Ethernet switches

Deleted account 200502001

Reaction score
Looking to buy some 5 or 8 port switches to put around the house - lounge, sons bedroom, office etc

Are there any particular features to look for, such as gigabit etc?

I routed Cat 5 cable around the house a couple of years ago into most rooms, with ethernet sockets on the walls. I now want some switches to cable to various devices in each room.

This one any good?

TP-Link TL-SG1008D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL...ix=TP-Link+5,computers,137&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

l_10137897_004.jpg

I second the Netgear stuff. TP Link is fine but bottom of the pile. Netgear has been reliable in our house for years and mine allowed me to set schedules so I could control when the kids devices were no longer able to connect to the web...until thy got their mobiles and started hotspotting of their 4G the little shites :)

Thanks, think I'll go with 8 port seeing as one of the ports is used as the input port.

I second the Netgear stuff. TP Link is fine but bottom of the pile. Netgear has been reliable in our house for years and mine allowed me to set schedules so I could control when the kids devices were no longer able to connect to the web...until thy got their mobiles and started hotspotting of their 4G the little shites :)

Is that what managed switches are?

Which would be the right way to go (all cables already in place under floorboards etc)...

BT Smart Hub in living room to a switch placed next to it, serving TV, PS4 etc.

then

Ethernet cable from the switch running upstairs to an 8 port switch in sons bedroom.

Or

Should the ethernet cable going upstairs come straight from the BT Hub?

Thanks, think I'll go with 8 port seeing as one of the ports is used as the input port.

Is that what managed switches are?

No managed switches go a step further and have more to do with managing individual ports etc. That's what we recommend for larger IP-CCTV systems etc. My Netgear Router simply had that as a 'parental control' feature in the software. Very helpful with kids at a younger age.

The ideal is to connect your switch (port 1 for example) directly to the router then connect everything else to the other switch ports so your network is configured like a star

If you have a second switch upstairs try to connect the uplink cable to another port on your router so you effectively have 2 separate network segments rather than daisy chaining switches

If you want a managed switch these are ridiculously cheap but still excellent
https://www.amazon.fr/HPE-1920s-24-...53809537&refinements=p_89:HP&s=gateway&sr=8-1
You can set up vlans etc. But you really don’t need this level of complexity for home use

The ideal is to connect your switch (port 1 for example) directly to the router then connect everything else to the other switch ports so your network is configured like a star

Configured like a star from the main switch in the living room? - router to living room switch, then from that switch to all the other switches?
Or configured like a star from the router?

Configured like a star from the main switch in the living room? - router to living room switch, then from that switch to all the other switches?
Or configured like a star from the router?

One cable from the BT hub to a switch in the lounge

Second cable from the BT hub to a switch in the bedroom

Don’t daisy chain the switches

One cable from the BT hub to a switch in the lounge

Second cable from the BT hub to a switch in the bedroom

Don’t daisy chain the switches

Okay dokey, thanks.

Think Ive got 4 ports on the back of the BT Smart Hub so that should be enough.
I'll probably go with 8 port switches in each room.

Arrived today, along withe some Cat 8 cable. Set it up in my lads bedroom direct from the upstairs BT Smart Hub. I'll probably attach it to the underneath of his desk so its out of the way.

I'll be getting an 8 port version for the living room

81KYqkodAtL._SL1500_.jpg

Daisychaining switches is fine, as long as you are careful to wire them like a tree, with your hub as the root, and th first switch nearby with just a single cable to it. One cable out to each room that has devices in it, and a switch there for the local devices will be fine in a house. Don’t run multiple cables between switches or make a loop or you’ll get a shitstorm on the unmanaged/ ones.

All you are building is a single layer-2 subnet, so no need for anything more than netgear metal cased types.

I’ve got 4, one where the router is, one in study, one upstairs, and one for all the tv boxes. All eight port gigabit over cat5e. Works fine.

On my Netgear GS105, does it matter which port I use an the input from my BT Hub, and does it matter which port I use as 'out' to my PC? Im currently using port 5 as input, I'm I'm of the opinion is doesn't matter which port is used as input, and any of the others can be used as output?

On my Netgear GS105, does it matter which port I use an the input from my BT Hub, and does it matter which port I use as 'out' to my PC? Im currently using port 5 as input, I'm I'm of the opinion is doesn't matter which port is used as input, and any of the others can be used as output?

No it doesn’t matter, they’re all auto sensing

I tend to always use port 1 for uplink more through habit than anything, on the older models it was labeled uplink or something similar

If you can afford it, get an extra switch and place this next to the router with a single uplink to one of the router ports.
Cable your other switches back to this switch rather than the router.
This will act as a distribution switch, allowing you to take down the router for maintenance whilst still keeping the rest of your network connected.
It will also give you more expansion for other switches in the future.
Just my thoughts tho

Back
Top Bottom