Starter relay

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is there a way of testing the starter relay on my R90/6, I fitted a recon starter from Motorworks,as soon as I fitted and connected the new one it started spinning with the ignition off,I could only stop it by disconnecting the battery
Any thoughts?

Sounds like the relay had stuck on. You could take the cover off and clean up the contacts.

Fitting a slightly more modern relay is not straightforward as it is a route for most of the power for the rest of the bike, I think that Snowbum might have some info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A relay is basically a switch, so you should hear it click on when the switch circuit is completed.
Most variations on relays simply use it as a take off point for either switched of unswitched power so if an alternative relay is used it might be possible to just splice any extra cables in where required.
Bikes with Valeo starters require a heavier(40 amp?) relay as the Valeo solenoid draws more current than the Bosch, and this extra load can weld the earlier relay contacts together, which seems to be where you are now!

Are you absolutely sure that you have the correct starter for your bike...........Motorworks tend to go by build date and they can be wrong.
The only way to check is to count the number of teeth on the flywheel, if you have 92 teeth you need an 8 tooth starter, if you have 111 teeth on the flywheel you need a 9 tooth starter.

The later bikes have 111 teeth, but who knows what has happened to your bike in the past

Motorworks supplied me with the wrong starter for my 90/6, and one of the things that happened was that the relay stuck on, running the wrong starter and having the starter running whilst the engine runs really mucks up the teeth on your flywheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you absolutely sure that you have the correct starter for your bike...........Motorworks tend to go by build date and they can be wrong.
The only way to check is to count the number of teeth on the flywheel, if you have 92 teeth you need an 8 tooth starter, if you have 111 teeth on the flywheel you need a 9 tooth starter.

The later bikes have 111 teeth, but who knows what has happened to your bike in the past

Motorworks supplied me with the wrong starter for my 90/6, and one of the things that happened was that the relay stuck on, running the wrong starter and having the starter running whilst the engine runs really mucks up the teeth on your flywheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it is the correct starter, 8 tooth came off ,replaced with a recon Bosch unit from motorworks

Sounds like the solenoid contacts are welded together. Easy to test. Remove the long lead from the solenoid and touch it to the link connecting the solenoid to the starter. If the starter only runs when you connect to the link the solenoid is the culprit.

With the lead off measure the resistance between the two terminals on the solenoid. If it's always near zero solenoid is the culprit. Easy to fix. Alternatively post back to Motorworks and ask for a non faulty one.

No, I thought about it for 5 minutes. When I came out of intensive care I was stuck in bed with a drip in my arm and my phone was my only form of entertainment. Normally I am far too busy having fun to spend time on social media.

Back
Top Bottom