The Greatest Escape Redux- This Time Its Personal

THE amazing untold story of a Spitfire hero killed just weeks before World War Two ended has been revealed after his body was found in Italy 74 years later.
Warrant Officer John Henry Coates of 111 Squadron went missing in action when he crashed on the outskirts of Venice in March 1945.

His family died not knowing where he was or how he died as a 24-year-old young man.
But more than seven decades later, his heroic story has been told and he is due to have a full military funeral.

It has now be revealed that WO Coates, known as Harry, had been taking part in the dawn bombing of barges moored on a canal.
His plane was targeted and exploded on impact with the ground as it came down.
The young man's name was engraved on the Malta War Memorial, a 49ft column commemorating the 2,298 Commonwealth aircrew who lost their lives around the Mediterranean and who have no known grave.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

But in October 2017 his remains were discovered by members of the Romagna Air Finders, an organisation which recovers WWII aircraft.

An appeal to find his descendants was launched and after one of his relatives spotted a story in a local newspaper his family finally learnt of his resting place.
WO Coates' 65-year-old niece Helen Watts, whose mother Molly Dearlove was the hero's younger sister, said: "Myself and my siblings grew up knowing that our uncle had gone missing towards the end of WWII.

"It is absolutely amazing that he has been found all these years later.
This is the kind of thing that only ever happens to someone else.
"We had always thought his plane had gone down close to Lake Como, so it was a surprise he was discovered elsewhere.
"Sadly none of his siblings, including my mother, lived to see the day. They would have been thrilled by the news.
"My mother didn't even realise his name was on the Malta War Memorial.
"The whole family is delighted that he will now be given a hero's burial. We are expecting the funeral to be a very moving and special ceremony."
WO Coates, who had no children but three brothers and three sisters, will be laid to rest at Padua War Cemetery on Wednesday March 27.

It's not nice but I'm on the way.....
a63be64b56bf7e00caa8691ce90964d1.jpg
c61610ac1596f81097ca5e9604372d5a.jpg

Sounds interesting, mate.....I'm in and have a good trip! :popcorn

Hellish misty in Scharzwald, thank God for my vest. Recon it saved me getting shunted.......

453ed4aad57510141d22fb9c5ea365d3.jpg

No that's great, I was going to link something anyway once I get my act together........I'll shall step back a few days..... .

Day 1

Just honking it down to Dover and then onwards through Europe on a SE heading. No more plan than that apart from be near Venice by 1100 on Day 4.

Ferry to Dunkirk was on a deal of 21quid so result there.

Hacked through Brugge etc and ended up in Charlesville Mezziere in a good old Hotel F1 whose main attractions are that they are cheap and that the rooms have hot and cold running urinals.

Have brew with a couple of Lithuanian blokes who basically live there for 2 months whilst sourcing cars to take home and sell on. They look like trouble but are v friendly and block my bike in for security, note to self, dont pre judge someone based upon their appearance. (Apart from "blimey I'd gone her" type judgements obviously.

Head down time, black forest tomorrow.......

Pre Ferry checks.....

1. Is my repair bung holding on rear tyre.

2. Have I got enough Bel Vita bars to get through

a8de2dbbee0208209e1fa082eac5af7f.jpg
88d4f1f72577e40350bb865ee91e5d86.jpg

Ferry delayed so coffee time.

I miss call and end up getting last, result as its quiet and I'm able to get off first at other end.

Hotel F1, I think the word in basic, but for just getting your head down they are perfect. However rinse sink thoroughly before use as will likely be contaminated with dried Eastern Bloc piss......

6615bfcaf81306cdcc0797385518bdea.jpg
a775ad12201cea63aef61cf65eab1448.jpg

...I'm in. Glad to see you have stocked up on Belvita's best bribes :) Have a great trip.

...I'm in. Glad to see you have stocked up on Belvita's best bribes :) Have a great trip.

Hitherto I'd no idea that Bel Vita's were so desirable to the residents of lands containing Sho-ka-kola, and 'coffee-in-pocket', amongst others.
Is it solely the Blueberry flavour that carries the Jedi Force?

I've previously carried UK Bike stickers and badges etc for just such 'beneficial inter-actions'
I once encountered a young lady at the Swedish GP that Amazingly struggled to comprehend the word 'SWAP?'
when proffered a couple of JPS stickers in exchange for a Swedish GP one.
(perhaps she misunderstood the nature of the trade i proposed)
((I'm not a big fan of Swedes, The lovely Agnetha Faltskog excepted))

Luvvin the reports S92, I waive an antique Form 1250 at you in salute! :thumb2

Hitherto I'd no idea that Bel Vita's were so desirable to the residents of lands containing Sho-ka-kola, and 'coffee-in-pocket', amongst others.
Is it solely the Blueberry flavour that carries the Jedi Force?

I've previously carried UK Bike stickers and badges etc for just such 'beneficial inter-actions'
I once encountered a young lady at the Swedish GP that Amazingly struggled to comprehend the word 'SWAP?'
when proffered a couple of JPS stickers in exchange for a Swedish GP one.
(perhaps she misunderstood the nature of the trade i proposed)
((I'm not a big fan of Swedes, The lovely Agnetha Faltskog excepted))

Luvvin the reports S92, I waive an antique Form 1250 at you in salute! :thumb2

That would make sense, I think "Swap" means "arse" in Swedish.

Apparently Belvita will be adopted as the standard currency when the Euro fails.

Day 2

Need to put some miles in today but again. My pathalogical hatred of motorways and stubborn streak will cost time.

My Lithuanian security has worked and bike all cool. Quick shower, teeth, having thoroughly de pissed and de smegmad the sink, and were off. Ballpark target Germany somewhere just east of Straasbourg.

Roads and weather are great and good progress made. On approaching Strasbourg I pop into a McShits cafe and go online to sort out a bed.

Find somewhere in the Schwarzwald, (which translates as "City of Angels") and book that. 23 quid, ding song.

As I walk out and look up onto the NS running ridge to the E of Strasbourg it looks a bit dark but I'm sure it'll be fine.......

As I climb up into the hills I'm occasionally zooming out on the nav to see where the general direction is... ....its generally towards the dark bit......pisser.

I'm later to find out that Schwarzwald does not infact translate as "City of Angels" but something far more appropriate......

Never trust someone with only 1 star on their McDonald's credentials badge.

Temp drops from about plus 12 to minus 2 and I'm freezing my glands off despite wearing decent kit. I'm blaming the rapid variation.

20 miles to go and I enter the black abyss. (Not for first time but youd have to visit,

www.ebonyhottieslovehandsomeGSAriders.com

to read about that tale......

Pull over to defrost visor and alarmed to see ice all over badlands jacket, dropping the bike I can live with but dont mess with the Klim.

Huge snow storm with beautiful large flakes makes for challenging ride but satisfying none the less.

Brief pitstop to defrost and take

"I'm on a proper adventure not some over supported Euan and Chatley cake and arse party"

pictures.

Looking forward to hot shower and apfelstrudell......

0b829b0615a9a32ba848d27964266b50.jpg
dc0e0dd91c6321b45f31e42dca712003.jpg
e62a8b8e81242124e34cac7f3dfef74a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom