2008 K1200GT Clutch Issue

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking at a 2008 K1200GT but it is reported to have a noisy clutch when moving away, is this a known fault the owner doesnt appear to have much savvy (or possibly too much) so want to know if it would just be a case of new clutch with release bearing or such like being at fault. There is also a brake issue, can the ABS be bypassed on these similar to that of the GS??

Not had a GT before and like the look want something to get my teeth stuck into as well.

Thanks for any advice..

Mark

I had an 07, the clutch was awful with that squeak when hot. I took it to BMW and put the front wheel against a wall and gradually let the clutch out.
This was the only way i could demonstrate the fault to them.
The fitted a 1300 clutch better but i hated the gearchange and clutch.
Other people have them and they are fine with the clutch \ gearchange. Try it an make up your own mind.
I dont know anything about the brake ABS bypass but plenty have done it.
My preference would be to get it fixed rather than bypass.
Overall a great bike fast and handles well, i did 25000 miles on my 07 around Europe.
They can be picked up cheap and if you are handy you can sort the issues.
Like any full dress bike the bodywork should be removed for a thorough cleaning and ACF type treatment.

...................................................................................

Attachments

• NR1.jpg
    NR1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,545
My 08 K12GT also had a noisy clutch as you describe, only noticeable when pulling off quickly - i.e. giving it a real handful from standstill - and it did seem to be worse when the engine was hot. It never got any worse over 6 years and 30,000 miles so perhaps isn't a worsening problem.

The gearbox was just clunky and noisy all the time but, again, never got worse and I never got the feeling that it was about to break.

It's a lovely bike. I test rode a K1300 to replace it but the one I tested vibrated much more. Don't know if that was typical.

Funnily enough, today I cam across a BMW workshop manual on CD-ROM in my glove drawer. If you go ahead with the purchase and want it, let me know and I'll post it to you. (Remind me it's in the glove drawer in the conservatory!)

Hi All,

Looking at a 2008 K1200GT but it is reported to have a noisy clutch when moving away, is this a known fault the owner doesnt appear to have much savvy (or possibly too much) so want to know if it would just be a case of new clutch with release bearing or such like being at fault. There is also a brake issue, can the ABS be bypassed on these similar to that of the GS??

Not had a GT before and like the look want something to get my teeth stuck into as well.

Thanks for any advice..

Mark

whats the mileage ? mine has 47K on it and I've just had a Barnett clutch fitted, thats stopped the dragging and clunking, all very smooth now, the clutch design is pretty crap and although most of the plates were immaculate the end plates were down to metal ! the squeal can be the metal to metal contact, although it could also be the baskets wearing, a used 1300 clutch basket will fit, and the barnet clutch is around £165 so not the end of the world (plus whatever you have to pay to have it fitted?) the ABS pump can be reworked (very expensive to buy new ! ) I like my 2008 and have no intention of replacing it, even though I've had it for 3-4 years, its comfy and fast and I cant be assed to be honest :aidan

The issue with the ABS is that the pump motor brushes seize in the brush carriers and you get the well documented error codes :

24048 Power Supply to Pump motor faulty.
24049 Power Supply to Pump motor faulty.

The fix is also well documented, there is a detailed video on YouTube for a K1200 GT

Clutches can rumble until the lever is pulled-in; not had a pulling-away noise but mine is a K1300GT and lots got changed between models.

They can cost a LOT of money to fix - I pay for the Extended Warranty on mine for peace of mind (plus it means I don't have to flash £15K to replace it with a lardy K1600 which is slower :p)

The clutch is an odd design, the bearing only gets lubricated when the clutch lever is pulled-in, so the hot advice is to stay in gear at the lights.
Try the EuroKClub forum K12/K13 section for more info (tip - do a search on the whole site first - plenty of stuff about clutches, changing plates etc.). Don't be put off by the old farts and their "we've said this a 100 times" know-it-all attitude, there is a lot of useful stuff on the site.

The 1200 is barely slower than the 1300 - it is an epic engine, a superbike in touring clothes.

HTH

A

Clutches can rumble until the lever is pulled-in; not had a pulling-away noise but mine is a K1300GT and lots got changed between models.

They can cost a LOT of money to fix - I pay for the Extended Warranty on mine for peace of mind (plus it means I don't have to flash £15K to replace it with a lardy K1600 which is slower :p)

The clutch is an odd design, the bearing only gets lubricated when the clutch lever is pulled-in, so the hot advice is to stay in gear at the lights.
Try the EuroKClub forum K12/K13 section for more info (tip - do a search on the whole site first - plenty of stuff about clutches, changing plates etc.). Don't be put off by the old farts and their "we've said this a 100 times" know-it-all attitude, there is a lot of useful stuff on the site.

The 1200 is barely slower than the 1300 - it is an epic engine, a superbike in touring clothes.

HTH

A

what he said, plus the 2009 year 1200 had most if not all of the 1300 mods done to the bike from the factory, certainly the clutch basket was improved for that model year

My clutch used to squeak when pulling away. I had it replaced by the BMW shop where I bought it from. No problems since. K1200 R SPORT.

Back
Top Bottom