locking mechanism (3.48) .......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21KYeWbUgg.

You will see how the lock tongue turns & stops the release button from being activated - there must be an issue here somewhere. See what you think.

Whats securing the gps now if the slider lock is not inserted into the unit?

You have snapped it into its locking lugs, the two small ones at the top, and the larger one at the bottom, not sure why it will not unlock now, however, some pictures below, to show you what is behind the Satnav, if you cannot get it off in the meantime, I would get a massive elastic to hold it on, otherwise it could pop off at the first bump in the road.

Just been looking at mine. The top 2 grooves on the sat Nav click into a small spring loaded clip on top, the securing slide goes across the top of the spring loaded clip to secure it. Looking at the picture from the right hand side can you slide something small between sat Nav and housing top, unlock the secure bit and try and push it across from inside, if you get my drift?

Looking at the US vid & Smogbob's pics I really can't understand why the lock won't turn. Would a little WD/lube to tha lock tongue area help.

Not being funny here, but are you sure you are using the correct key. I have been there - My Super10 has a NavIV in a TT locking mount - I got in a tizz when I couldn't unlock it once, but then found I was using a near identical key, but not the correct one. The key blank looked identical, just the key cut was slightly different & the feel of the key entering the lock didn't feel quite right.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I realise I am not the best at explaining things so I have made a little video. It looks like the problem lies with the spring loaded lever on the right hand side of the unit. I will take it to a dealer if I can't fix it myself it's just a pain.

Yep looks like the spring loaded button on the right has failed, something possibly snapped inside, due to you forcing it into the 2 little lugs, might keep quiet about the forcing issue when at the dealers............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Apply a small amount of inward shock to the lever on the right it may free the catch up again

b3f84fde257c4fffd8f012637ae57e80.png

Andi has a point, but the lever you press in is pretty frail. Still, his pic is very useful here.

Seeing your vid, I reckon many of us may have been barking up the wrong tree. It seems it may be nothing to do with the locking mount mechanism whatsoever. You key appears to unlock that perfectly. Whether anything is then happening when you pull the LH unlock lever isn't clear though - this pulls the lock bar to the left (the vertical bar with 2 small mounting screws in Andi's pic, shown as parts on a earlier vid). You should be able to check this visually, with a light/mirror if necessary. You see, when you forced the unit into the mount, something had to give to allow the release mechanism to permit it's two lock tongues to rise en-block. No point in me second guessing what might have happened until we know whether the lock bar is moving correctly. You may even be able to move it manually, from the rear.

If the lock bar is pulling back correctly then my suspicion is that the release lever, which lifts the two locking tongues that you can see in Andi's pic above (just above the words BMW Motorrad) must have somehow broken internally within the sealed plastic structure. These 2 tongues cannot lift the block unless the unlock bar has moved left, sliding in those 2 slots.

Anyway, please report back about the lock bar situation first. Please make sure we now define clearly between the locking mount mechanism & the SatNav release

Good luck.

Just a thought, try pushing the top of the satnav into the holder, (squeeze into holder), this may release the load on the top bars, allowing them to retract.

Just a thought, try pushing the top of the satnav into the holder, (squeeze into holder), this may release the load on the top bars, allowing them to retract.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. By forcing the Nav into place you may have rolled over the pointy edge of the locking lugs.
If it works, it may be worth a very light fettling of them with a needle file.

I am one of those people who hate it when you google a problem and there is no solution so I thought I would share how I fixed this and managed to remove the satnav after a year of it being stuck in place.

I allocated Sunday to tear down the whole front end of the bike to remove the satnav bracket but my wife suggested I just try a bit of lubricant and giving it a bit more force (the satnav that is). So 3in1 oil was squirted in the mechanism and a firm hit to the release lever with a hammer and out it came! 2 minute fix in the end. Good job the wife is cleverer than me (and you lot :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom