1250 v 1200 is it worth it?

The worth it part comes from the bike which you actually ride.
It can also be a small scooter.

It’s worth it if you can afford it. Else don’t ask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The engine is a significant improvement. Is it worth it? Don’t give a shit cos i’m loaded and I just wanted one.

For all you poor people then no it’s not worth the extra dosh.

The engine is a significant improvement. Is it worth it? Don’t give a shit cos i’m loaded and I just wanted one.

Ta mate, when you have finished with it, can you donate it to poor me.............:D

OK I am Game , I owned a 2017 GSA. I updated and here are my observations with 500 k's. Gearbox no better. Engine smoother perhaps a little more power but not worth the upgrade IMO.

The good that made it worth it for me, Bike geometry is better and the handling is a big improvement. Bike feels lighter, which is saying something for a GSA, Suspension is much better. TFT is great for me, I couldn't read the other gauges. I could swap most of my accessories which was a small saving. Up grade cost me 6,000 quid which I thought good value for entertainment, most people spend more on wine over the same period.

i have a 2018 exclusive.

Is the 1250 better, probably, massively different? No. Did I buy one yes. Financially a good decision? No. Its not a dress rehearsal folks. Want it, get it.

OK I am Game , I owned a 2017 GSA. I updated and here are my observations with 500 k's. Gearbox no better. Engine smoother perhaps a little more power but not worth the upgrade IMO.

The good that made it worth it for me, Bike geometry is better and the handling is a big improvement. Bike feels lighter, which is saying something for a GSA, Suspension is much better. TFT is great for me, I couldn't read the other gauges. I could swap most of my accessories which was a small saving. Up grade cost me 6,000 quid which I thought good value for entertainment, most people spend more on wine over the same period.
Jeesus, you must know a few raging alcoholics!!

One of my mates changed over from a 2017 and reckons there's very little in it.
Another mate changed from a 2014 and reckons the difference is night and day.
The lad that changed from the 2014 got the HP GSA and got it with black wheels.........it looks the business.

Sent from a U11

I think you might be slightly out of touch to say the least. Most people do not spend 6 grand on wine. Congrats on the new bike though.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

I've done 500+ miles on mine now and still think it is a very worthwhile improvement. The gearbox is a lot better than my admittedly untypical March 2017 GS which was a bit clunky in the lower gears. The engine, now that I am giving it some beans pulls that bit harder, and though the 1200 was perfectly adequate, I am more confident to not change down a gear for an overtake on the 1250 when loaded up with pillion and luggage. One of the best improvements to me is the better low speed engine flexibility and reduced snatchiness, as the low speed characteristics of the 1200 could sometimes make low speed manoeuvres a little challenging, but all the other little improvements are also appreciated - for example the hill start is now actually usable and useful.

Using my degree in advanced man maths I even reckon it was almost financially justifiable! Cost to change from 2017 R1200GS TE low chassis to R1250GS TE low chassis was just over £5k. The equivalent three years of warranty I now have would have cost something like £1.5k for the old bike, plus in three years time as a 5 year old bike with another 5k miles per year on it it would have been worth at least £3.5k less as a trade-in than I got for it as a two year old bike. So there you go - it has paid for itself. Of course the new bike will probably depreciate by at least £5k over the next three years, but I have chosen to ignore that! After all, how do you put a price on the enjoyment from owning a new and improved bike?

Finally, an honest answer! :D

I am one of the lucky ones that can easily afford to go out and slap the cash for a spanking new 1250. I haven't. I figured that If I wanted faster, smoother, better handling blah blah blah, there are plenty of other bikes that would give me that and more for half the cost...just not plenty of adventure bikes. When is an adventure bike not an adventure bike? When it spends all of its time on tarmac and/or is never toured. Plenty of other contenders better at the job of mile munching for less, including sports-tourers.

However, I miss the point. Is it worth the extra, having ridden the newer LC v's the older one? How long is a piece of string? Only the OP can make that decision...no-one else can. For what it's worth, here's my take on things: Newer usually means some advances have been made in some/many areas, but not always. Depends what you buy a bike for. If you buy to keep up with the Joneses, then you'll have to have the latest and greatest if for no other reason than you'll convince yourself you've lost out otherwise.

