New Goldwing

Davel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So after shuddering at the thought of becoming a pipe and slippers Goldwing rider (I even hated the looks of the huge things), I was bored at work and thought I'd go and try a couple of Harleys or maybe even a K1600B.

None were available today, so I drifted over to Bill Smiths Honda to look at the new Goldwing Bagger.

The only Goldwing available was the big one armed with DCT.

Anyway they allowed me out for a decent test ride and so, rather terrified of dropping the bloody thing, I slowly pulled off the forecourt.

The size disappears as you set off although I didn't like the DCT from the off as it was a little juddery leaving the dealer, but that could just have been down to me being rather wary of the DCT.

Anyway this thing is so comfortable and I soon settled in to the ride although it did feel rather cumbersome on the twisties and you needed a co-pilot to fathom out all the controls on the bars.

I dare say that some folk are happy to throw these thing around - but not me today anyway.

Overall, I was impressed and am quite tempted by the Bagger version.

I can't get comfortable leg wise on the K1600B but this bike was much better.

I was glad to be back on the GSA for my final ride before it goes to the new owner in Portugal, as it is far more flickable in my mind.

But would I buy one - quite possibly in bagger style - manual of course. I just prefer to be able to change gear when I want without fannying about with the oh so many buttons and switches.

Has anybody else tried one?

What did you think?

I rode a manual from Blade in Abingdon .
Quite liked it, amazing handling .
Wanted to try the DCT but wasn’t available.
Not for me as just a bit too big but the new front end is bloody good .
Panniers are a bit small , certainly compared to the previous model .
And it’s too bloody expensive!

It's an itch I have to scratch at some point in my life but I suspect by renting one in the States rather than buying one - same as I did with an Electra Glide in SF. And that was definitely better rented as I could give it back.

I had an 08 plate 1800 Gold Wing for a couple of years.

Good bits:-
They handle much better than you'd think. Footpegs touch down easily
Supremely comfortable seat.
Reverse gear for easy manoeuvring.
Effortless touring.
Handy cubbyholes for phone, wallet, toll tickets etc.

Bad bits:-
Lack of leg room.
Fixed panniers. Can't be used a suitcases.
Odd shaped panniers. Quite difficult to pack. Liners leave lots of gaps or can't be removed easily.
A bit too single purpose to be an only bike.

New ones have smaller panniers and no cubbyholes.

I wouldn't have another one, but I've scratched that itch.

Oh well, took the plunge and Bagger ordered today...

And i have a new front tyre for one in my garage if anyone needs one, cost £175 which is the dearest front i have come across so far :eek:

One sleep and pick her up from Bill Smiths Honda tomorrow.

Getting rather excited.......

:bounce1

It's been years since I had something other than a BMW as a main bike...

One sleep and pick her up from Bill Smiths Honda tomorrow.

Getting rather excited.......

:bounce1

It's been years since I had something other than a BMW as a main bike...

Congratulations, no sleep for you tonight and strangely no issue getting up early either :)

No I didn't go for the DCT - not even sure it's available on the bagger.

To be honest I didn't really gel with it on the test ride of the bigger version - but that may well be that I didn't give it long enough.

Could be a sleepless night tonight...

Well wear and good luck with it. Only the other week at a rally I had a lad banging on to me about the virtues and flickability of a Goldwing!

Back
Top Bottom