Bridgestone Battlax A41 update...400 miles in

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Switched from PR4s last month to Bridgestone A41s on the recommendation of a fellow local GS rider, after initially considering Roadtec01s. What swung it for me were the mix of positive reviews for this relatively new on the scene tyre, plus the fitted cost which was considerably cheaper than the competition.

Initial thoughts were positive with much improved handling over the old and squared off PR4s (although new, they were fine). One thing that hit confidence a bit was that these took a lot longer to scrub in than any previous tyre I've had, and much more than the 120-odd miles I'd reckoned on. It was not until I had 300 miles on them that confidence started to grow to the extent that feedback became more positive, even at the front. Pushing things a bit in the first few hundred miles resulted in the odd butt-clenching moment that the back kicks out under throttle or I felt the front had started washing out a bit, but road conditions for that whole period were wet and greasy (mainly).

Roll on another few hundred miles and things just keep improving. Grip is confidence inspiring now, road noise not too bad at all, and stability at any speed is great. Under braking, they provide loads of grip without moving about under you. A brief examination of my tyres the other day revealed that confidence must be growing as some of the writing at the very edge of the grip on the rear tyre (unusually, there is a small area of imprinted writing near the edge) had been worn into quite a bit with the tyre scrubbed to the very edge...no chicken strips left on the back and only a small area at the front. The lean angles possible are impressive.

One aspect that isn't so great is the off road performance. These are sold as a "10% off road, 90% road" tyre for big adventure bikes. On the few miles of off road I tried them on over a mix of gravel trails and deep rutted tracks, they didn't provide much confidence, especially in the damp. Gravel surfaces and reasonably smooth trails were ok but I felt that the grip I had from my Anakee II's (fitted to an Explorer) was better off road on the same surfaces. Rutted tracks proved a handful, with lots of rider input needed to keep the bike upright and slides were frequent, back and front. It was damp the few days I tried this though.

That said, if your riding takes in nothing more than the odd gravel track or mild green lane, you'll be fine, just as you would with stonier off road conditions but if you do a lot of off road trails, something more dedicated to those conditions would be the way to go.

All in all, I'm really happy with these tyres. Mileage will be determined in due course as will wear pattern. The stand outs for me are the very consistent edge to edge grip and smooth handling characteristics on road, with great behaviour at extreme lean angles and under braking. The transition from centre to edge is very smooth making for effortless lean-in and steerage with lots of feedback. Puncture resistance should be good on these by all accounts too. The only issue I've had was more bike related when at about 400 miles in, my TPMS warning triangle came up indicating a rear loss of pressure. It twas a sensor fault rather than a tyre issue, as re-starting the bike, the warning disappeared. I'll have to re-set that at some point.

the A41 bridgestone is a rubbish tyre imo. couldnt wait to get them off my bike and get some roadtechs on

We are all individuals and like different things I like A41s same as when they were new the 010 we all ride differently

I don’t go off road, except Tesco’s car parks, and I have Roadtech 01’s. absolutely brilliant tyre, nothing more to say.

I've had dozens of bikes over the years and covered more miles than I care to remember. The A41s are far from being a "rubbish" tyre. They hold a stable line, and handle very well and do inspire complete confidence. That's not the measure of "a rubbish tyre" in my language at least but I don't know what it is that one or two others didn't like. Feedback, generally speaking has been overwhelmingly positive for these but I get it that tyres can be a very personal thing.

I'm just a bit dubious over their wet weather claims (8 seconds a lap faster than their previous best efforts, whatever that means?) but to be fair, mine were not scrubbed in when ridden in the wet. They did seem to take longer to bed in, but that may simply be down to my riding style and the fact I wasn't ragging them until I was sure they'd keep me upright when it mattered. I don't know how sensitive they are to tyre pressures but at 37psi front and 42 psi rear, they provide grin inducing confidence in the twisty bits and under heavy braking. BMW fit them to many of their new GS bikes and whilst cost has something to do with that, I don't hear many (actually, I haven't heard any) complaints from those riding new bikes shod with these. It's early days yet and I'll be very objective in my feedback once I have more miles on them. I'll do a follow up at 1K miles then again at about 4K miles to comment on wear and wear profile with mixed riding.

I must be the only person who likes my Michelin A 3's, plenty of grip, don't notice excessive noise, last longer than the PR4's I had, and I'm not fixing a puncture every 20 mins (like my PR4's)

I don’t go off road, except Tesco’s car parks, and I have Roadtech 01’s. absolutely brilliant tyre, nothing more to say.

This thread was for feedback on the A41, not the Roadtecs which I know are good...if pricey now. If the A41's measure up anywhere as near as good as the Roadtecs over time, they'll be onto a winner at almost £60 per pair less. Time will tell.

I must be the only person who likes my Michelin A 3's, plenty of grip, don't notice excessive noise, last longer than the PR4's I had, and I'm not fixing a puncture every 20 mins (like my PR4's)

Yep...I didn't get on with PR4s after they'd had a few thousand miles on them. I have heard that they have a rep for puncturing easily but thankfully didn't suffer that.

Nah mine are fine also, get the odd weird moment, but that might just be my riding skills, or lack of.........:D

+1

I don't understand what the fuss is about with these tyres either. I get on with them great.

It's because they're shit.

I wouldn't agree, they are capable of handling far more than an average tosser can throw their way, I've even stuck a set on my Turban. They've never given me any cause for concern, whether it be nipping to Sainsbury's (no local Waitrose), blatting around the alps or a light meander off road.

All very subjective of course, but unless it's a Cheng Shin Ditchfinder plus, it's rare to find a "bad" tyre these days.

Again...the thread was feedback on Bridgestone A41's for the vision impaired (clue's in the title LoL), not "give us your feedback on any tyre you like" :rob

Perhaps start another thread to discuss the relative merits of Roadtecs, A3.s, PR4's etc?

We are all individuals and like different things I like A41s same as when they were new the 010 we all ride differently

The A41's have moved the goalposts a bit over the older 010's I think. Good tyre though.

Again...the thread was feedback on Bridgestone A41's for the vision impaired (clue's in the title LoL), not "give us your feedback on any tyre you like" :rob

Perhaps start another thread to discuss the relative merits of Roadtecs, A3.s, PR4's etc?

but your not really interested unless the opinions agree with you though are you?,when I changed my a41 for roadtechs the guy without prompting said "bet your glad to get rid of those " imo they are a poor tyre in anything but perfectly dry warm conditions but of course I must defer to your riding many thousands of miles on all makes of tyre eh

"The A41s are a vast improvement on the A3s noise wise but i recently changed to my tyre of choice which is the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2. Virtually no road noise and bike handles well

Back
Top Bottom