If you buy a bike as a tool, then there's b*gger all wrong with the old model. So what if first to second can be a little cluncky?...it works and is reliable. So what if the newer bike is quicker on the standing quarter or out of corners. The old one is no slouch by any yard stick and plenty enough for real world conditions. I can easily keep up with sportsbike riding mates on my lardy 16 plate GSA in the twisties and as we're not looking to be measured for wooden boxes or have our licences removed, high speed stuff is totally irrelevant. Road conditions far more relevant.

What am I missing then? I am genuinely impressed by the newer bike's smoother delivery and punch plus handling is a little more polished but "night and day"? No-way under any stretch of the imagination. My 2004 Edwards replica RSVR was night and day better in terms of handling and power. That's a sobering thought but then again it wasn't an all-rounder although I have toured on my Aprilias...significant distances too.

As my bike is well spec'd, can carry loads in all day comfort and I happen to like some of the lumpy character I'm happy to hang onto my depreciation nightmare until it's run into the ground which will be some years yet (I hope!). That's a personal view not imposed on anyone else. If you have to ask "is it worth it" then it tells me two things. One, you haven't ridden one yet and 2) you may not be sure what, exactly,you want a new bike for other than keeping up with boxer progress? It won't be for all of us. There's a few die-hard hex head fans locally who wouldn't give tuppence for the new bike as they value different things and are happy with what they have. For others, it has to be the latest and greatest. I'd rather keep my hard earned disposable towards a few good holidays and to complete a new workshop I'm working on even though I can well afford a spanking new GSA TE. I just don't see what's so wrong with my old one that I'd lose any sleep over it. You can only make your own mind up. Had I not already bought a GSA LC, then I'd probably wait a year or two for the beta testing to wring out teething issues and then buy a new one. As it is, I'm a happy bunny with my 2016 dinosaur :beerjug:

I've not bought one for a different reason.

I simply do not like the colour schemes at the moment :blast

IF they had released a Triple Black Version GSA I would have bought one by now. Job Done.

But, I also get attached to my bikes as I do a lot of customisation, and I feel the R1200 GSA Triple Black I've got right now is PERFECT for me.

So instead of spending £5000 or more on a new one, in a colour I don't want, and have to go through all the hassle of refitting all my aftermarket farkle crap all over again.... nah I'll wait.

But I have just spent some money on suspension upgrades to keep my attention focused on it for the next couple of years :bounce1

:D

I'm just thinking that if they're now selling for £20k I might have to flip mine that I got for under list price last month... Lol.

I've owned several GS models since......a long time ago........and travelled 100,000 plus in lands far far away.

I picked up my 1250 on Saturday and completed 50 miles. I have always maintained the first 100 metres gives you 90% of the feedback.

The engine is smoother, flexible and gathers speed deceptively because, I guess, of the increased torque. The gearbox seems the same but I had to hunt neutral (it needs miles).

The brakes are fine, powerfull and easy to modulate.

The turn in seems faster and the bike lighter (in fact it's heavier) and more agile but that may be the tyres, new Bridgestone. The ESA seems smoother but I am wanting it to be so!

The old bike is a stonking all-rounder, goes like sh1t, and is easy to ride.

The new bike is better. Is it worth it.......test ride and rob a Bank or stay happy on the clonker.

I've not bought one for a different reason.

I simply do not like the colour schemes at the moment :blast

IF they had released a Triple Black Version GSA I would have bought one by now. Job Done.

But, I also get attached to my bikes as I do a lot of customisation, and I feel the R1200 GSA Triple Black I've got right now is PERFECT for me.

So instead of spending £5000 or more on a new one, in a colour I don't want, and have to go through all the hassle of refitting all my aftermarket farkle crap all over again.... nah I'll wait.

But I have just spent some money on suspension upgrades to keep my attention focused on it for the next couple of years :bounce1

:D

Warlord - Here's an idea, why not go the whole hog and get it Hilltopped too? You'll love it :D :D :D

Warlord - Here's an idea, why not go the whole hog and get it Hilltopped too? You'll love it :D :D :D

Look, when I need some bloke in Ostrich Feathers, shark teeth necklace and straw skirt flicking goat blood over my engine.... I'll call Att

It'll be cheaper, and equally entertaining... !

(Just got back from BMW, they're going to call me with a trade in quotation on a R1250 GSA HP....... Don't even frickin want one, so the price had better not be good) :augie

(Just got back from BMW, they're going to call me with a trade in quotation on a R1250 GSA HP....... Don't even frickin want one, so the price had better not be good) :augie

At this rate you will have had more bikes in 3 years than I have in 30 years........:D

Back
Top Bottom