1250 v 1200 is it worth it?

Hi Nick,
I pick it up tomorrow afternoon and cant wait.
Why did you come all the way up to coopers from Yorkshire?
We have a Norway trip planed for August and cant wait to see how it dose on the backroads in Norway.
Quite a big shift for me having owned Harleys for the last 20 years.
I bought a Varadero to ride in the winter and got hooked on the adventure style bike from that.

Ride safe .

I remember test riding the very first of the telelever air head GS's back in the late 1990's from Aberdeen BMW. We took turns riding it and the other new bikes in the range for 1995/6. I had a Mk1 GS R80GS and had a ride on an R100GS a few years earlier and back then, coming from an elderly R100RT, they blew me away. I didn't think I'd like them but compared to the R100RT, they out handled it, seemed quicker off the mark and were a hoot to ride. I was smitten.

When the telelever front came out I rode the R1100GS and was blown away by the advancement over the older R100GS. Much more punchy low down, smoother and that front telelever felt plain weird, but once you got used to it, it was great. Wind the clock forward several decades and a few bmws later and I test rode the R1200GS LC. It was as big a step on from the R1100GS as it was a step on from the R100GS imho.

The GS I always felt needed more mid and upper range power than the air heads delivered and the 1200LC delivered this in spades whilst managing to feel better handling to me. Whilst I'm sure that the 1250 will have moved things on further, I will not be buying one, even though I can afford one (for all those "you only dislike them because you can't afford one" nobs). I'm sure I'd love the 1250, but haven ridden just about every version of the bike since its inception, and owned a few, the 1200 does everything I want from a bike. I set of grip puppies means vibes through bars can't be felt and vastly improves long distance comfort. the vibey patch in the 35-50mph range in 3rd/4th is a non issue as I either ride above or below the offending revs. It accelerates fast enough to make overtakes (of any car) a breeze. It handles safely and sure footedly and its all day comfortable. If I wanted, faster, newer, better, I'd buy a 1260 multistrada but that would be missing the point of the boxer. It's a tried and tested long distance mile muncher that does it in relaxing comfort. It is a known quantity, for the most part reliable, and as an all rounder, I think is still the champ, the one to beat. For those who have bought the 1250, I'm sure you'll all love the bike, BUT for the sake of Pete, will all those braggart pillocks who keep banging on about " you're only not buying one because you can't afford one" put a sock in it and learn to realise that some of use are perfectly satisfied with what we have. The 1200 and the 1250 are both great bikes.
Overtake any car ? I struggled to hold off Skoda VRS ,it was embarrasing ! All I could think was I wish I was on my old ZZR 1400

I was 2 up and trust me the throttle was wide open, in fairness I probably should have dropped a gear but I thought Skoda shouldn't have to .I just hope it was a petrol not a diesel ! Bikes are not kings of the road that they used to be it used to take some exotica to keep up with a bike now all need is a £10,000 RS3 or similar. I'm also not a riding god like yourself Stick.

Nah, those days are long gone.

Lots of cars now will out run motorcycles. Just look at whats going round the Nurburgring now. Bikes get pushed out the way all the time.

Just let them past... don't even try.

I was 2 up and trust me the throttle was wide open, in fairness I probably should have dropped a gear but I thought Skoda shouldn't have to .I just hope it was a petrol not a diesel ! Bikes are not kings of the road that they used to be it used to take some exotica to keep up with a bike now all need is a £10,000 RS3 or similar. I'm also not a riding god like yourself Stick.

I can see that lol

I’m happy to let them past; I’ll catch them up a few minutes later at the tail end of a line of traffic doing 45mph and at that point a bike rules supreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an 18 1200 GSA ..My Buddy has a 19 1250 GSA .. So rode both right after each other.. IMHO 19 slightly more Torque, slightly more throttle reponse in first couple gears// We also di a couple roll ons from 30mph and 50 mph up to the "TON" ... I got him once by a bike length he got me once by a bike length or so... If both bikes were next to each other I suppose I would take the 1250...But Haven't go a smokin deal on the 18 last june.. and not knowing if any issues -short or long term will pop up with the 1250...Not One regret having the 18...

Overtake any car ? I struggled to hold off Skoda VRS ,it was embarrasing ! All I could think was I wish I was on my old ZZR 1400

ZZR1400 would not have helped in the twisties... wheelbase was too long and too heavy. Fookin thing would not keep a tight line on accelleration or flick easily.

Although you could get your knee down on a planned steady throttle.

Great in a straight line... too heavy for flicking about in corners you want a Superbike or Sportsbike for that. My 675R was great in the twisties, that was fast.

ZZR1400 would not have helped in the twisties... wheelbase was too long and too heavy. Fookin thing would not keep a tight line on accelleration or flick easily.

Although you could get your knee down on a planned steady throttle.

Great in a straight line... too heavy for flicking about in corners you want a Superbike or Sportsbike for that. My 675R was great in the twisties, that was fast.

.....:D

Attachments

• C8D90A3D-6CDB-449E-9117-D1D5CDC5AB16.jpeg
    C8D90A3D-6CDB-449E-9117-D1D5CDC5AB16.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 373

Being the owner of both a Skoda VRS (Octavia 245 bhp) and a 1200 GSA (Hilltopped) I'd suggest there's something wrong with the bike you were riding... My VRS is no match for my GSA...

Being the owner of both a Skoda VRS (Octavia 245 bhp) and a 1200 GSA (Hilltopped) I'd suggest there's something wrong with the bike you were riding... My VRS is no match for my GSA...

Yeah, you're assuming that VRS was standard... it most probably wasn't and had been modified.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-10-08-57-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-10-08-57-12.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 333

He was right up my arse through some bends,I have to admit I'm not the most confident 2 up on the twistie bits but I knew a long straight was coming up so I thought I'd waste him but I just managed to stop him overtaking me,like I said earlier should have dropped it down a cog or 2 plus the wife was giving me some grief.Coming from a ZZR it takes some getting used to the substantial loss of power,whack that throttle open in any gear and you could leave most things behind, on a straight anyway.I agree there is something wrong with my bike it's only got 125 bhp ish ! It was my choice to change and I don't regret it ,most of the time anyway but for fuck sake don't say a GS is fast because it ain't !

He was right up my arse through some bends,I have to admit I'm not the most confident 2 up on the twistie bits but I knew a long straight was coming up so I thought I'd waste him but I just managed to stop him overtaking me,like I said earlier should have dropped it down a cog or 2 plus the wife was giving me some grief.Coming from a ZZR it takes some getting used to the substantial loss of power,whack that throttle open in any gear and you could leave most things behind, on a straight anyway.I agree there is something wrong with my bike it's only got 125 bhp ish ! It was my choice to change and I don't regret it ,most of the time anyway but for fuck sake don't say a GS is fast because it ain't !

My mate on his GSA thought it was quick against my ZZR1400 once.... He has since changed his mind.

The tale is still spoken about today... that was four years ago.

The howl of those twin titanium Akrapovich and quickshifter..... not a cat in hells chance of keeping up.

ZZR1400 is a beast.

Two up on a GS kills any performance, you cannot compare to solo. A fully laden GS will Struggle against a modern 2.0ltr diesel. I know. Then you throw handling into the equation and you don't stand a chance.

Two up on a GS kills any performance, you cannot compare to solo. A fully laden GS will Struggle against a modern 2.0ltr diesel. I know. Then you throw handling into the equation and you don't stand a chance.

Nonsense. I only ever ride two-up and drive a 2017 BMW 320D. A GS LC is far quicker up to 100mph, although the 320 is faster at the top end

I've got the 230 and a stock GS and agree the bike is the quicker of the 2 at under 3 figures

Back
Top Bottom