Must do roads, and must see places in NI

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am staying in Garvagh for three months soon whilst working at Portrush. I am trailering my CRF250L over and hopefully will find time for a bit of signtseeing. I know about the NW200 and the North Coast stuff.

The very obvious first suggestion is the Antrim coast road which is best ridden mid-week when it is much quieter.

The Glenelly Valley Road (B47) between Draperstown and Plumbridge runs through the Sperrin mountains and there are lots of little roads off it to explore. A very scenic route and largely overlooked which will suit you just fine.

For example, starting in Garvagh go to Draperstown, Plumbridge, Gortin, Omagh, Cookstown, Portglenone and back to Garvagh via Kilrea. 110 miles and a nice wee appetiser.

An hour from Garvagh will have you through Derry and out onto the Inishowen Peninsula in Co Donegal. Head for Buncrana, Malin Head, Culdaff and Moville following the "Inishowen 100" tourist route which is clearly signposted.

B&Bs are plentiful here so head out into west Donegal on a Saturday morning and home Sunday evening with a grin a mile wide on your face. This wee place looks like it would do the job.

Take in the Rosguill peninsula and that part of the WAW on to Creeshlough and in to Glenveagh National Park, Poison Glen and Bloody Foreland, an absolute must if you are coming to Donegal. Good trails about as well if you fancy going off road. Can put you in touch with a local guy who does guided tours but also happy to tell you where to find the best trails etc.

You can head down through Belfast to either Bangor or Newtownards and ride around the Ards Peninsular or ride down the Strangford Lough side, get the ferry from Portaferry to Strangford, make your way down to Newcastle and then head up through the Mourne Mountains. If you decide to come down that end, give me a shout. :thumb2

Omagh to coleraine via gortin glen in the sperrins

Ballymoney out to torr head via armoy

Armagh tandragee road

Glengesh Pass, Donegal...

Glengesh.jpg

Spelga Dam, Down...

Spelga.jpg

Back
Top Bottom