Trip away in May to September 2019.

Tuckshop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I would like to get away for 10 days or so from around 18th May 2019, prefer some WW2 stuff to see but I can be flexible.
Could be D-Day stuff, U-Boat pens, Baltic Germany, Cold War sites etc......
Then again, Scotland, England, Tarn Gorge, Pyranees, Germany are places I would like to go if not this time then in July, August or September..... will be doing a short 5 days around Wales just after the August Bank Holiday....
Not really interested in the old Eastern block countries or south of the Med.

Prefer cheaper hotels or B+B's rather than camping but camping is not ruled out.

Prefer 3 to 6 hours max on the bike daily regardless of distance but prefer 50 to 80 mph.
Would be using a full fat R1150RT so no gravel or goat tracks.

Has anyone got something in planning or would like to put something together with me?

There will be plenty of useful threads on here without doubt ..my IT skills do not allow me to copy links and do complicated stuff like that but use the search tool for your places of interest etc and after a few hours of reading what these chaps have been up to you will be ready to go ! Good luck with your trip.:)

Yes, I have trawled through many a post on here of what and where, most enjoyable - I was looking to see if there was anyone who might also be interested in travelling on or about those dates.

just returned from Verdun, France and Sistig, Germany.

Spent 4 days looking around Verdun area, Stayed at Le Village Gaulois on recommends from here - nice place, nice people & good food.
Looked around Chattancourt, the Ossary, Fort Douaumont and Fort Vaux.

In Germany stayed at Eifel Hotel Haus West, near Kall and Simmerath. Another very nice place.
Moved on to just inside Germany to visit a few "Battle of the Bulge" sites but ended up just going to the museum in Diekirch, Luxenbourg. This is a must see for WW2/Bulge buffs - brilliant.

on our passage between the 2 hotels we visited the Maginot line fort at Hackenburg. (restricted opening times).
This was by far the best of the WW1 sites we visited - and our tour guide was a Yorkshireman!

Back
Top Bottom