Bridgestone Battlax A41 update...400 miles in

Mr Bean, had same front wore out before rear after 6000 miles, changed for PR5 adventure and don’t feel as nice. Turn in slower and just seem harder to get over to the edge of tyre. At £70 a set more unless they improve or last longer than A41 think I will be heading back in that direction :bow

That's due to the steep profile , the A41 is a flat profile , surprise you find them slow to steer the A41 is slow .

That probably explains why it's the only tyre I've managed to get rid of the 'strips'...

To be hones a flatter profile has more contact patch , so you have still been well over if you have taken the front to the edge . :thumb2:thumb2
The PR5 is harder to get to the edge as the side are deep

Why do people want to get the edge of their tyres? The margin for error at that point is so slim.

Depends how you get there and what profile you use , its always best to leave a bit just in case , unless your on the track of course so you can slide off without too much worry once you have found the tipping point.
The idea is to feel confident enough to lean as far as you can go with the addition of body position on the bike as to balance the 2 extremes , lean angle and position.
Its not a margin that you should be worried about as long as you are confident enough to get there and see what its like and learn from the way the bike feels , performs etc and hone your riding skills from there.
Fine if you don't feel you can I would agree that the margin is narrow for some that do not visit that area much and feel more confident at less lean.
As said above , tyres have so many different profiles and patterns that the edge can arrive faster on a A41 to the PR5 or the TA3 . I found that the Ra3 seemed to edge to edge as soon as left the house and left no margins to play with , that why I got rid of the after 500 miles , rambling a bit now but you get the general idea.:thumb2

It still makes me smile at cafes , big leather clad sportsbike riders with chicken strips at 1" from the edge and looking like a GP rider ffs. and giving it the big un looking down on us GS riders ...:green gri

Just wondered how things were going with the A41’s Morety, any news on the wet weather performance.

i was put off A41,s by the reviews on here but I changed the bike back in April and the only choice I could have were Anakee or A41 so I opted for A41 - dreading the experience.... Then to my surprise i have been impressed with the A41's they have been great - no moments at all so far - i have done about 4000 miles on them and they look relatively good condition - not squaring at all and good grip in wet and dry.

Maybe its a riding style thing? I just dont see an issue but each to their own.
Rik

Just wondered how things were going with the A41’s Morety, any news on the wet weather performance.

I can’t speak for the OP but I found the A41’s absolutely fine in the dry, zero issues. Nothing remarkable but fine. In the wet in my 17 years of riding I’ve never had a set of tyres that felt so dangerous. Maybe I had a bad set but my views are echoed by plenty that they are awful in the wet. Some disagree so no idea why this is but tyres are a personal thing.

I’ve had a variety of tyres and some have felt better in the wet than others but my A41”s felt genuinely lethal to ride on in the wet.

The A41's are a brilliant tyre. I use them on my 1200GS hex head, two up with luggage. You can get your pegs down in the rain with your pillion punching you in the back.

PR4's and Pr5s are also brilliant. They don't last as long though.

Roadtechs are also excellent.

What you have to do is ignore the absolute bullshit people talk when they say any of these tyres are "Shit". People who say any modern tyres are bad usually ride their bikes up and down the motorway six times a year and have squared off tyres. And then they wonder why the first corner they've seen in 200 miles feels "weird". That's even if they have any air in their rims. Which they often don't.

You can't buy a shit tyre. Tyres even twenty years ago any tyre was far more capable than the people sitting on top of them.

Poor tyre choice is the number one excuse for people who don't ride enough and want something else to blame for their lack of experience.

A bike sitting in your garage for 10 years that you ride twice a year doesn't mean you've been riding for ten years either.

Get out on the bike you have with the tyres you have and ride some proper roads in all weathers and you'll soon realise that even twenty year old 'Shanghai Skid-masters' will still let you get your pegs down in the snow if you ride enough.

Rant over

Ted (The guy who spends all day changing almost nearly new tyres for people who don't know how to ride) ;)

I have these currently and can't wait to change them. I ride my bike every day and these tyres don't fill me with confidence. I have had a fair few wriggles in places where I wouldn't expect to and the tyres are on my mind more than they should be.

My previous GS had Roadtec 01's on it and these felt so much better. More sporty I guess and certainly preferable for me as all of my riding is either pottering around town or more pointedly, brisk progress through the Peak District and further afield. Interesting too that I could jump off my old 1250 with the half worn Roadtec's and jump on to the new bike with the A41's and feel immediately uneasy after they were scrubbed in.

