The Greatest Escape Redux- This Time Its Personal

Turns out that the Fiat place is in Torino not Tirano.

This I discover after bumbling about and doing my best,

"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

line.

Best find digs and crash out then.

Again I get lucky a d end up in a whole apartment with kitchen lounge etc etc for 19 quid.

God bless cuffing it and booking late.

Coffee and bed........ Am Arlburg becons tomorrow.......

You gotta love secure parking and being watched over by LAPDs finest detective........errr just one more thing.....

caa14c093685c47a74a726e76be4cfc3.jpg
6f5e38f0fea88a886369b52b13c4b857.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Day 7

General plan is to head towards St Anton and see how it goes.

I re do 2 passes S to N again passing St Moritz.

Weather again is mega.

Pitstop in Chur and find a great kerbside cafe full of posh totty. It stinks of money so I grab a coffee and have a pikey lunch courtesy of hotel breakfast 2 days ago.

As tight as prom night punani:)

Onwards and I decide to go north through lech and Zurs. Pop out there and then think about digs for the night.

The pass is fab. Snow stacked high on each side, I could almost reach out and touch the skiers on my left. A piste I've skied many times.

Lech and Zurs still stink of money, not my bag or my people if I'm honest.

A cop waves me down and let's me know the road just north of Zurs is closed so I 180 and head for St Anton again. 20 miles detour but v nice too.

On way back down the valley the Air Anbulance lands on its pad right next to the road as I'm passing it, what are the chances.

I make a note that hes out of balance and used at least 60 deg of bank on his approach, I will be writing a strongly worded letter to his boss :)

Pit stop St Anton for coffee and digs search.

Chap on old guzzi fuels up next to me, he let's me know that there's a blockage on the road going east towards Innsbruck.

In the cafe I book a place just West of Innsbruck so 60 miles from here......I'm sure I'll be able to blag a route there somehow......

Sure enough and without warning after about 30 miles a barrier appears. Sad as it's a great fast 60mph sweeping bend type road.

There are no instructions, just a barrier.

A local advises me it's due to rock fall and to back up 5 miles, jump on the motorway 1 junction for free and then get back on this road.

I do that and get a nice "warm bath" feeling sitting in the tunnel on the motorway.

Back on A road and arrive at accommodation.

Am met with big smile and advised that the hot tub closes in 60 mins.

Upstairs, slip on my best shorts and leg it to the hot tub.....

After a few long days this is total bliss.

And at 24 quid a night with breakfast it's a result. Cashback !

2955a76bf12865bd1769ef20f2d2521c.jpg
f903100c76acded4e9b6aea29a869a0a.jpg

There are a few locals and some Scandi types in too. Relaxing after a days skiing.

After about a 45 min slump in the tub I reach Birkenstock and floppy knob critical mass and have a flashback to that scene in Day Of The Jackal, decide it's time to go.

I, with a great shameful look on my face, drag my pasty white bits out, whilst being careful not to violate anyomes personal space with any danglies, hop in shower and leg it.

Bit of food and then make a rare decision.

It's so nice that I book another night on line and decide to have a day off the bike ! Unheard of.......
e223452d38858a9e40985fd6569d9ab6.jpg
4e5e5b10c05492b2e4f993391d13fe29.jpg

Fabulous write-up and quickly forgetting the main thrust of the story is about Harry Coates - a very brave, young man - RIP Harry Coates.

Indeed, hes never been far from my thoughts on the whole trip.

He was a ww2 Spit pilot so I'm sure he'd approve of caning around Europe:)

Day 8

I awake to yet more sunshine, roll over and have another doss.

Breakfast finishes at 0930 so I get up at 0928 and wander in at 0929 to.......an empty dining area.

Clocks have changed and I've monged it.

Owner is great and fetches me some cornflakes and coffee.

I mention that it's so nice that I've booked again for tonight.

I get a slightly quizzical look and "I am very zorry zir but we are geschlossen today as its Sunday."

He bimbles off to check and God bless hotels .com I am indeed booked in.

He gives me the key to the front door and says, "ve vill see you tomorrow a breakfast ya. Please help yourself to beer and the hot tub but make sure you lock up please"

I cant see that happening in UK.

Day is spent reading and drinking coffee in cafe at crazy golf place.

It's beautiful again and I'm secretly enjoying a day off the bike.

The kids are well behaved.

No screaming chav mums "oi Kylie, get you're arse over here" , (lights up fag and scratches fat arse), like it would be in UK. I fucking hate what the UK has become. Were the chav champions of Europe, and fuck me let's face it, theres some stiff competition about......

I have a solo hot tub, pour myself a beer and marvel at how wierd it is being in a hotel literally on ones own.

Quick look at map.........the long run north starts tomorrow.....

There are 606 miles to Rottrdam,

Got a full tank of gas,

Half a pack of Bel Vitas,

It's dark and I'm wearing Birkemstocks.....

Hit It !

Robin, I'd P.M. you with the info, but you're too fekkin tight to receive one. Therefore, "I'm out" .
Sorry, owd dook ;):D

I'm not "too tight" at all. I am a fabulously wealthy man. However, reading all the shite on the Beakchat and Bollox was making me a stroppy fabulously wealthy man! :D

S92GS's true identity will have to remain a mystery to me for the time being. I'm guessing a covert superhero of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom