2009 f650gs radiator fan not cutting in.

wpm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys my wife's radiator fan has stopped working I have checked the fan motor by connecting it to a battery and that is fine. Other than the thermostat in the rad can it be anything else?

Cheers.

Hi bud no fuses on this model it's a canbus network system.

Hi bud no fuses on this model it's a canbus network system.
Bugger;

If, the motor spins directly of the battery, it could be that it either isn't getting a feed (from the thermostat) or that there is too much resistance at the fan motor and the canbus is shutting it down due to excess current required.

I had a partial seizure on my Trophy, worked fine off bike, or with 12v direct.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Cheers bud I think it needs to go to the shop I hate electricery

Had my mechanic mate plug it in to reset the service light and while he was there he checked all the other components and the fan would not operate and showed up a fault.
I have tested the fan and it's ok but can't find the temp switch. I know the thermostat is in the rad but where is the temp sensor?

Found tow sensors on the back of the block is one oil and the other water? One is gold in colour with two wires going to it the other is silver with one wire

My guess is that the two wire sensor is for the fan, and the single for the temp gauge. You could try removing the two wires and touching them together
and the fan should work?

Found tow sensors on the back of the block is one oil and the other water? One is gold in colour with two wires going to it the other is silver with one wire
Silver one, will likely be oil switch, they usually earth via engine, and gold for water temp.

Well the plot thickens, replaced the fan and still nothing I crossed the terminals to the temp,sensor and still nothing no power going to the fan connection! Any ideas folks?

Well the plot thickens, replaced the fan and still nothing I crossed the terminals to the temp,sensor and still nothing no power going to the fan connection! Any ideas folks?
You've bypassed the sensor, and still nothing. As it understand with canbus, fan gets triggered by signal from sensor. If I wrong, hopefully someone will correct my error.

Check with gs911 (other types are available) see if it shows any faults.

Check continuity of wiring, looking out for any chaffing/damage.

It's sure getting a little frustrating hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation.
I don't have a Gs911 unfortionatly

I think on post 8 he gas had a mate reset the service light and seen a fan fault. Might of been a 911 or a general diagnostic bit of kit.

That's right Steve he is a bike mechanic so I think I may have to book it in with him for some further diagnostics.

Had my temp warning light come on in traffic last weekend. 2012 650GS SE - 37k miles
Luckily I have GS911 ( see piccy number 3)
I tried to cycle the fan to come on via the GS911, but no joy.
Rang my local BMW dealer = £176 for a new fan motor, I don't fink so.

Found a 2017 fan from a F800GS Rallye on eBay, that had done 3k miles b4 front end smash.
£60 or offers, got it 4 £50 posted.
Arrived in 3 days.
Checked the date on it when it arrived & definitely a 2017 fan.
The seller is selling loads of other parts all imaculate.
Plus 100% feedback on over 4k items..

Fitted it this afternoon, now working great..

Only tools needed - 2 X torx bits, 2 cable ties & pliers to open the hose clamps.

Majority of time consumed was removing / refitting all the plastics.

:thumb

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1554498443704.jpg
    FB_IMG_1554498443704.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 72
  • FB_IMG_1554497723123.jpg
    FB_IMG_1554497723123.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 88
  • FB_IMG_1554497728258.jpg
    FB_IMG_1554497728258.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 74
  • FB_IMG_1554497930768.jpg
    FB_IMG_1554497930768.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 97
Hi ash, I have bench tested the fan and it works fine on the bench but just in case I have ordered a second hand fan to,see if I can get it working again. Very frustrating.

Hi ash, I have bench tested the fan and it works fine on the bench but just in case I have ordered a second hand fan to,see if I can get it working again. Very frustrating.

Luckily for me it was just the fan...
My old one was very notchy & not easy to turn by hand.
So I think it was triping out & hence the fault on puter readout.

Back
Top Bottom