My overall view is that tyres are a personal thing and how you ride affects the suitability of some and not others - the Metzelers suited me, the Bridgestones do not. Am doing a Scotland tour this month and once I am back, the A41's will have done over 2500 miles so I think I will change them. I am keen to try Conti Trail Attacks next although can really recommend the Roadtec tyres very highly - excellent performance.

I have these currently and can't wait to change them. I ride my bike every day and these tyres don't fill me with confidence. I have had a fair few wriggles in places where I wouldn't expect to and the tyres are on my mind more than they should be.

My previous GS had Roadtec 01's on it and these felt so much better. More sporty I guess and certainly preferable for me as all of my riding is either pottering around town or more pointedly, brisk progress through the Peak District and further afield. Interesting too that I could jump off my old 1250 with the half worn Roadtec's and jump on to the new bike with the A41's and feel immediately uneasy after they were scrubbed in.

My overall view is that tyres are a personal thing and how you ride affects the suitability of some and not others - the Metzelers suited me, the Bridgestones do not. Am doing a Scotland tour this month and once I am back, the A41's will have done over 2500 miles so I think I will change them. I am keen to try Conti Trail Attacks next although can really recommend the Roadtec tyres very highly - excellent performance.

Why not change now and enjoy 5000 kms with confidence, you only live one time.

I agree there is no bad tyre but they can feel slightly different, i came across scorpion trail 2 and love them.
Never had a bad tyre, had PR4 and they did wear quick but very competent.

Excuse me for hijacking a thread but my GS came with Tourance Next tyres.

The shop I bought it from fitted a new rear to match the pretty good front.

I’ve nothing to compare it with, this being my first GS but with the mileage I do these tyres could last years.

Are they a decent tyre? I don’t want to ride on a tyre that limits the handling but equally I don’t want to replace good tyres.

I’ve nothing to compare it with, this being my first GS but with the mileage I do these tyres could last years.

Are they a decent tyre? I don’t want to ride on a tyre that limits the handling but equally I don’t want to replace good tyres.

Tourance Next are my second favourite tyre on the GS. Continental TA3 being the best. I find both predicable, sure-footed and give good mileage

They sell thousands of these. The tyre is far better that your ability and if they let you down it wont tyre related.:D

Tyres

I’m on my third set and have no issue with grip in the dry. Edged the front & rear without any drama’s. That said, they’re done by 4,000 - 4,500; the front let’s go first, but at least it lets you know gradually. I will try the Pilot 5’s next. :thumb

Attachments

• 812F3FB9-C3DC-47E7-83B2-0A8B57E60101.jpg
    812F3FB9-C3DC-47E7-83B2-0A8B57E60101.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 487
My Bridgestone A41 front is due for replacement after 5100 mls, last ride out was a particularly wet one and it felt absolutely horrible. Going to go for Continental Trail Attack 3 on the recommendation of our resident tyre tester 'Stick'. The rear A41 looks like it has lots of life left in it though and I wondered if anyone had replaced a front for a CTA 3 and still left a not very worn Bridgestone A41 on the rear ? I wasn't too impressed with the feel, mileage attained (compared to rear) and amount of noise from the A41 either, I certainly hope the CTA 3 replacement doesn't make as much racket that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

My Bridgestone A41 front is due for replacement after 5100 mls, last ride out was a particularly wet one and it felt absolutely horrible. Going to go for Continental Trail Attack 3 on the recommendation of our resident tyre tester 'Stick'. The rear A41 looks like it has lots of life left in it though and I wondered if anyone had replaced a front for a CTA 3 and still left a not very worn Bridgestone A41 on the rear ? I wasn't too impressed with the feel, mileage attained (compared to rear) and amount of noise from the A41 either, I certainly hope the CTA 3 replacement doesn't make as much racket that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

CTA3 for me .... Does not get any better. (that as the 30 + degree day out , but similar in Spain) PS I would never use an unmatched pair of tyres. The CTA3 does have a steep profile to the A41 both front and rear as this makes the set a great turning tyre.

Attachments

• da427326-9da5-415a-86cd-f742e4f82ac9.jpg
    da427326-9da5-415a-86cd-f742e4f82ac9.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 467

Back
Top Bottom